I didn't git no bubbles!

PDA

Pulp
November 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
I tried Levi's bubble solution targets today. I didn't get no steenkin' bubbles.
But it was still fun. The Silly String was pretty good, and cow patties are always fun.

This might not should be in this forum since I was shooting a Mini-14, but since Levi mentioned the bubble targets, this is a followup to his post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ePXgfOpQo&feature=plcp

If you enjoyed reading about "I didn't git no bubbles!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lunie
November 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
.30-06 also failed to produce bubbles. I am disappointed Levi, you have lead us astray. :p

Speaking of Silly String, one of my favorite improvised targets: A can of Barbasol (or similar shaving cream)

Busyhands94
November 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
Perhaps the bullets are too thin and too fast, when I tried it with a pumpkin ball slug the containers exploded and there were tons of bubbles.

That being said, I don't own or shoot any high powered centerfire rifles. All I got is handguns, rimfires, shotguns and BP.

Try shooting it with a Colt or Remington, or perhaps an ROA. You might get better results. I found that a .38 Special worked, a .44 worked, .32's busted them open and produced lots of bubbles as well. Low to medium power pistol bullets or shot might be key here.

So it might be that you are using too powerful a weapon, too much hydrostatic shock seems like it's going to simply turn the bubble liquid into a fine mist. When I watched the video, I saw that the liquid inside didn't "splash" but vaporized instead.

Pulp
November 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
If you watch the video on large screen, you can just barely see the shockwave of the 4th bullet as it approaches the cow patty. Hard to see, but it's there. It comes in from the left, about midscreen.

If you enjoyed reading about "I didn't git no bubbles!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!