Revoler - FLS?

PDA

utbrowningman
November 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
Do I need to full length size my revolver rounds since the cylinder chambers could be slightly different sizes? Read something about this in my Lee book last night.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revoler - FLS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
You need to resize all fired cartridges of any type, if for no other reason then to get enough case neck tension to keep the bullets from falling down the holes when you go to seat them.

And yes, high pressure revolver calibers need to be resized so they will fit in all the chambers.

rc

mdi
November 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
No, not because chamber dimensions may be different, but because the cases need to be resized for correct neck tension, and returned to SAAMI specs (also any out of round cases from handling need to be ironed out). I experimented with "neck sizing" only for my .44 Magnum, sizing only about 3/8" of the top of the case, but I could not/did not notice any benefits.

utbrowningman
November 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
I know neck sizing is always required but full-length sizing everytime?
Does fls shorten the lifespan of the case?

rcmodel
November 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
No.
Well, I suppose it does.
But thats the price you pay if you want properly assembled ammo.

Revolver cases generally give out when the necks split from repeated crimping.

rc

gamestalker
November 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Absoluetly. Once again RC nailed!

GS

Searcher4851
November 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Once again, I agree with RC. The crimping will have much more effect on case life than the full length resizing. Full length resizing is the standard practice because it works.

BYJO4
November 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
I also agree with RC.

JLDickmon
November 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
No.
Well, I suppose it does.
But thats the price you pay if you want properly assembled ammo.

Revolver cases generally give out when the necks split from repeated crimping.

rc

or overzealous belling

mdi
December 1, 2012, 01:38 PM
I reload a lot of .44 Magnum ammo (for 5 guns) and I usualy lose count before a case splits. So, I just inspect them closely before they are reloaded. I have some nickel Remington .44 Magnum cases, purchased in '88, that may have been reloaded over 15 times and still going strong, so I quit counting...

But to answer your question, yes full length size revolver brass each time, and no, case life isn't shortened apprecialby. Neck sizing is for bottle necked cases to be shot in the same gun previously used.

Lost Sheep
December 1, 2012, 06:48 PM
Do I need to full length size my revolver rounds since the cylinder chambers could be slightly different sizes? Read something about this in my Lee book last night.

Note that the Lee Loader kit does not full-length resize cases.

Was the manual referring to straight-walled cases or to bottlenecked cases? As I understand it, full-length (FL) resizing or neck-sizing can make a significant difference to bottlenecked cartridges, but makes little difference to the life of straight-walled cases.

If a fired case from one chamber of your revolver will not fit (perhaps with a little pushing) cannot be made to chamber in the other chambers, I would start thinking "bulged chamber".

Now every chamber in a revolver will not be the same size, so you will be able to identify one chamber that is larger than the others and one chamber that is smaller than the others, but if the difference is substantial I would worry a bit.

Lost Sheep

mdi
December 2, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sheep, Lee Loaders full length size hand gun cases (not sure about 9mm, but all my others do).

If you enjoyed reading about "Revoler - FLS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!