Alumihyde 2 on Witness Frame. SN hid

PDA

Fixed Sight Training
November 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hello all. New to the forum but I ran into an issue with an EAA Witness..

In the middle of a RIA 9mm 1911 rebuild I decided to try Alumihyde 2 from Brownells and change the frame of my 9mm/22conv from black to Coyote Tan. Just to be different. How many black guns do you see every day?

I did a detail strip and went over the frame a few times with 400 grit wet or dry and almost took the S/N off. It's barely in the steel.

I guess I'm going to have to get a stamp set and stamp the number into the frame.:cuss: Unless someone has another idea?:banghead:

I don't know how to upload pics yet but they are here

http://www.fixedsighttraining.com/projects.html

Thanks for any input!

If you enjoyed reading about "Alumihyde 2 on Witness Frame. SN hid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Urban_Redneck
November 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
I would hire an engraver to "pick up" the serial number. IMHO, re-stamping could be construed as "altering" the serial number.

There's a very fine line when dealing with this sort of thing.

YMMV

Fixed Sight Training
November 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks U.R. I thought about that but I do have the recipt and the box it came in with the SN on it. If there was ever an issue I was planning on playing dumb. I rule at playing dumb. I don't even have to play.

NOLAEMT
November 29, 2012, 01:05 AM
But now its on the internet for everyone to see...

firesky101
November 29, 2012, 05:39 AM
Good to know, I always thought the S/N looked pretty shallow on my witness. Let us see the refinish when you are done. I sure would not mind changing mine a bit.

Urban_Redneck
November 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
I don't think "playing dumb" is much of a defense when dealing with the BATF.

$40 bucks to an engraver today, is cheaper than any lawyer tomorrow.

hardluk1
November 29, 2012, 05:04 PM
Whats the 1911 have to do with the witness frame?

hemiram
November 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
The serial number on my "Mossad" Tanfoglio 9MM in the "wonder finish" is very "shallow" and it almost looks like a gun that's been refinished, but it hasn't been.

Urban_Redneck
November 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
The reason serial numbers can't be stamped over is the same reason they must be stamped or engraved in the first place; Even if the serial # is ground off the metal beneath it can be etched to show what was once there (stamping and even engraving compress the metal beneath numbers).

Re-stamping(unlikely you have the same stamps as the factory), messes with this potential and that is why, it is illegal.

That is the condensed explanation I got from the BATF 15 years ago.

IMHO, If you cover the serial # with paint or it's not a huge deal unless the AHJ demands you scrape it off so the serial # can be read.

The BATF enforce gun laws with a vengance, ask any dealer or gunsmith that has ever been audited.

YMMV

Fixed Sight Training
November 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
I decided I didn't want to stamp it because that may be altering it. I checked with an engraver but it would be a 1.5 or 2 hour rd trip to drop and then another to pick up.

I think I'll just try to use a pick and clean up the S/N between coats and if someone official ever asks I'll scrape the coating off.

Thanks for the input.:) and I'll put up pics when I get done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alumihyde 2 on Witness Frame. SN hid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!