Varmint light

PDA

Sg89
November 28, 2012, 03:24 AM
Hey folks, I'm wanting to try my hand at varmint hunting at night. A friend has some farmland overrun with an array of critters. Anyway, what are some decently priced red led lights? I'll be shooting at 100 yards and less. Ive seen several expensive lights by EWT, wicked lights, and some others but I can't drop that kind of cash on a light. I'm hoping to spend around $50 and buy used if possible... Just new at this, and lookin for some direction.

If you enjoyed reading about "Varmint light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
adelbridge
November 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
I have a green Ultrafire LED I picked up off ebay for $10 and it works out to 200 yards no problem. It is 1" diameter and it mounts with regular 1" rings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-quality-Ultrafire-5W-Green-Color-CREE-LED-280-Lumen-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-1-/300825000768?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item460a913b40

Art Eatman
November 28, 2012, 01:56 PM
Lots of "sometimes" for me: I have a Q-beam with a red lens cover. I also use a Streamlight SL-20. At very close range, just a basic flashlight.

To me, the key is to not put the light directly into a critter's face. Just pick up his eyes in the edge of the light. Doesn't upset them by blinding them. And I don't leave the light on full-time after I spot a critter. Just "blink" to stay aware of his location and direction of travel toward my call.

If you enjoyed reading about "Varmint light" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!