1860 sale at Cabelas

PDA

ozarkguy
November 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Just noticed this morning that Cabelas has their 1860 Army on sale for $179.99 and they also have a $20 off rebate. If you want an 1860 (or a second or third one!) now is the time to buy.

If you enjoyed reading about "1860 sale at Cabelas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim, West PA
November 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
Mmmmm......

Saddlebag Preacher
November 29, 2012, 01:58 PM
Man.... I just bought one last week for 199.00 on sale from them..Supposed to be delivered today UPS:banghead:

I recieved my sale brochure in the mail yesterday with a code for the free shipping too, I paid shipping...:banghead:

BUT, I don't care I hope to be shooting it this afternoon :D

I just can't let my wife see these threads....;)

unknwn
November 29, 2012, 03:33 PM
They are pretty particular about stacking promotions , i.e. If you have access to the CLUBVISA free shipping promo they won't allow use of the current $20.00 rebate codes.

1KPerDay
November 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
Dang... tempting....

KSUJedi
November 29, 2012, 10:52 PM
Dernit, I'm $160 poorer but 1 1860 richer this evening thanks to you guys! Just bought a twin brother to my 1851 "Navy" Marshall about a month ago on the sale to have a matching set for CAS, and that was supposed to be my only Christmas gift from me to me for the season, but couldn't pass that up, what with the sale and Cabela's $20 off coupon. Enablers.....

My growing BP collection....
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6065/img20121129220006.jpg

YumaKid
November 29, 2012, 11:38 PM
Shuddup,shuddup,shuddup,
SHUUUUUUUTTTT UPPPPPPPPP!!!!! :banghead:

You guys are gonna get me in SO much trouble! Still gotta get Christmas presents for the kids in CoSprings and something for Momma - and here you are trying to make me use my plastic on another toy for me! :cuss:

YumaKid
November 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
...As soon as Cabela's puts the 5-1/2" barrelled Remington 1858 on sale for a comparable price; you can start a new thread, PM me, Facebook me, talk Hank Williams Jr into writing a short song about it, hire a crop-duster driver to sky-write it in the air over Yuma, AZ.... I DON'T CARE!!!
I'll get the message and order up one for the li'l missus's Christmas present.

Hey, she DID say, "I need to learn how to load and shoot your black powder guns..." so the best thing I could do is get her one of her own, right? It only weighs a pound or so more than her S&W Mdl 13, and has right about the same recoil and muzzle flip, when shooting .38Spcl's; so that's not so bad, right? :D

towboat_er
November 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
Do ya mean this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Pietta-Revolvers|/pc/105625080/c/112132080/Pietta-Model-1858-New-Army-44-Caliber-Revolver/706233.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D112132080%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104792580%253Bcat104701680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat112132080

hAkron
November 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
Why do people have to post this stuff? You think I'm made of money? What am I supposed to do when my Amex bill shows up now?

Just kidding. I've been waiting for these to go on sale. Thanks for the heads up good sir!

Berkley
November 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/14ns7r.jpg
BTW, the fluted cylinder army is also on sale for $50 off list, and then there's that $20 off to subtract too.
Oh, and if you happen to have a Cabela's nearby, you can get free shipping with in-store pickup.
Just sayin'....:evil:

YumaKid
November 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
Do ya mean this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/...3Bcat112132080

Uhhhh, yeah, that would be the one.
I guess I could 'write off' the price difference with th $20 coupon; but what's with the "Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery?" You think I should be, on Christmas morning, telling SWMBO "Sorry, Baby; but UPS tracking sez 'Your present is sitting in a Big Brown Truck, in the Big Brown Truck yard in Broken Spring Nebraska' and will be delivered on the Grandson's birthday (two days after New Year's).
YeeeahhhNO!... not taking any chances on that one :rolleyes:

Well, I guess I could drive up to Phoenix and harrass 'em at Cabelas about the internet price of what I'm thinkin' she'd like.
Shoot, my half-ton 4x4 Ford gets the best gas mileage of our little two-truck-and-one -41-year-old-Mercury daily driver fleet; so I'd pay a little less than twice the cost of the smoke wagon, all told.

Unless they jacked up the price on Unleaded Fuel....

tom e gun
November 30, 2012, 05:38 AM
I just looked at cabelas before checking on here and seeing this thread and I excitedly jumped on THR to attempt to tell folks about the 1860 but looks like yall already know :D
I may just have to get me another!

Jaxondog
November 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/14ns7r.jpg
BTW, the fluted cylinder army is also on sale for $50 off list, and then there's that $20 off to subtract too.
Oh, and if you happen to have a Cabela's nearby, you can get free shipping with in-store pickup.
Just sayin'....:evil:
Nice

Saddlebag Preacher
November 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Pay no attention to the long delivery times shown.

I ordered mine last Friday NIGHT (around 10:00 PM EST) and it arrived Wednesday evening. BUT, I was at church and they require an adult signature, so they came back yesterday (Thursday). I'll shoot it today.

Once again, I'd try to watch their free tracking online once it's sent out and see what day UPS says they'll deliver so an adult will be home.

ozarkguy
November 30, 2012, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1858 Remy and the 1851 Navy on sale for $179.99 sometime before Christmas as well, with either free shipping, $5.00 shipping or another $20 off rebate. They've done this the last few years. It's why I'm frequently broke about this time of the season!

Hellgate
November 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
Yuma Kid has me LMAO!
Guess what, Yuma, it only gets worse. Last night I counted my "stash": 15 Cap & Ball revolvers. BUT(!) I also recollected how many I've actually owned over the years and it was 37! Now I'm gonna shuddup.

Tommygunn
November 30, 2012, 12:14 PM
Just sayin'....

Nice gun! How long has Pietta made this fluted version of the 1860 Army?

ReloaderEd
November 30, 2012, 12:24 PM
wow good prices darn it, I got my two ROA revolvers and guess I stick with them.

Fiv3r
November 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Eh, very tempting, but I'm expecting gift cards from Santa. I figure I'll be money ahead if I wait. I have about $50 in Cabela Points and $50ish in gift cards now. I'm hoping to score around $150 in gift cards from my various family members as that is ALL I have asked for. Hopefully, I'll still be able to jump on that free shipping by the 31st deal. I think I will have bounty in hand by then;)

1KPerDay
November 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
I don't see that one listed... got a link?

Berkley
November 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
1860 army fluted cylinder: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Pistols-Revolvers%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104503680/Pietta-1860-Army-44-Caliber-Revolver-with-Fluted-Cylinder/1324925.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-pistols-revolvers%2F_%2FN-1100201%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104503680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104792580%253Bcat104701680&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat104503680
That has been on Cabela's site for almost a year, but this is the first price reduction I've seen - and believe me, I've been watching!;)

jason41987
November 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
i just noticed this sale when i was on there.. spent a few hours deciding if i should pass up this sale and get the 1860 london model (it has a blued steel navy grip frame) or buy the standard one for $180... i bought the london model though

1KPerDay
November 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks! Hmmm... is the fluted cylinder worth $40 more?

Berkley
November 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
VTI lists the fluted cylinder by itself for $95, but they haven't had any in stock the three times I've checked during the past year. So it was worth it to me.

1KPerDay
November 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
Cool thanks!

Busyhands94
November 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Those Colt armies do look pretty tasty, but I have my heart set on a Remington with a 5.5" barrel. I have a practical use for this gun that no other gun I have will fill. My K frame is the same size, but it's only a .38, I want a .44 I can carry in my jacket or tucked in one of my cowboy boots when I'm out bumming around the woods. Basically all I want is a shorter version of my favorite handgun.
I kinda wish I could find a nice wadcutter mold, that would make it a pretty formidable weapon for stuff that goes bump in the night.

But I gotta not get temped by threads like this. I have been tempted to get a Colt, and I will eventually. I just gotta get a 5.5 Remmy first! :D

jason41987
November 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
i was going to get an 1858 remington as well but they were out of stock for the next month... so i got an 1860 army now, and ill buy a 5 1/2 inch remington later

YumaKid
December 1, 2012, 01:21 AM
Levi, you'll absolutely love the Shorty Remington; I know I do. You'll probably want "a bit more holster" than what fits a K-Frame well, though. I have an old Safariland 'Duty Holster' that was molded for a 6" barrelled Model 27 or 28 (the N-Frame .357's); used it for years to haul around my 4" 629. Not anymore.... the smokeless .44 usually stays in a "taco" gun case and the cop holster is wrapped around the 5.5" Remington.

Of course, it's not all that concealable....

Busyhands94
December 1, 2012, 02:06 AM
You are right, I probably will fall in love the second I open that box. But then again what gun have I gotten that I didn't love? :D How is the accuracy from the shorter barrel?
As for a holster, I have this nice big chunk of cowhide from an old pair of chaps. I'm thinking a nice wet-molded shoulder holster like Dirty Harry has would do nicely as a woods carry piece. http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/puffy.gif

YumaKid
December 2, 2012, 10:30 AM
Accuracy is "not bad" right now. Mine apparently does not like the same charge (30 grns of Pyro - LOOSE, not the pellets!) as my full-length NMA that's proof-marked two years older.
I'm still working on what makes the li'l guy reasonably accurate. Right now I'm at 28 grains with both .451 and .454 inch balls and working my way down 'til I find its sweet spot. Gonna go out to the range in about 15 minutes or so; see if I and my son can "squeeze in" with all the winter visitors.

jason41987
December 2, 2012, 07:21 PM
ive always wondered if you could use a drop of melted parafin wax, or a combustable glue to hold a 30 grain pyrodex pellet to the bottom of a conical bullet for your own "cartridge"... maybe a was in between the two so you just drop it in the chamber and ram it to load

arcticap
December 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
Here's photos of 2 steel frame Pietta 1860's that were purchased on sale yesterday at my local Cabela's.
Both of them have the 2012 "CI" proof date code.

mykeal
December 2, 2012, 11:22 PM
ive always wondered if you could use a drop of melted parafin wax, or a combustable glue to hold a 30 grain pyrodex pellet to the bottom of a conical bullet for your own "cartridge"... maybe a was in between the two so you just drop it in the chamber and ram it to load
Won't work.

Bp burns slowly enough that part of the pellet will exit the barrel with the bullet before it's completely burned. Might make an interesting tracer round, though.

jason41987
December 2, 2012, 11:34 PM
Won't work.

Bp burns slowly enough that part of the pellet will exit the barrel with the bullet before it's completely burned. Might make an interesting tracer round, though.
you dont think the act in crushing the bullet into the chamber, as well as the concussive force of ignition wouldnt break that seal between the two? parafin is easy to break

Berkley
December 2, 2012, 11:36 PM
Here's photos of 2 steel frame Pietta 1860's that were purchased on sale yesterday at my local Cabela's.

Likewise the fluted cylinder model I just got on sale.

Busyhands94
December 3, 2012, 12:08 AM
I wonder if you could bore out the inside of a conical bullet, melt a ping pong ball with some camphor, and stick that goop in there then dust it with BP to help it ignite. With a light powder charge you could have sort of a flare!

Hellgate
December 3, 2012, 01:33 AM
Busyhands, you are well named. As they say, idle hands are the devil's tools. Always lookin' for something fun to mess with aren't cha? You are way ahead of where I was at your age in finding mischief but it sure was fun. :>) I've seen some of your videos. OK, back to ping pong balls (celluloid). I would expect that acetone might dissolve it. If not, I used to dissolve smokeless powder with acetone to make stuff flame out after it dried.

freedom475
December 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
I used a 1/8" thick lube cookie made from (well I can't remember, but it was sticky/gooy stuff) over the powder and this cookie would stick to the back of the bullet when it left the barrel. All the powder sticking to the lube cookie would cause a pretty good tracer.

1KPerDay
December 3, 2012, 12:49 PM
Beauties! That tiger-stripey stock is great!

arcticap
December 3, 2012, 02:06 PM
Beauties! That tiger-stripey stock is great!

These photos show the other sides of the 2 guns that I posted about above.
Surprisingly both sides of that grip have a similar fiddle back look.

1KPerDay
December 3, 2012, 03:47 PM
Dang, that's purdy. Hope my new one is half as nice. :)

Busyhands94
December 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
Busyhands, you are well named. As they say, idle hands are the devil's tools. Always lookin' for something fun to mess with aren't cha? You are way ahead of where I was at your age in finding mischief but it sure was fun. :>) I've seen some of your videos. OK, back to ping pong balls (celluloid). I would expect that acetone might dissolve it. If not, I used to dissolve smokeless powder with acetone to make stuff flame out after it dried.
Hellgate, can't help tinkering with stuff! My father actually came up with that nickname, because when I was born I had workin' man's hands. :D Smokeless powder might work pretty well for these tracers, just unsure of how fast the pressure would build in the barrel.

I do have 2 live 223 rounds sitting on my shelf, I bet you could just pull the bullet and put the powder in a shot glass with some Outer's solvent (that stuff has camphor in it) to make celluloid or maybe some acetone if we got any and put that in a hollow based bullet before the solvent evaporates.

It would probably be best to try this in a dedicated smokeless gun first, perhaps in my M&P with some HBWC bullets and some FFFG BP as the propellant. Or perhaps in some .32 short loads. Those would be so slow that seeing the 600 FPS bullet wouldn't be too hard!

dickydalton
December 3, 2012, 07:04 PM
The 5 1/2" Pietta '58 Remington I have it the most accurate BP revolver I have except for one of my ROAs. It hits point of aim at 30 yards and it's really good at 75 yards.

Busyhands94
December 3, 2012, 08:27 PM
I figure that 5.5 pietta could be used in a similar manner to a K-frame. Something you can carry concealed but hit something at a reasonable distance with. Kinda medium sized and not too heavy.

Hmm... I do have an idea for how you could do interchangeable barrels with a Remington though. Maybe if you drilled a hole through the frame and part of the threads for the barrel the tapped it you could put a screw in there. Of course you might have to make a barrel wrench, but that shouldn't be too hard. Of course maybe a regular wrench would work provided it fit and you could pad it. Pietta Remington barrels are easy to take off. Fitting it to the gun isn't too hard, I have done it before.
That might be a good option as well, like having two revolvers in one. :D

Just thinking out loud here, of course with an 1860 Colt conversions to different calibers and cartridges would be probably be easier.

KSUJedi
December 4, 2012, 01:25 AM
So, I'm used to the pinky finger under the grip type hold on my shorter gripped 1851's and SAA's, but the longer grip is new to me. Do ya'll keep the same grip with an 1860 or move that pinky up to join its friends on the front of the grip? Don't really have small hands, and could probably be fine keeping the same grip, just wondering whether to make use of that extra real estate up there....

1KPerDay
December 4, 2012, 01:32 AM
I put my pinky next to his brothers. I actually prefer the Army grip frame over the Navy.

jason41987
December 4, 2012, 01:51 AM
ksujedi, if you get the 1860 london model itll have navy grips

tom e gun
December 4, 2012, 06:03 AM
I went ahead and ordered another 1860 Army after finding them on sale over the weekend and then finding the thread here. I have the sherrif's model at the moment that I have done too much fiddlin' with bubba style, so I wanted something I would keep nice, plus I wanted the full length barrel :)

If you enjoyed reading about "1860 sale at Cabelas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!