Savage .30-06 for back up.

PDA

Magwa45
November 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
Talk me into buying my new 30-06! I have an old Savage 99 in .300 Savage. There are two Garands sitting in the safe, so I have plenty of ammo and reloading gear on hand. My idea is to get a Savage weather warrior in 30-06. Those are great shooters and I would have no qualms about taking it out in the bad weather. Who knows, I might go out for an elk or moose hunt someday. I was thinking about getting a Savage in .250 Savage, just to satisfy my lust for odd ball cartridges, plus you don't need a Springfield for the usual deer hunt. But getting back to the 30-06, I would not need to get more reloading components, tools, brass, bullets, etc. And I have a Savage slug gun, so I know those ugly old barrels nuts have an appeal. Any other Savage freaks out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage .30-06 for back up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fal 4 me
November 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
I have a Savage 116 Weather Warrior on 30-06 and it has proven to be accurate and reliable. It's a good knock around the woods rifle. You'll be happy with it as a back up. Next season mine will be moved to back up status as I plan to buy an upper in 6.8 SPC for my AR.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

RPRNY
November 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
Good plan. Good rifle. Go for it. Just be careful not to neglect the others when the Savage comes on board...

Kachok
November 29, 2012, 04:28 PM
Love my 110 30-06, fantastic rifle for the price, would buy again in a heartbeat. Replaced the package scope/rings with a VXII and Reaper mount :D

matt 7mm
November 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
I bought the first model 116 i ever saw about 16 or 17 years ago.It is a lefthanded 300 win mag.been a fantistic rifle.alot of times i wish it was a little more mild than a 300 i have been thinking about rebarreling it to a 30-06 or 280 or something that has a little less recoil.I dont thimk you could go wrong with an 06

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage .30-06 for back up." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!