herters super model#3

PDA

odorf
November 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q759/41frodos/PB260072.jpg I am looking for somebody that has a herters super model # 3
i have one and the primer arm spring is missing. see pic. part # `15
if you have one, could you tell me the length of your spring?
and the size. then i can find a replacement
thank you for your help odorf

If you enjoyed reading about "herters super model#3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
340PD
November 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
It looks a lot like my old Pacific single stage. You might use a drill bit to determine the approximate diameter of the hole and hit a hardware store and get something that will fit. From there you can cut the length to make it work.
Regardless, I pulled all that section out of my Pacific (it just got in the way anyway) and went to a hand operated RCBS priming tool.

Kevin Rohrer
November 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
Most #3s you see don't have that primer arm attached. There's a reason.

JLDickmon
November 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
Similar set-up on the Lyman turret press..

I tore apart a bunch of dried-up "clicker" ball point pens and robbed the springs out of them.

d'Artagnan
November 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
I never installed either primer arm -- mine came with two, one for small, another for large -- on my Super Model 3, but kept them. The spring is 0.785 inches long uncompressed and 0.165 inches in diameter. IMHO the spring from a ballpoint pen should work nicely even tho they're slightly longer and slightly larger in diameter; cut off a few coils.

odorf
November 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
the pen spring is a good idea, i will give it a shot
thanks for the info.
:) :) :)

fguffey
November 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
Base casting #3 @ $6.75 and handles, Handles @1.95 each. I can use 2 each.

F. Guffey

fguffey
November 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
There is a reason, the shell holder is held in place with two set screws there is no pressure on the screws until the ram is lowered, using the handle to remove stuck cases can result in putting pressure in the screws, seating primers on the down stroke can do the same, The tendency of a reloader is to think if snug and secure is good really tight is better, when the two set screws are tighten the top of the ram starts to spread, when that happens the ram @$2.50 becomes a bargain.

Procedure for removing a stuck case, it is easier on the ram if the two screws are removed, the ram lowered (count on it) then remove the die with the stuck case out the top, then proceed with removing the stuck case in the usual way.

F. Guffey

If you enjoyed reading about "herters super model#3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!