shot in a handgun

PDA

kingcheese
November 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'm going be building a Traditions Kentucky pistol and i was wondering if i could shoot saboted slugs or shot through it, it is rifled?

If you enjoyed reading about "shot in a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mykeal
November 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
It's rifled.

What's wrong with patched round balls like it was intended for?

arcticap
November 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
The Kentucky pistol can be loaded and fired with either.
A shot charge would spread quickly from the rifled barrel if loaded loosely. Wrapping the shot in a homemade paper shot cup could be experimented with to extend the range a little bit.
Shorter and lighter saboted bullets might have a better chance of hitting their target.
For instance, MMP makes .40/.50 sabots that fit .399-.40 bullets.
But any .50 saboted bullet that will fit can be fired from it, and determining their performance would also require some experimenting.
A loading stand that will hold the pistol upright during loading and ramming might help with seating the sabot, as well as when loading patched balls.
And MMP also makes 3 Petal-EZ sabots for .451/.452 bullets that are the easiest to load into the bore due to their overall smaller diameter.

MMP sabots:

http://mmpsabots.com/

kingcheese
November 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
I just want to know what all i could do with it

Busyhands94
November 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
You can grind the rim off an empty .410 hull, cut it down to hold a half ounce, then slit the hull in three places. It works in my .50 rifle, and the shot pattern isn't all that bad at close range. It might work in a pistol, the twist is probably slower.

kingcheese
November 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
I was kinda wondering about making like a canister for shot using rolling papers?

Busyhands94
November 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
You can do that, in fact that's what I use in my .410 loads. It seems like it holds the shot together longer, not sure about the science behind it though. But the patterns do show it, they are significantly tighter and denser. The papers I use are the 112 packs of Bugler papers. They are cheap, have a lot of wood pulp and chalk, burn unevenly, probably have the stuff they use for envelopes as glue, and they literally taste like you're smoking cardboard. But for shotgun loads, they work very well. I also use them in 16 guage trap loads, and even .32 Long snake loads! You are taking cheap, crappy rolling papers and turning them into tighter patterns. That's king recycling right there. :)

Pistols meant for patched ball usually have a slow rifling twist rate, shot would probably work if you wrap in in rolling paper.

PRM
November 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
Get a smoothbore if you want good results with shot. Rifling and shot don't work well together. Your not going to hurt the gun...its just not effective.

Patocazador
November 29, 2012, 03:19 PM
Get a smoothbore if you want good results with shot. Rifling and shot don't work well together. Your not going to hurt the gun...its just not effective.
^^^^

I tried shooting a buckshot load in my rifled slug barrel in a shotgun. It went all over the place .. no pattern at all.

Busyhands94
November 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
Up close it's great for snakes, huge bugs, etc. that you need to deal with, but I don't think you'll be able to take a pistol duck hunting. Although, if you are looking for a pistol/scattergun you should get a Howdah pistol. IIRC you can get one that has a .50 barrel on one side and a 20 gauge on the other.

Again, the only way you could get respectable patterns from a rifled pistol barrel is if you were to use the empty .410 shotshell trick and wrap the shot in rolling paper. Fired from a rifle under 50 grains, it seemed pretty similar to a .410 shotgun at closer ranges.

Would I choose this option over a good ol' fashion break open .410? Nope. I'd pick the .410 because it's better suited for the job. But for deer I'm not using a .410 slug, but a .50 ball is perfect deer medicine.
Just my thoughts on this, I suggest you play around with shot loads. Not only does it give you an excuse to burn more BP, but it's fun too! :D

jason41987
December 1, 2012, 03:20 PM
just buy an extra smooth bore barrel if you want to shoot shot

kingcheese
December 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
How do you normally separate shot from powder inside a muzzle loader

jason41987
December 2, 2012, 07:19 PM
you stick a wad in between the powder and the shot.. then another wad to prevent it from rolling out the front of the barrel... on a rifled barrel though what happens is the wads and the clumb of shot will spin because of the rifling, and the centrifugal force will fling the shot out to the sides once it leaves the barrel which will give your shot pattern a halo shape to it, hitting everything but what youre actually shooting at

if you want to shoot shot and be able to hit well with it you really need to get a smooth bore barrel for it and those old single shot pistols arent difficult to change the barrel on as its not fixes to any sort of frame...

im not sure with the kentucky rifle.. but you should either have some sort of wedge, barrel ring, or end cap holding the barrel down in the front, then a screw holding it down in the rear.. leaving the lock in place it shouldnt be too difficult to remove the barrel... i know people who shoot longrifles, some caplock, some flintlock, and they have an extra barrel that smooth bore for bird hunting, rifles for deer

arcticap
December 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
How do you normally separate shot from powder inside a muzzle loader

A homemade wad can be made by rolling up some newspaper into a small ball slightly larger than the bore. Then use the ramrod to tamp the newspaper down on top of the powder and compress it as much as possible to create a seal over the powder. Then the shot can be loaded on top of it. The last step would be to ram another wad, over powder card or ball of newspaper that would need to be compacted to hold the load of shot into place so that it would stay in place and not fall out of the barrel.

A more conventional way to load shot into a shotgun using conventional store bought components is illustrated in the thumbnail below. A paper or plastic shot cup, paper packet or pouch that's filled with shot can also be loaded on top of the powder to increase the density of the shot pattern. There are multiple methods and components that can be used to load shot into a muzzle loader.

If you enjoyed reading about "shot in a handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!