Questions/problems about my Certified Pre-Owned P226

PDA

gunsrfun1
November 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hello - I ordered a CPO P226 and it arrived at my dealer today. S/N 421xxx, West German. Cosmetically it looks great. I even think the barrel may even be new, because it does not have any wear marks on the top part; it's very shiny. My concern is with the trigger. There are two issues: One - when I slowly pull the trigger back, during the take up portion, there is some grittiness of some sort. It's hard to explain, but it does not feel perfectly smooth, almost like it is binding a bit. Once the take up is complete, however, the trigger pull in itself is very crisp with no creep. Two - the SA trigger pull is heavier than I expected. My FFL measured it at about 5 pounds. Sig advertises 4.4 pounds for SA. Now I know that is not a major difference, but I can feel it, and it's heavier than I expected. (I am going to use this mainly as a range gun). The reason I'm concerned about these two issues is that I've handled a SIG 226 before and did not encounter these issues. I have the option of sending it back and getting a replacement at no charge. Of course, the next one could be worse, so that is always a risk. So ... for those of you who actually own a P226, what are your thoughts and opinions? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions/problems about my Certified Pre-Owned P226" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
It was rebuilt by SIG to new standards.

As such, you do probably have a new barrel, and some new trigger parts.

As such, they need to be used to burnish the contact surfaces and get smooth like an old SIG should.

Probably it was way smooth before they replaced some parts.

Now you gotta start using it again for it to get smooth again.

In other words?

Forgadaboutit it and Shoot it!

It will get better with use, and you will get better shooting it to break in the new parts they put in it.

rc

Old Dog
November 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
Concur with above. In fact, I recently picked up another 226 CPO -- can't resist SIGs without the damned rails -- and pretty much the same experience. But boy oh boy, what soft shooters and soooo accurate.

9mmepiphany
November 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
I picked up a couple of CPO SIG 220STs a while back and they both had pretty good triggers...it really depends on the shape they are in when received at the factory.

I would imagine that they replaced all the springs as a regular item. If they removed the extractors, they would have had to replace them as it is considered a disposable part. One had a new style (not the bullseye one) takedown lever installed. Judging by their uniform finish, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave them a light bead blast.

What is replaced on each CPO is based solely on the condition of the original gun

TJx
November 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
That sounds like the exact same gun I handled at Bud's and ended up not buying because that spooked me. Put another way, the SA trigger pull had some resistance in the middle of the pull.
This was a few months ago so I'm sure it's not the exact same gun, so maybe it is just a break-in issue.
Not good news but a while back on Glocktalk someone bought the same P226 refurb, had some major issue with it, sent it back to Sig, it was bad enough they needed to replace gun, the replacement was a beat to crap gun, needless to say he wasn't happy in the least.
CEO Cohen is doing is best to damage Sig's rep like he did at Kimber.

F-111 John
December 1, 2012, 10:06 PM
Deleted

Rinspeed
December 2, 2012, 01:35 AM
Dry firing will help smooth up the trigger nicely.

gunsrfun1
December 2, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks all, I decided to keep it based on your advice, plus the fact that I really like the crisp trigger pull and didn't want to risk the next one being worse. I did notice one thing when I got it home -- the front sight is off center a bit. It looks like that's the way was orignally installed; I don't see any tool marks or scratches. Maybe that is what they consider "within normal limits." (Although I don't.) After I shoot it, I'll drift it accordingly if necessary.

coalman
December 2, 2012, 11:45 AM
I have a W. German P226. All original. My friend has a CPO W. German P226. My trigger is much smoother, is lighter and the break feels a bit more clean. I suspect any replacement CPO will be similar, or getting exactly what you want sight-unseen very hit-n-miss.

powder
December 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
Once you've shot it for a while, find a local SIG Armorer to you and have them drop in an SRT kit-should be less than $100. You'll love it.

Destructo6
December 3, 2012, 05:52 PM
In addition to the Short Reset Trigger, you may also want to get rid of the old style hammer spring/strut/spring seat. The old style uses a spring that is captive on the hammer strut and uses a steel seat that locks into the frame's notch.

I installed a SRT myself (very easy following a walk-through on AR15.com) and immediately noticed the difference in SA. However, DA was still heavy and gritty.

To rectify this, I installed the new style hammer strut, hammer spring (Wolff 16lb) and hammer spring seat and all of the grittiness went away. The trigger pull, mainly in the DA mode, was quite a bit lighter.

I went another step (partly because the new style spring seat and hammer strut were included) and installed the E2 grip kit.

I'm going to say that the SRT and new style hammer strut parts are almost mandatory.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions/problems about my Certified Pre-Owned P226" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!