3-Gun Decision

PDA

Hunterdad
November 28, 2012, 06:39 AM
Just sold my Stoeger 2000 Defense that I was using for some informal 3 gun competitions. It was one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned, but it didn't fit me worth a damn and I really hated the recoil.

So, I'm now in the market for a gas operated semi-auto tactical shotgun and was hoping some of you guys could give me some 1st hand experiences. My budget is no more than $1000ish. I would like it to be a 20"-22" barrel. I was looking at the FNH SLP and like them a lot. I was also considering picking up a CZ 712 Utility and putting it together myself since its more rewarding that way.

I'm open to options and opinions.

Thanks
Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "3-Gun Decision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveracer
November 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
Remington 1100. In most of it's flavors, it's a WONDERFUL semi auto.
For your budget, maybe a model 11 (Browning A5) but you said Gas operated. I'll tell you recoil with the model 11 isn't bad at all, and it's FAST.

Hunterdad
November 28, 2012, 07:04 AM
I forgot to mention that I did take a look at the 1100 Tac 4 and its definitely a contender.

Justin
November 29, 2012, 01:57 AM
The FN SLP has, at least last time I attended a major match, made some serious in roads among 3-Gun shooters. They're also a lot cheaper to configure for 3-Gun than, say, a Benelli M2.

Avoid the 1100 like the plague. They don't hold up to serious 3-Gun competition, and you'll be changing O-Rings constantly.

ifit
November 29, 2012, 03:03 AM
id choose the vepr 12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp6-Ys3TOy0

dak0ta
November 29, 2012, 03:58 AM
I vote Mossberg 930

LeonCarr
November 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
I would still pick the 1100/11-87 due to the easy availability of parts and when something does happen it is much easier and cheaper to get back up and running. There are many threads including a good one at www.shotgunworld.com that explain what to do to keep it running. O-Rings such as the high pressure Viton rings sold at hardware stores hold up much better than the factory ones.

You can set up two 1100/11-87s (If buying the base gun used) for 3-Gun for the cost of one stock Benelli M2.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Hit_Factor
November 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
FNH SLP is the way to go out of what you mentioned.

I use a Benelli M4, its fast but heavy. M2 seems to be most popular.

1100/1187 will seem too slow.

Hunterdad
November 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
I really like the FN, but the price scares me a bit.

I'm honestly having trouble finding a good review of the 1100 that's related to 3-gun. I think I'm scratching the 1100 from my choices.

Hunterdad
November 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
Screw it.....buy once, cry once..right?

I'm just going to pony up and get the FN.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Justin
November 30, 2012, 12:04 PM
id choose the vepr 12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp6-Ys3TOy0

Magazine fed shotguns are almost universally limited to competing in Open Division. If the OP is just wanting to stick around Tactical/Limited division, he'll want to stick with a tube-fed semi auto.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2zulu1
November 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
I bought the FNH SLP with the 22" barrel a few years ago and I couldn't be happier. It's built to be handed down to your kids, forward ejection for shooting either shoulder. Put a C-MORE on the top rail and it's fast on target/s with incredible split times.

Good choice. :)

gotigers
November 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
Mossberg 930. I've used one for 2 years and 20 matches without issue. Fast/easy to reload, accurate with slugs, patterns tight and groups buckshot consistantly. I had to get a home security an switch the barrel out to a 24" nonported. If i were buying today, i would get a Moss 930 Jerry Miculek version.

777TRUTH
December 1, 2012, 05:41 AM
I admit my bias for CZ, I vote the CZ 712 Utility.

The Mossberg 930 would also be an excellent choice.

tarosean
December 1, 2012, 10:30 AM
but it didn't fit me worth a damn and I really hated the recoil.
I'm just going to pony up and get the FN.

Hope you tried it out...

Hunterdad
December 1, 2012, 02:28 PM
Funny you posts that. Had a chance to shoulder and FN today and it doesn't fit me worth a damn. I think I'm going to go with the CZ. I have a field model and it fits me like a glove. I also have a bunch of choke tubes as well as extended choke tubes. I like the idea of busing it the way I want, and I've always like to do things that other people don't do.

If you enjoyed reading about "3-Gun Decision" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!