Glock 20 SF kBoom an experience I hope never to repeat!

PDA

Elkins45
November 29, 2012, 08:03 AM
About a month ago I blew up my new Glock 20SF. Evidence suggests this was due to the unsupported portion of a case failing. The gas venting into the frame blew out the magazine and the ambi mag hole cover blew apart. I dropped the gun, but I'm not sure if that was from the force of the blast or if it was because my brain immediately wanted the gun out of the way to check and see if I still had a hand!

Because it was a vey cold morning I was fortunately wearing gloves while shooting and so it wasn't quite as painful as it otherwise would have been. Still, it's an experience I don't recommend anyone duplicate if they can avoid it. My hand stung for several hours afterward but was otherwise undamaged.

The cost to repair it was $48 for overnight FedEx back to Glock and $47 for a new frame. I asked the guy over the phone if I could just patch it up with JB Weld and some duct tape but he didn't think that was a very good idea LOL.

The new frame/old everything else was waiting for me what I came home yesterday evening. They replaced the frame (new SN) but returned the original slide and barrel. I would call this good customer service from Glock: the frame replacement cost is very reasonable IMO because the failure that wrecked their gun was caused by the ammo. It's not their fault I have to pay overnight shipping to them.

Pix of the damage and the offending case:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/Lcrack.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/Rcrack.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/case.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 20 SF kBoom an experience I hope never to repeat!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hunter125
November 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
IMO Glock should have changed the design of their 10mm and .40 pistols as soon as people started to have KB's. I love .40, but I won't buy a Glock in .40 in part because of this issue.
I know there are aftermarket barrels like LWD that have supported chambers, but IMO I shouldn't have to buy aftermarket parts to make my gun feel safe to shoot. It also makes it more ridiculous that factory Glocks don't have this, since it definitely is possible.

hAkron
November 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
Glad you are ok. Glock designs their chambers to not fully support the case, I have heard because it makes the gun feed more reliably. You didn't say if you were firing reloads, but a factory Glock barrel is not ideal for reloaded high pressure brass. If that was a factory round then it might have been a fluke. If you intend on firing hot reloads, most guys seem to like after market barrels.

rbernie
November 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
Man, that sux. Was this factory ammo or handloads? If handloads - how warm were they?

I love .40, but I won't buy a Glock in .40 in part because of this issue.
I recently trading a bunch of stuff for a Gen4 G23 and a Gen4 G22, and the first thing that I checked was the chamber support. Imagine my surprise to see that the Gen4 barrels provide full case support, unlike my old Gen2 G22. I do not know when they changed the chamber/ramp profile, but I'm quite pleased with the change nevertheless.

Sadly, the Gen4 G21 still has The Worst Chamber Support In History and so I won't be trying one of them without first budgeting for an aftermarket barrel.

hentown
November 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
IF it was factory ammo, then the frame replacement shouldn't have cost anything. I couldn't help but notice it's Federal brass. I hate Federal brass. I've fired a bunch of my reloads through a bunch of Glocks, including a G20, with no such problems. I don't load nuclear.

HKGuns
November 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
*Perfection* -Glad no-one was injured.

TAKtical
November 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
Lol reloads. Look at that casing!

autospike
November 29, 2012, 10:27 AM

tarosean
November 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
They replaced the frame (new SN) but returned the original slide and barrel.

So the root of the problem is still the same. Least your okay

hentown
November 29, 2012, 12:12 PM

Yep, as long a the reloader is the same, then the root of the problem is the same...you got it!! :rolleyes::evil:

SDGlock23
November 29, 2012, 12:27 PM
I had a G20sf and sold it a few months back. I noticed rather quickly that even with mid-level handloads (using TiteGroup, Unique, Blue Dot, Power Pistol and Longshot), the brass looked awful. A good KKM barrel will solve this issue, but that's going to be $175 shipped to your door.

It's evident to me that if you're shooting a G20/29 bone stock, don't use full power loads. A full charge of Longshot gave me around 1260 fps and Power Pistol would do a tad over 1200, but brass looked bulged for sure. Seeing how I can get similar performance from my G35 .40 and brass costing nothing (with less bulge too, since .40 brass is a little stronger), I decided there was no point in keeping the 10mm around.

I've had two case-head separations in the past. One was in an XMm .40 using reloads and brass that was probably too old. The second was in my G20sf with KKM barrel, looked just like your brass above, but no damage at all...the mag just came flying out the bottom. Same deal, old Winchester brass. Needless to say, I learned my lesson...inspect the brass and if it looks old, don't use it, or at least don't load it warm.

For those concerned about .40 chamber support, it's much better than it used to be. Still not on par with a KKM barrel, but definitely better than older .40's and the 10mm.

2wheels
November 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
My thoughts exactly, I might be buying an aftermarket barrel if I were the OP...

45_auto
November 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
A good KKM barrel will solve this issue, but that's going to be $175 shipped to your door.

I've had two case-head separations in the past.

The second was in my G20sf with KKM barrel, looked just like your brass above

So what's the point of the aftermarket barrel if it has the same case support as the factory barrel? Doesn't sound like it solved anything.

hardluk1
November 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
It is sad that to be safe you have to buy a quality barrel for the 10mm and 40sw . How about the 357 sig. Could or should have same issues there two.

3twelves
November 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Switched from Glock to M&P 5 years ago and never looked back. M&P's actually have supported saami chambers.

Fire in the hole!

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Soldier-Glock-Grenade.jpg

Dan-O
November 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
^^^^^^Since when did Smith and Wesson make an M&P in 10mm?

Harluk1.

Glock 357 sig barrels have fully supported chambers.

rbernie
November 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
It issad that to be safe you have ato buy a quality barrel for the 10mm and 40swAnd in post #4 of this thread, I refute that (at least for Gen4 G22s).

Inebriated
November 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Yep, as long a the reloader is the same, then the root of the problem is the same...you got it!!

This guy gets it.

C0untZer0
November 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

So exactly what are you going to change so that you don't repeat the rexperience of having a gun blow up in your hand?

Oceanbob
November 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
Correct that GLOCK .40 has more case support these days.

http://i43.tinypic.com/scujd2.jpg

hentown
November 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
Aftermarket barrels generally have tighter chambers and more support @ 6 o'clock. Also varies amongst manufacturers.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Walteridus/LWD-KKMammopic.jpg

atblis
November 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
Isn't the FC stamped Federal brass notorious for this?

jr_watkins
November 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
As TAKtical pointed out...look at that brass! Really!! How could you have any faith and confidence in a cartridge with brass that beat up? How could you not question the quality of the reload?

hentown
November 30, 2012, 07:25 PM
I've never loaded a piece of brass that looked that bad.

xXxplosive
November 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm.....no primer bulge just case rupture.....reload.

dogtown tom
November 30, 2012, 08:26 PM
Why on God's green earth do people ignore the manufacturers warning regarding reloaded ammunition..........especially in a Glock?:scrutiny:

That empty case looks like it has been scrapped head first down a concrete driveway.

Using that brass case in any 10mm is a disaster waiting to happen.

Jaymo
November 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
He could have used that brass in a Star Megastar and gotten away with it. :)
But then, It's a Star and not a Glock.

I'll be very honest, I have NEVER found full power 10mm ammo to be any kind of pleasant to shoot from a Glock, except for UNpleasant.

Elkins45
November 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
Lots of interesting commentary in this thread. Some of it is actually reasonable, but some of it is uninformed conjecture.

The load in question was well below loadbook max and was loaded in what was purported to be once fired brass. It looked perfectly fine when loaded with no evidence that it was weak or worn. I have previously fired about 250 rounds of this very same ammo through my S&W 1006 with no problems.

As TAKtical pointed out...look at that brass! Really!! How could you have any faith and confidence in a cartridge with brass that beat up? How could you not question the quality of the reload?

I've never loaded a piece of brass that looked that bad.

That empty case looks like it has been scrapped head first down a concrete driveway.

It never occurred to any of you that the reason it looks so bad is because it ruptured? The case mouth was crumpled and oblong when I manually ejected it. What would you conclude from that? The entire chamber area and the top of the magazine was covered in black soot.

Hmmmm.....no primer bulge just case rupture.....reload.

Why would the primer bulge when the gas pressure had a brand new escape hole to flow through? I'm not understanding the reasoning behind this statement.

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wow. I have shot 1000's of rounds through my Glock 20C with no issues. Including some very hot ammo. 95% of those through a LWD 6" barrel, and the rest through the ported barrel.

orionengnr
November 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
I have to say, you all are making me re-think my current plans.

As a current 10mm owner and shooter (DW 1911), I have been looking at the G20SF as a supplement/alternative. The only way I can afford to shoot 10mm is as a hand loader.

I guess I could say that the same is true of any centerfire caliber, but one may pick up spent cases in 9mm/.40/.45 at the range or buy once-fired cases by the thousand very economically.

This is not true of 10mm.

The more I read about Glock's unsupported chamber and the damage that a standard Glock barrel inflicts on that pricey 10mm brass (to say nothing of the polygonal rifling which is not lead-hand load-friendly) the more I am thinking that a G20SF is not a wise choice for me.

That is unfortunate, because I am no different from those who are looking for our next gun, and trying to find a way to rationalize it. :)

Reality can be a tough mistress.

Jaymo
November 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Ka-bewm!!

Drail
November 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
If you plan to run a lot of "zippy" 10mm in a Glock buy some insurance - like an after market barrel. Especially if you plan to get more than one or two loadings out of your cases.

Thompsoncustom
November 30, 2012, 10:54 PM
glocks maybe a great gun when it comes to reliably but not so much when it comes to strength and there is no way I would run any warm 10mm through it let alone hot ammo. A barrel seems to fix most of there problem but if you plan on reloading and not getting a different barrel I would just recommend getting a different gun.

wally
November 30, 2012, 11:03 PM
The SAMMI max pressure between .40S&W and 10mm is about the same as 9mm and 9mm +P

Nobody blows up 9mm pistols with +P ammo. IMHO Glock poor case support is the problem here.

WinThePennant
November 30, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have to say that I don't think I've ever heard of a Glock Ka-Boom that didn't involve reloaded ammo (at least on Internet boards).

The one downside to Glock is that they don't seem to handle reloads like other guns.

No biggie to me since I'm not (fill in blank) enough to go against the manufacturer's sternly and oft-worded instructions to NOT USE RELOADS.

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Well most factory 10mm is very light so hard to say it always happens with handloads. This may have happened with Buffalo Bore, for example.

Blue Brick
December 1, 2012, 12:53 AM
Its funny how many Glock owners just accept this as SOP.

Balrog
December 1, 2012, 01:10 AM
I wonder how many times that piece of brass had been reloaded?

I think its funny that a reloaded round kabooms a glock, and its automatically the fault of the Glock.

Miked7762
December 1, 2012, 02:58 AM
Reload or not, the case webbing looks to be much too thin. From the photo it appears the webbing stops right at the forward section of the rim cutout. Defective brass?

3twelves
December 1, 2012, 03:08 AM
http://christopherburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/how-a-glock-works.gif

Blue Brick
December 1, 2012, 04:52 AM
I think its funny that a reloaded round kabooms a glock, and its automatically the fault of the Glock.

Safety is priority number one.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Blue_Brick/HPIM1882.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Blue_Brick/HPIM1879.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Blue_Brick/HPIM1880.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Blue_Brick/HPIM1878.jpg

hentown
December 1, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'd rather blow up a Glock a month than to have to pull a Ruger trigger once! :evil:

atblis
December 1, 2012, 09:21 AM
Nobody blows up 9mm pistols with +P ammo. IMHO Glock poor case support is the problem here.
Not exactly, though it certainly doesn't help. There are difference between 10mm and 9mm irrespective of the gun firing them. 10mm is a relatively weak case. 40 S&W cases are stronger. 9mm even stronger. 9mm can take some serious pressures.

I suspect the gradual reduction in 10mm data/loads is due to a combination of the crap FC brass combined with the Glock chambers rather than solely being Glock's fault.

I keep seeing these pictures of how Glock improved the chamber support on the 40 S&W pistols, but never a comparison of 10mm. Did Glock also revise the feed ramp on the 10mm guns?

9mmforMe
December 1, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah only real men can pull the trigger on a Ruger. :evil:

tarosean
December 1, 2012, 11:24 AM
I have to say that I don't think I've ever heard of a Glock Ka-Boom that didn't involve reloaded ammo (at least on Internet boards).

In their infinite wisdom to beat S&W to the market with a 40S&W Glock, which they did accomplish BTW. However, many of the first gen 22's kaboomed due to the lack of case support.

THE MACHINIST
December 1, 2012, 01:46 PM
Glock specifically states no handloading, my friend put a squib thru and there was enough power to rack the slide and chamber a fresh round which he set off and bulged his barrel and locked the gun up on a g23...and i witnessed it all.

Jaymo
December 1, 2012, 03:12 PM
Funny how Glocks can fail, and the fanboys always blame everything but the gun.
Broken triggers, frames, faulty extractors, ejectors, recoil spring assemblies, and slide rails.
And the Glock's still "perfection".
Oh, I forgot, those are all "old issues".
Yet, when another brand of gun has had an issue in the past, that's proof that it's garbage and you should just buy a "perfect" Glock instead.
Fanboyism is bad. It leads people to believe Gaston Glock's BS marketing and BS "torture tests".
"We froze the Glock in a block of ice, thawed it out, and it worked." Gee, a gun that's not frozen solid actually works? Amazing.
"We dunked it in mud and then washed all the mud off, and it worked."
Gee, a gun that's not full of mud works? Brilliant.
"We ran over it with a gutted-out, stripped down van, with half the air let out of the tires and it didn't break."
Really? My boss in 1990, ran over his POS Davis .32 with a U-Haul JH. That's the 26 foot, IH diesel truck. Tire pressure was 110 psi cold. It didn't crack the "cheap, pot metal" frame, and the gun worked perfectly afterward. THAT'S a torture test, especially, since Davis' guns weren't known for reliability.

I don't hate or dislike Glocks. They don't fit my hands.
What I hate is Gaston Glock's BS. "It's not PLASTIC, it's POLYMER!!"
He has successfully preyed on the average person's ignorance of the subject of plastics.

It has a "safe action" trigger. It won't fire, unless you pull the trigger. Wow, really? All other guns must have thought triggers.

Glockedout17
December 1, 2012, 03:33 PM
So as long as you stick with Glock 9mm's you should be fine right?

OilyPablo
December 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
So as long as you stick with Glock 9mm's you should be fine right?

And you will be fine with other calibers as well. Just use knowledge - standard factory ammo will have no issue in a Glock 10mm.

I'm NOT defending Glock. I'm no Glockfiend - own lots of guns, including some Glocks. They make a gun, in most case satisfactorily, but they certainly are not the best. I do think it's really screwy that Glock doesn't properly design the 10mm barrel to prevent this with even the hottest, weakest brass ammo. Well I guess they have changed the barrel a couple times. I bought a longer barrel because I wanted it, the side effect is I don't have to worry much about unsupported chambers.

I was also under the impression the Colt Delta elite chamber is not fully supported, but better than Glock.

powder
December 1, 2012, 03:48 PM
"Evidence suggests this was due to the unsupported portion of a case failing. The gas venting into the frame blew out the magazine and the ambi mag hole cover blew apart. "

Err, gas vents through the barrel, through the frame, and out the ejection port. Look through the side of a Glock, where the frame meets the slide: it's see-through as it is part of the design in being practically self-cleaning.

What blew out the magazine was the explosion through the sidewall of the overused brass casing. I have several aftermarket barrels for my Glocks (No, none of them are LWD) and they are similar in support to Glock's; .40, .45. 9mm. 10mm, and 400 CorBon.

Thousands of rounds down range, and not a single KB-it is NOT SOP.

Glad you were not hurt.

Jaymo
December 1, 2012, 03:48 PM
As far as Ruger's P series autos go, they are good guns, but never appealed to me.
The SR9 changed my mind about Ruger centerfire semiautos. At least, after they fixed the trigger and mag release issues.
The Glock I like best, is the Gen2 G19. It fit's my hands better than the later Gens.
Finding one used, locally, is very difficult. Finding one used, locally, and for a good price is a pipe dream.

TAKtical
December 1, 2012, 03:57 PM
Seriously elkins? Take a good look at that brass. The back of that casing looks like it was chewed on by an angry beaver. The kaboom didnt do that. Maybe if the kaboom happened in a moving vehicle going 700mph and the casing flew out the window and bounced along a couple hundred miles of pavement. Coincidentally, I find that to be about as believable as the claim of that casing being once fired brass.

Elkins45
December 1, 2012, 04:47 PM
Seriously elkins? Take a good look at that brass. The back of that casing looks like it was chewed on by an angry beaver. The kaboom didnt do that. Maybe if the kaboom happened in a moving vehicle going 700mph and the casing flew out the window and bounced along a couple hundred miles of pavement. Coincidentally, I find that to be about as believable as the claim of that casing being once fired brass.
This isn't a church service: what you believe is irrelevant. I'm telling you what I know. Take a good look at the rim above where the sidewall failed and you can see clear evidence of gas erosion. More importantly, the failure point is so low on the casing that it's a part that never enters the sizing die. Here's another view.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/case2.jpg

It didn't look like that when it went into the gun. If I get the chance I'll grab some of the fired brass from the same box and take their picture for comparison.

I'm not blaming the gun. I'm not blaming anything or anybody, and that includes myself and the quality of my reloads. Sometimes stuff just happens. Shoot enough rounds over enough years and the odds increasingly favor that you'll get some combination of tolerance stack, spiderweb in a case, bad moon phase, something. I've been reloading centerfire rifle for 20+ years and I had one fail on me a couple of years ago. I sectioned the case and it was not a failure at the place where rifle brass stretches. Some may say this is proof I'm a bad reloader but in reality it's proof that the numbers just might eventually catch up to you if you burn enough powder. I will find that thread and post a link so you can see that photo as well. Found it: http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7652377&postcount=11

FYI, the service person from Glock who called me didn't even ask if I was shooting reloads and I sent the case to them with the gun.

Elkins45
December 1, 2012, 04:53 PM
Glock specifically states no handloading

Which major firearms manufacturers specifically allow it in their product manuals?

TAKtical
December 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
Im just saying. You, me, and everyone else reading this thread knows that is not once fired brass. But anyway, sorry for your luck. Glad they replaced the frame at a reasonable price, that surprised me.

cz75bcrazy
December 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
I've reloaded brass that looked way worse than that and never had any problems though none of my brass ever dare touch a glock. It's easy to tell from the photo that the glocks lack of a full supported chamber is the problem in this case.

firesky101
December 1, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have to say I am looking at that brass, and the damage I can see sure does not look like multiple extractor marks. I don't see why that could not be once fired. No personal experience with FC brass from a 10mm, but I have from heard more than just this thread that it is not the best for reloading.

HKGuns
December 2, 2012, 12:07 AM
Which major firearms manufacturers specifically allow it in their product manuals?

You know the answer to that question!:) It is just the gLocKer's who've only owned one pistol in their lives that don't know that! :)

Not using reloads because the lawyers made them write that in the manual is ignorant. That is all I am going to say on that subject.

How many times can you reload your brass when shooting it in a gLoCk? The answer to that is not to reload brass shot from a gLoCk. I won't even pickup brass fired from a gLoCk with that little bulge, oh and it is always there....

Onmilo
December 2, 2012, 05:58 AM
"The load in question was well below loadbook max,,,"
There ya go, reload in a Glock, blame the gun and not the loader.
I blew up a 10mm EAA Witless.
Hint, don't use AA#5 in 10mm!

1911Tuner
December 2, 2012, 08:43 AM
In late.

This looks more like an over-pressure issue than one of case head support.

Unsupported cases tend to bulge and blow in the area forward of the web...usually producing the telltale "Guppy Belly" bulge as a first warning...rather than in the web itself. This one is blown in the thick web area. That doesn't happen unless there's a serious pressure spike.

hentown
December 2, 2012, 09:06 AM
How many times can you reload your brass when shooting it in a gLoCk? The answer to that is not to reload brass shot from a gLoCk. I won't even pickup brass fired from a gLoCk with that little bulge, oh and it is always there....

Susan Rice didn't write that for you, by any chance? :eek: I load a lot of .45ACP, 9mm, and 10mm for my Glocks. Never have seen a bulge, in over 300,000 rounds loaded and fired. I routinely use reloads made from Glock-fired brass in my 70 Series GC. AAMOF, fired a bunch yesterday.

9mmforMe
December 2, 2012, 10:24 AM
If this blow out had happened in a steel framed gun would the gun be ok? Or is it too hard to tell?

HKGuns
December 2, 2012, 12:42 PM
I load a lot of .45ACP, 9mm, and 10mm for my Glocks. Never have seen a bulge, in over 300,000 rounds loaded and fired.

I should have stated that more clearly. I'm referring to 9mm / .40 pistols......only. (I don't shoot or reload .40 at all btw, for other reasons.) However it appears, on the surface, 10mm might just have the same issue. Hard to tell, but that blow out looks very similar to the famous gLoCk bulge spot......I'd have to look through some range brass for gLoCk shot examples to know for sure.

Again, glad no-one was injured, this CAN happen to any pistol under the right circumstances, it just seems it happens more often to gLoCk. It may not even be the fault of the pistol and more align with it appealing more to less experienced shooters who hear the name and think that is what they "have" to have. You see it all to often in the posts right here and on other forums.

Not saying anything about the OP when making that statement either, so don't misinterpret......

If this blow out had happened in a steel framed gun would the gun be ok? Or is it too hard to tell?

Hard to tell. Given the polymer pistol cracked and didn't explode in his hand, a well designed steel pistol might have just had the magazine blow out and some minor frame damage.

OilyPablo
December 2, 2012, 12:47 PM
What's with the silly caps and no caps when you write Glock? Not impressed.

I've never seen this mystical bulge on any of my pistols. Including Glocks. Neither have any of my shooting buddies. One guy shoots only Glocks. Many, many rounds. Please don't just make stuff up. This is THR.

45_auto
December 2, 2012, 01:22 PM
Only thing I've seen similar to that in over 50 years of shooting was an H&K 45ACP.

HKGuns
December 2, 2012, 01:24 PM
What's with the silly caps and no caps when you write Glock? Not impressed.

Not here to impress you bud, get over it. Guess you need more time picking up range brass and reloading, you'll see the smiley bulge on the brass.

powder
December 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
All I see is a lack of evidence, that points to the pistol being the problem.

What I know about shooting Glocks, re-loading, and scrounging brass at the range has been completely inaccurate and should go right out the window according to a lot of you, AND I should have had several KBs by now?

Pfft.

Glocks are basic machines, built by humans, both prone to failure. However, I clearly see a load/reload problem there in your pictures.

Let's see your claimed load data, details...

JROC
December 2, 2012, 01:55 PM
That sucks.

I shoot nothing, but very hot loads with my G20SF anymore, and never had a problem. Gun has some mods,(22lb recoil spring setup, 3.5 connector, extend slide release) but I use the factory barrel. Best pistol I own IMO.

Weevil
December 3, 2012, 12:47 AM
You would think the word would be out by now.

Whether it's the polygonal rifling, the loose chambers or chamber support or the combination of all of the above, Glocks with a stock barrel are not a good pistol to use reloads in.

How many years has this been discussed?

Why do people absolutely positively insist on using reloads in a stock Glock barrel then get on the net and cry about their lousy stinkin' Glock blowing up???

The warning in the Glock manual about using reloads is not just standard legal boilerplate like all gunmakers use to cover their hind ends!

It really is a bad idea to use reloads in a Glock!

If you have an uncontrollable desire to use reloads in a Glock then invest in an aftermarket barrel with land and groove rifling, tighter chambers and better chamber support, or at least don't act surprised and shocked when you get KBs with a stock barrel and reloads.

It is a bad idea, and I don't care how many of you do it and how many thousands of rounds of reloads you've shot through your stock barrel, it's only a matter of time before you're on here howling about your Glock KBing just like the OP.

Come on already people this is a proven and well known bad idea, why are you doing it???

sargents1
December 3, 2012, 12:12 PM
You would think the word would be out by now.

....It is a bad idea, and I don't care how many of you do it and how many thousands of rounds of reloads you've shot through your stock barrel, it's only a matter of time before you're on here howling about your Glock KBing just like the OP.

Come on already people this is a proven and well known bad idea, why are you doing it???

Well, I continue hand-loading for my G20 specifically so that You can continue being surprised and pounding your head against the wall :banghead: asking "why".

Just kidding.

I likes me some 10mm Goodness :evil: and the only way to get it cheap is thru reloading.

I run an aftermarket barrel (most of the time) and I keep my re-loads at 'target' velocities. If I want full power stuff, I use new brass or factory ammo.

CountryUgly
December 3, 2012, 02:06 PM
First off glad you are ok. Now buy a LW, KKM or SL barrel and back off the Blue Dot a bit :) Oh and buy some new brass! I reload 10 and 40 if I run brass through the sizer and there is "a little smile" at the bottom I toss it. Just because of the overpressure issues that have popped up with these calibers I never go more than 4 or 5 loads on each brass. If I'm loading Hot on the 10mm its only with new starline brass and I never load them more than twice hot after that they become practice rounds for a few rounds.

WardenWolf
December 3, 2012, 02:26 PM
Yet another Glock kabooms. When will people realize that their chamber design makes them inherently dangerous to reload for unless you replace the barrel? Yes, plenty of people do it, but all it takes is a previously fired case getting rotated in the same orientation it was previously fired in, and you have a very good chance of a kaboom. The Glock's chamber design results in additional stress and damage to the case in that area. It's just inherently unsafe.

HOOfan_1
December 3, 2012, 02:45 PM
Not here to impress you bud, get over it. Guess you need more time picking up range brass and reloading, you'll see the smiley bulge on the brass.

Seems to me like you need more time....I've shot some of my brass through my Glock 19 at least 6 times....no bulge

Whether it's the polygonal rifling, the loose chambers or chamber support or the combination of all of the above, Glocks with a stock barrel are not a good pistol to use reloads in.

It really is a bad idea to use reloads in a Glock!

Absolutely and utterly not true.

And yet...it happens in guns other than Glocks....what is your explanation for that?

You don't care how many thousands of reloads, thousands of people put through their Glocks every year?

Sounds to me like you are the one ignoring evidence...not the other way around.

Reloading for a Glock is just like reloading for any other gun. You need to pay attention to the condition of your brass, and you need to work up to your loads and not go beyond pressure signs. I wouldn't shoot full power reloads in any plinking gun...what is the point other than putting wear on your gun and brass and wasting powder?

Glocks in .40 and 10mm may be harder on brass...but that is why you inspect it before you reload it.

PabloJ
December 3, 2012, 04:29 PM
This is getting bit long in the tooth by now....... let us just remember when there is kBoom it's ALMOST always caused by a reloaded ammo.

Elkins45
December 3, 2012, 07:43 PM
let us just remember when there is kBoom it's ALMOST always caused by a reloaded ammo.

I fire at least 400 rounds of reloaded ammo for every one round of factory in the variety of centerfire guns (hand and long) that I own. It would certainly stand to reason it would kB with reloads because there's a 400 to 1 chance it will have a reload in the chamber.

For the cost difference between 1000 rounds of factory 10mm (at close to $1.00 per round) and 1000 reloads it wold be cheaper to replace the frame multiple times over buying factory ammo!

The responses to this thread have been quite entertaining. Just to be clear (again), I am not blaming the gun. I'm quite please that Glock replaced the frame at such a reasonable cost.

Weevil
December 3, 2012, 09:43 PM
Absolutely and utterly not true.

Then why is the OP posting about a Glock KB???

Why is it you can't got to a gun forum without hearing about some guy getting a Glock KB using reloads?

Why did Glock increase the chamber support on the .40 barrels???

And yet...it happens in guns other than Glocks....what is your explanation for that?

Did I say Glocks were the only gun that had KBs?

It can happen with any gun using reloads but if you haven't noticed there is a much higher incIdence of people reporting Glock KBs, websites and videos dedicated to Glock KBs, and documented evidence of LEAs having KBs.

What's more the OP is reporting about a KB with a GLOCK not some "other" gun!

What is your explanation for that???

You don't care how many thousands of reloads, thousands of people put through their Glocks every year?

Sounds to me like you are the one ignoring evidence...not the other way around.

How many reloads did the OP have through his Glock before it KBed?

What about all those other people reporting KBs with reloads through their Glocks???

Who's ignoring the evidence???

Reloading for a Glock is just like reloading for any other gun. You need to pay attention to the condition of your brass, and you need to work up to your loads and not go beyond pressure signs. I wouldn't shoot full power reloads in any plinking gun...what is the point other than putting wear on your gun and brass and wasting powder?

No it isn't.

Very few commonly used pistols have polygonal rifling or as loose of a chamber or as much exposed brass as a Glock chamber.

Can it be done?

Yes if extreme caution is used and you are very careful and keep in mind it's not "just like other guns", and that you have a much smaller margin of error.

But it is NOT "just like reloading for any other gun".

It requires much more frequent cleaning of the barrel especially if lead bullets are used. Brass will wear out much quicker due to the looser chamber, and weak brass is more likely to fail due to less chamber support.

Glocks in .40 and 10mm may be harder on brass...but that is why you inspect it before you reload it.

Wait a minute. didn't you just say, "Reloading for a Glock is just like reloading for any other gun."

Now you're saying Glocks are harder on the brass?

How can it be just like any other gun but yet be harder on the brass than other guns???

Doesn't it make more sense to use a gun that isn't as hard on the brass or an aftermarket barrel that isn't as hard on the brass to shoot reloads out of???

Why would you insist on using a gun that is known for being hard on brass and is well known for causing brass cases to blow out, to shoot reloads???

If you're gonna do it fine, but don't kid yourself that, "it's just like reloading for any other gun", cause it's not, and don't whine about it on the internet when you finally do get a case that blows out.

powder
December 3, 2012, 10:08 PM
Would a Mod. please have mercy on our souls and move this to re-loading section?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 20 SF kBoom an experience I hope never to repeat!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!