Which would win a fight?

PDA

MCgunner
November 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
So, I was thinkin' about how mean hogs are. I mean, I've had 'em break off teeth trying to get through the wire of the trap at me. I would NEVER let one out alive. Anyway, I got to thinkin' about which would win, a 350 lb hog or a 400 lb black bear (not talkin' griz here) if you put 'em in a pen to fight it out? With a sufficient shield built up, I''m thinkin' my money is on the hog. Whadda ya think? Nothing serious here, just speculation.

One thing to consider, though, dogs will subdue a pig, but wisely won't rush a bear. Hmmm.....:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Which would win a fight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Texan Scott
November 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Depends... does the bear practice Muay Thai? He might be able to kick the pig to death.
:rolleyes: :D :p :neener:

Sky
November 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
My money would be on the bear claws and bear teeth.

jon86
November 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
What does this have to do with firearms?

MCgunner
November 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
Nothing, concerns animals and this is the hunting section. If it's inappropriate, delete it or lock it.

Bow hunting has nothing to do with firearms, either. Hell, I've hunted pigs with a knife.

Fast Frank
November 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
I don't know about the pig and the bear...

But my dad can whip your dad with one hand behind his back! :neener:

DeepSouth
November 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
Bow hunting has nothing to do with firearms, either. Hell, I've hunted pigs with a knife.

I've gotta ask. I you voted pig wins, and you've hunted pigs with a knife......Would you consider hunting a black bear with a knife?

Just curious.

BTW:
I voted bear

ColtPythonElite
November 27, 2012, 10:34 PM
Being mean isn't all there is to fighting. My granny was mean, but I doubt if she would have been much of a match for a cage fighter in the same weight class.:D....I vote "bear"....He's got the advantage of reach with powerful clawed limbs, plus speed and agility.

Magoo
November 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
Depends... does the bear practice Muay Thai? He might be able to kick the pig to death.

This.

Kick the pig!!!

rcmodel
November 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
Black Bears eat Pigs.
Pigs don't eat Black Bears.

Does that tell you who would win 99% of the time?

rc

o Unforgiven o
November 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Bear, almost no contest.

Fremmer
November 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
Bear, but that would be a cool cage fight!

Flintknapper
November 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
Bear wins (paws down).

Not unscathed mind you....but the decided winner!

brnmw
November 28, 2012, 08:16 AM

It doesn't but this is the "Hunting" section so I guess hypothetically if a Bear was "hunting" a hog and found it got trapped into a cage and had to fight to the death for his food the Bear would win! :D

LawScholar
November 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'm as wary as the next guy of a mean hog, because I'm a soft-bellied primate whose primary combat ability is intellect. If I was a thick boned, thick furred ursine creature with razor-like claws, nasty teeth, and brutal strength I would be less so.

Ain't never been a bear small enough to get close to (that goes triple for the fuzzy cubs).

rbernie
November 28, 2012, 08:53 AM
does the bear practice Muay Thai? He might be able to kick the pig to death.
For the thread win!

For those that don't get the reference: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=409071

LeonCarr
November 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
In my best East Texan trying to sound like he is from Chicago accent: Da Bears!

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

MtnCreek
November 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
A bear with his back to a ledge (or cage in this case) can whip anything that steps within his reach.

Now, if a coon grew to be half the size of a black bear, it would eat bear for breakfast. :)

Coop45
November 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
A bear isn't so tough, I've hunted bears butt naked before. Luckily I didn't find any.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
IF not-caged or limited in any way, a bear can easily climb a tree to retreat if necessary.

I'm not sure what the hog can do other than roll in the mud and smell-badly.:D

MCgunner
November 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've gotta ask. I you voted pig wins, and you've hunted pigs with a knife......Would you consider hunting a black bear with a knife?

Ben Lily did it. Used to be big sport in Louisiana back when they had a lot of bears. You stab 'em across the back, they always strike out toward the pain, or so they say. :D

Hmm, looks like the bear at this point is a 17 to 1 favorite. I'd stand to win a lot of money if the pig won. :D I've never seen a really POed bear, just a couple in the wild while hiking out west. The hogs I see are ALL POed and wanna rip my guts out, so I guess I'm a little unnaturally biased in the fight.

MCgunner
November 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure what the hog can do other than roll in the mud and smell-badly

A hog might take a swat at you, then he'll run for the densest cover he can find, which down here is pretty abundant. Now, I've met a guy, short fellow, had a scar from his naval to his left nipple. He was hog hunting, pig got loose of the dogs, no one had it's hind legs, pig laid him open. He told me he had to hold his guts in while they got him to the emergency room. It's a blood sport, put it that way, and sometimes, on occasion, the pig draws the blood.

MCgunner
November 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS1UfCfxlU

shaggy430
November 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
What about Al Gore and Manbearpig vs both the bear and pig in a cage match?

Godsgunman
November 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
I'd have to go for the bear. My real answer though is option C: a wolverine the same size and weight would whip 'em both.

Godsgunman
November 28, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hahaha, thanks for the link MCgunner.
Gotta love the roundhouse kick :)

Art Eatman
November 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Wolverine? Nah, a wolverilla. That's a wolverine on one end and a gorilla on the other. No way he can poop, which is what makes him so mean.

MCgunner
November 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
I think the meanest animal pound for pound I've ever dealt with was a badger. But, we don't have a lot of wolverines down here. :D

todayshighlights
November 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
Grizzly Bear vs. Gorilla. I pick Grizzly

Ike Arumba
November 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Huh? Art, you're from Texas, where I understand there are big and mean alligators with a head on each end. That they can't poop explains why they are so big and mean. But a wolverilla? That's kind of far-fetched. I'm rather doubtin' your story.

hirundo82
November 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
I think the meanest animal pound for pound I've ever dealt with was a badger. But, we don't have a lot of wolverines down here.

Well, they're both just big weasels, so the comparison is probably pretty apt.

Bull Nutria
November 28, 2012, 07:37 PM
Ben Lilly killed lots of bears with his knife to protect his dogs when the dogs had the bear bayed. He made his own knives to do so with. Check out the book "the Ben Lilly legend" by Frank Dobie. Ben was a helluva man and died rich from collecting fees from big ranchers in New Mexico for keep predators away from cattle. He was from North La and is still revered by those that know of him in LA and elsewhere. Lilly also collected typed specimens for the Smithsonian Institution in Wash. DC.

I am a Ben Lilly fan,

Bull

WYcoyote
November 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking the bear would be dining on pork ribs.

Kachok
November 28, 2012, 11:07 PM
If the bear had the will to fight something his own size he would win no doubt, he simply has more tools. But in the real world a feral hog is much more aggressive and downright nasty. 1st rule of the animal kingdom if you are not scared of it, then it is scared of you, (with VERY few exceptions, such as the badger). I have proven this point several times in my life.
I think a boar would chase a black bear all over that cage.

bogon48
November 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
Size being equal, I'd bet on the bear too. My relatives and their neighbors used to build pretty stout pens to keep animals away from their pigs and hogs. In that area, a bear was the biggest predator.

MCgunner
November 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
Size being equal, I'd bet on the bear too. My relatives and their neighbors used to build pretty stout pens to keep animals away from their pigs and hogs. In that area, a bear was the biggest predator.

Well, a barnyard pig has little in common with the wild boar. You can't pet these critters. :D

MCgunner
November 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
Well, I guess I know which would win in the gator vs pig battle. :D

http://www.23mm.com/image/2006/small/boar.jpg

brnmw
November 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
My real answer though is option C: a wolverine the same size and weight would whip 'em both.

Second that! :)
Talk about an animal that wakes up on the wrong side of the bed every morning.... I have only seen one once, and he was not too happy!

Zombiphobia
November 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
I voted hog, assuming it's a boar with usable tusks. They've got armor and vicious aggressiveness on their side.

The bear has thick fur and some gnarly claws, but I think the boar hog would have the bear bled out or disabled in short order.

Texan Scott
November 29, 2012, 08:32 PM
The boar is too heavy in the chest and shoulders to balance on his hind legs. If he can't get off all fours, there's no way he's gonna beat a bear trained in muay thai. Just sayin'.

splattergun
November 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
"Dan'l Boone kilt a bar on this tree 1762"
with a knife.

MCgunner
December 1, 2012, 11:35 AM
The bear has thick fur and some gnarly claws, but I think the boar hog would have the bear bled out or disabled in short order.

See, that was my "logic" exactly...if you can call it that. :D They're some mean so-in-sos and the big'ns have sharp tusks and know how to use 'em. They can slice and dice about as good as it gets and that shield over the shoulders is probably pretty bear claw resistant.

CraigC
December 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
What a critter usually eats has little to do with it. Four of the African Big 6 are vegetarians and hippos kill more Africans every year than the rest, probably combined. Black bears eat more berries and insects than anything. A black bear might win the fight but they're usually smart enough not to fight in the first place. I'd hate to be the bear that had to jump on a 400lb hog.

icanthitabarn
December 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
I grabbed a full sized coon out of a garbage can. didn't get a scratch even though he went ballistic. My friends were stunned ;)

CraigC
December 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
I grabbed a full sized coon out of a garbage can. didn't get a scratch even though he went ballistic. My friends were stunned
You need to either buy lottery tickets or life insurance. A big coon is VERY well equipped to defend itself and will whoop a dog several times its size.

icanthitabarn
December 2, 2012, 11:33 PM
Great sig line !

H&Hhunter
December 2, 2012, 11:47 PM
Four of the African Big 6

I've heard of the Big 5 Rhino, Elephant, Lion, leopard, and Cape buffalo and the dangerous 7 add hippo and crocodile to the big 5, but I've never heard of the big 6? What are they?

Well, I guess I know which would win in the gator vs pig battle.

I remember when that picture hit the web and the story variably was that it was taken in the Southern US, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida...

Did anybody else notice that A, that's not an alligator it's a Nile Crocodile and B, That's not a feral hog it's an African warthog. Which kind of narrows down the continent in any case.

You gotta love the net..:D

CraigC
December 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
I've heard of the Big 5...but I've never heard of the big 6?
It was my understanding that "they" decided the hippo made six. Whoever "they" are who decide such things.

Arkansas Paul
December 3, 2012, 10:52 AM
What about Al Gore and Manbearpig

No way either could take Manbearpig. It is half man, half bear, and half pig. I'm super cereal.

MCgunner
December 3, 2012, 01:28 PM
I love south park.

Did anybody else notice that A, that's not an alligator it's a Nile Crocodile and B, That's not a feral hog it's an African warthog. Which kind of narrows down the continent in any case.

Dude, you're WAY to serious about this thread.....http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-018.gif

Cosmoline
December 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
The black bear is almost certain to run away from that fight. They're not stupid, and for them it's always a question of costs vs. benefits. For the hog it's just pure mean and anger. What does the bear have to gain by risking injury? It will wait for something easier.

I think a boar would chase a black bear all over that cage.

Absolutely. Black bear are thinkers, and that would be the bear's downfall in this fight. They can calculate exactly how to get to a bag of suet hung fifty feet up out on a thin flag pole, and they also know to run from something as big as they are that's angry.

I grabbed a full sized coon out of a garbage can. didn't get a scratch even though he went ballistic.

That reminds me of a story about a woman down in SE Alaska who had a problem with neighbor cats coming through her cat door and eating her cat's food. She heard something out in the mud room and sure enough there was a big tom chowing down on food, her own cat cowering in the corner. She was having none of that and grabbed the cat by the scruff. About the time she got it up next to her, she realized from its weight and the enormous paws that it was not a house cat, but a full grown lynx. Thankfully the lynx was so stunned at the affront to its proud feline dignity that it froze long enough for her to toss it towards the cat door where it ran out into the night.

Godsgunman
December 5, 2012, 02:56 PM
Lesson of Cosmoline's story = Don't have cats as pets, good for target practice though.
Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Muskyman
December 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
In the wild a black bear would probably run away from an angry hog. I've seen plenty of them run away from our goldem retriever, and they are rarely predatory. HOWEVER, I've also seen many black bears trapped in live traps, and they are usually every bit as vicious as any hog once they're trapped in a cage. I can't even get close to the trap without them absolutely freaking out. Most animals are very defensive when cornered. Once in a while a big old bear will wander into the trap and be docile, but that's because that bear has probably been trapped many times before and knows it's just getting a free lunch and a ride.

Anyway, a black bear with nowhere to run would absolutely destroy a hog IMHO.

MCgunner
December 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
When you release a live bear from a trap, do you have to be in a truck cab to keep him from ripping you apart? :D

Muskyman
December 5, 2012, 09:25 PM
Depends on the bear, but sometimes yes. Sometimes they are even more agitated after going on a bumpy ride to an unfamiar place. Would I put my dog in the cage with a bear because they usually run away from the dog when they're not in a cage? Absolutely not.

Art Eatman
December 5, 2012, 11:36 PM
I'm a bit dubious that a bear could get a quick kill on a large hog. But any lucky swing of a hog's tusks could open a bear's femoral artery or stomach. Might well give the "win" to the hog.

Kachok
December 6, 2012, 12:59 AM
Having hunted hogs quite a bit I can tell you that they are outright mean and their tusks are a formidable weapon that slices thick leather gloves like a hot knife through butter (don't ask) Yeah if the bear were protecting it's cubs or were as mean as the boar it has a good chance, otherwise the pig has this one. How many bears are so mean that they keep trying to flip your truck to get to you after taking 5 rounds from a 30-06 at point blank range? That happened to a friend of mine in TX he swears he shot it in the head but I kind of doubt that part. His Ford Ranger bears the scars of that encounter.

Wild Bill of Red River
January 10, 2013, 01:59 AM
Coming late to the dance here, but a wolverilla is a cross between a wolverine and an armadillo, as I first discovered in the song "Wolverilla Rag" by Steve Fromholtz, an Austin musician back in 1973 or 74.
Being as mean as a wolverine and yet armor plated from his armadillo forebearers (not furbearers), he would whip both a bear AND a wild hog at the same time.
Shoot, those critters would make their burrows out of solid rock and spit out the gravel in piles in front of the openings. You can still see them in canyons above Red River, Silverton, Cripple Creek, Leadville and the other areas where gold was found. (The wolverillas would floss their vicious fangs with the thread they'd spin out of gold.)
For a website dedicated to guns, hunters and whatnot, I'm surprised none of you people have been up in the Rockies and not stumbled across some of their dens.
The reason Fromholtz wrote "Wolverilla Rag" was to pacify those beasts and make them go to sleep so at least he could get away after "seeing the elephant."
Next time you're in the upstairs country, take a look around for some of their dens yourself, but watch out behind you. They're sneaky.

Art Eatman
January 10, 2013, 09:20 PM
Farmhorse* and I argued about that back in 1967 when he was still in the Navy, living in San Francisco. But my definition preceded his. :D

* Steven Stills gave him that nickname.

41 Mag
January 19, 2013, 04:34 AM
I didn't get into the poll, but having plenty of experience with PO'ed hogs with tusk I would put my money on the hog.

Having seen what they can and have done to even vested dogs, not to mention the pine trees on my property with 1/2" deep gouges in them, plus myself being on the receiving end of some pretty exciting action, the bear simply wouldn't have a chance.

The first thing the hog would do would be to back up into a corner. Then he would wait until the bear came in and oncork on him like pro bowl nose guard on an unprotected quarterback. As he hit the bear he would rake those cutters along anything he could on his first pass and then regroup and come again.

Least that has been my experience with them, and if the bear managed to get in a good swipe and really hack the hog off, well that would pretty much do him in.

The last BIG one I had to deal with was the one below. The first shot hit him broadside at about 40yds and the 140gr BT simply PO'ed him, and he came straight to me slapping his tusk together to share the pain. The second shot was with a 25-06 literally at the muzzle as he charged and I barely got out of his way. He passed by, turned and was coming back for more when the effects of both rounds finally dawned on him. Still he was chomping those tusk together to the end.

Yep the bear might be more agile, and also have reach with claws, but the hog would take him out in short order. As mentioned above those cutters would open him up like a sardine can. Even with holes in them hogs are like 4 legged tanks, they just keep on going till the tracks come off.

(for comparrison sake, thats a 14" barrel on the Contender and as you can see that boars head has a bit on it, and the hog it's self has plenty on me.)

a98kdoc
January 19, 2013, 05:04 PM
The Troll would win

beatledog7
January 19, 2013, 05:49 PM

We're going to shoot the winner?

jmr40
January 19, 2013, 07:25 PM
A full grown black bear will kill and eat piglets if they can catch them. A full grown hog of roughly the same size as a black bear will have the bear running up a tree ASAP. Black bear are not at all agressive unless starving because of poor health or old age. They will rarely even defend their young, unlike the much more aggressive grizzlies.

Wylie1
January 21, 2013, 04:27 AM
My money is on the bear.

BulletArc47
January 21, 2013, 06:01 AM
I'll go with the supposed underdog, the hog.

H&Hhunter
January 23, 2013, 12:34 AM
Neither could beat a full grown bull Monarch butterfly, or a Central Arkansas River Valley Yellow Bellied Dragonfly for that matter. Just ask Art how our last encounter with a dragonfly bull turned out....

With all that in mind here is small brown bear taking out a a HUGE Russian boar. Never mind the drunk Russian narrating in the background........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBDAOY3Qwnw

rswartsell
January 23, 2013, 12:47 AM
Let a hog of any but the "hogzilla" internet variety get between a momma sow black bear and her cubs and the cost/benefit analysis goes out the window. You then see the advantage of size and 2 (or 4) vs 4 leg operation, claw and tooth vs tooth only.

Bears actually show some advantage of intellect in such as this even though pigs are supposed to be smart. If run of the mill boar pushes momma bears buttons he is headed for the great bacon processing plant in the sky. Momma might get hurt (probably at least a bit) but porky is done if he pushes ursis to unlimited combat.

gigemlaw
January 23, 2013, 12:49 AM
Rosie O'Donnell hands down.

Doubt the fight would happen unless moms stumbled upon cubs and piglets playing. My money would be on bear, who would probably die 12-48hrs later from wounds.

rswartsell
January 23, 2013, 01:12 AM
;)deleted in lieu of sanctions.

Certaindeaf
January 23, 2013, 05:05 PM
Honey Badger just don't care.

Field Tester
July 25, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! for that thread!! The GF and I had a great laugh reading it. Wish the OP was still around making great threads like that one :)

MCgunner
July 25, 2013, 08:42 PM
He's still around, but not necessarily making threads like that. Just check out the post count. :banghead:

It was whimsical thought to post this, but some folks kinda took it seriously. Oh, well.......I'd still bet on the hog against a black bear. :evil:

H&Hhunter
July 25, 2013, 09:00 PM
What if the bear knows Muy Tai?

MCgunner
July 25, 2013, 09:03 PM
Well, if he can jump over the pig and grab him by the hind legs, he can wheel barrow him out to the highway and push him in front of an F150....:D

tomrkba
July 25, 2013, 09:33 PM
My dogs would kill both of them and then look all sad and forlorn because they didn't have anything to chase. You'd think it was the end of the world.

Field Tester
July 25, 2013, 10:23 PM
MC, I tried quoting, didn't work on my phone. I meant the OP from the Suey Thai thread ;)

H&Hhunter
July 26, 2013, 12:29 AM
I once fought a black bear and a boar hog with my bare hands simultaneously.

Skyshot
July 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
Boars will try to charge and gore, on the other side, a mature bear will always go for the Coup de Grace on any hoofed animal. Going for the back of the neck or the jugular in the front, just as a lion would do. My guess is the bear would try to avoid the combat but when push come to shove he would prevail.

jack44
July 26, 2013, 12:36 PM
Or how about this 3 pit bulls against the bear?.

Art Eatman
July 26, 2013, 12:51 PM
Saw an ursus deadus one time. He'd been there a while. I couldn't bear the smell. But the buzzards and coyotes had hogged all the meat...

H&Hhunter
July 29, 2013, 10:52 PM
Art,

That bearly counts as a rational post. You are just hogging up all the band width...

Z1D2
July 29, 2013, 11:04 PM
Big Bear, unless its one of them lil' Fl bears then a hog wins IMO..

brainwake
July 30, 2013, 05:54 PM
we all know the gators are angry cause they got so many teeth and ain't go no toothbrush.

Art Eatman
July 31, 2013, 11:33 AM
Gator 1, Hog 0

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=143416&d=1307192208

H&Hhunter
July 31, 2013, 11:36 AM
Actually that should be, Croc 1 warthog 0.;)

Art Eatman
July 31, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hmph. A crock of hogwash from a worrywart.

jack44
July 31, 2013, 03:34 PM
how about 1 wolf against 1 boar

Direwolf131
July 31, 2013, 05:52 PM
So, I was thinkin' about how mean hogs are. I mean, I've had 'em break off teeth trying to get through the wire of the trap at me. I would NEVER let one out alive. Anyway, I got to thinkin' about which would win, a 350 lb hog or a 400 lb black bear (not talkin' griz here) if you put 'em in a pen to fight it out? With a sufficient shield built up, I''m thinkin' my money is on the hog. Whadda ya think? Nothing serious here, just speculation.

One thing to consider, though, dogs will subdue a pig, but wisely won't rush a bear. Hmmm.....:D
Black bear love nothing more then pork chops, if regions such as Texas had substantial black bear populations, they'd not have their current woes with feral hogs. However, last I checked Texas had but a few hundred token specimens.

As for fighting, once the hogs attain a certain size, they'd likely be off of the menu, but a 500lb bear would have little trouble killing a 350lb hog if he so desired to do so. Feel free to look at the bear photos in my sig line link, some of them are over 700lbs...

Direwolf131
July 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCgunner View Post

One thing to consider, though, dogs will subdue a pig, but wisely won't rush a bear. Hmmm.....

Black bear love nothing more then pork chops, if regions such as Texas had substantial black bear populations, they'd not have their current woes with feral hogs. However, last I checked Texas had but a few hundred token specimens.

As for fighting, once the hogs attain a certain size, they'd likely be off of the menu, but a 500lb bear would have little trouble killing a 350lb hog if he so desired to do so. Feel free to look at the bear photos in my sig line link, some of them are over 700lbs...

MCgunner
August 3, 2013, 10:01 PM

Bear couldn't possibly control the pig population. Humans can't, how possibly could bear? The Guadalupe Delta marsh is over-run with big gators that eat pigs and it's also over-run with pigs. :D Gators can't put a dent in the population. Their natality rate makes rabbits jealous.

Texan Scott
August 4, 2013, 01:28 AM
HAH! My first instinct when I saw this thread pop up: ask if the bear knows Muay Thai. Then, I realized I had already done so in post #2, last year.

This thread must be MUY TIRED.

Bush Pilot
August 4, 2013, 12:12 PM
If the bear put half the energy into fighting a hog as they do tearing up my cabin in Montana the hog wouldn't last very long.

Fomdiddle
August 4, 2013, 09:35 PM
The hog would eat the bear but the bear would have better taste.:) Fom

jim in Anchorage
August 5, 2013, 06:27 AM
The only pork I know is marked Oscar Meyer, but I've seen a bear gut and pin a dumpster real fast.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g450/jiminanchorage/_IGP7950.jpg (http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/jiminanchorage/media/_IGP7950.jpg.html)

MCgunner
August 5, 2013, 08:48 AM
Black Bear = big raccoons. :D If we had bear like we have coons around here, might be a bit more hazardous to walk the woods. They're not griz, though.

Direwolf131
August 6, 2013, 10:28 PM
Bear couldn't possibly control the pig population. Humans can't, how possibly could bear? The Guadalupe Delta marsh is over-run with big gators that eat pigs and it's also over-run with pigs. :D Gators can't put a dent in the population. Their natality rate makes rabbits jealous.
Oh yes they would, however the predation would not of course center around mature hogs, bear are no fools, they do not like tussling for their dinner, unless its just to tempting. Ask any farmer in serious bear country, they'll tell you of the bruins fondness for piglets, and that's just how they'd control the population of feral hogs in places such as Texas.

A single black bear is easily capable of killing a half dozen piglets per sitting, and if such a food source is abundant, and obtainable, they'll hop right to it. In the great lakes, folks were surprised to discover that the two greatest predators of whitetail deer were the bobcat, and the black bear, in exactly that order, neither of which really prey upon mature animals, instead targeting fawns almost exclusively.

Such would be the case with feral hogs, and make no mistake, black bear will come for piglets, its a preferred menu item, as any farmer can readily attest.

H&Hhunter
August 7, 2013, 07:27 AM
Zombie thread wins over black bear or hog every time.

Art Eatman
August 7, 2013, 08:30 AM
Er, uh, more than enuf? :)

jmorris
August 7, 2013, 09:09 AM

Ah, but would you hunt bear with a knife?

spottedpony
August 7, 2013, 11:20 AM
Or how about this 3 pit bulls against the bear?.

Thats one time i'd root for the bear! (And anyone who's ever had a family member attacked by a pit bull you'd understand that comment)

If you enjoyed reading about "Which would win a fight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!