SS choked barrel for Mossberg 500

PDA

danweasel
November 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hello,

So a while ago I bought a Mossberg Mariner (the stainless one) to keep around for bear and home defense. Now I want to shoot a turkey with it. Does anyone know where I can find a SS barrel threaded for a choke? I have looked and looked but they all seem to be blued. Although function comes before fashion, I would like to have both.

Thanks,

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "SS choked barrel for Mossberg 500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uniquedot
November 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
Unless you plan on shooting a turkey at a tame chicken shoot i would wrap the gun with camo tape. You'll have a hard time convincing a gobbler to get in range of the shiny nickel coating on the mariner. Just get a blued 20" barrel and a roll of camo tape.

rcmodel
November 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
It isn't stainless steel anyway.

It is electroless nickel on top of carbon steel with an anodized aluminum receiver.

You could have any blued barrel plated with the same stuff.

But Uniquedot is quite correct.

A turkey would spot your mariner before you got it out of the truck to go hunting with it.

You can have your barrel threaded for choke tubes for $125.
http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-installation.php

rc

danweasel
November 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I knew it wasn't stainless. It's just more simpler to describe it that way.

Would an 18" barrel be any good with a choke? I know just short of nothing about shotguns.

Oh, and you know... The last turkey we shot went like this: Drive around some mountain roads until you see 'em, hop out and run one down in the woods, bang!

Thanks guys,

Dan

rcmodel
November 29, 2012, 05:47 PM
They must have slower turkeys there then they do here.

Ours can run 20 miles an hour and slip away before you can take two steps after they see you move.
And if they can't out-run you, they can sure out-fly you.

Here it a cammo suit, and a call to get them to come into gun range.
Ain't no possible way you can run them down and get close enough to ever get a shot off.

As for your barrel length question?
An 18" would work as well as a dedicated 21" turkey gun like everyone makes if it is choked properly.

rc

danweasel
November 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
You know what? I was absolutely amazed at how easy it was. But then again we got 9lbs of just breast plus some hefty drumsticks off it so he was a big boy. Never even tried to fly.

Anyways, thanks, I am going to go that route and get it threaded. And then, yes, wrap the whole thing camo and try it the "real" way.

I really appreciate the help,

Dan

Uniquedot
November 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
I recently purchased a 500 and have already purchased one accessory barrel for it and I've been looking at the 20" VR barrel that's threaded for choke tubes for a third barrel. I really don't think the 500 security barrels are thick enough to be threaded for chokes...not even the small diameter tubes.

Onmilo
December 1, 2012, 12:26 AM
I have a 20" accu-tube barrel for my hunting 500.
Amazingly handy and smooth swinging set up it is! :)

Virginian
December 1, 2012, 06:15 AM
I used to have two local flocks of wild turkeys near my house in Virginia. One late Fall Saturday afternoon there was a flock on each side of the yard, about 35 in all. And two deer. I was watching them out the windows while watching football. When I went outside to get something, everything stopped what they were doing and watched closely, and when I went back inside, they all went back to what they were doing. All were within 45 yards tops. Animals do get used to people. When I used to ride my motorcycle on the Forest Service roads, I would come blasting around a corner and they would scatter a little, but when you looked back some of them would still be standing in the road watching. I've had them watch me fishing in a boat from 20 yards lots of times. Not all turkeys are created equal apparently.

Uniquedot
December 1, 2012, 06:22 PM
Animals do get used to people.

Yes they do, but the funny thing is when you spend time and money planning for a specific hunt those curious critters seldom seem to show up. :D

jmr40
December 2, 2012, 09:15 AM
You're not going to find a factory barrel threaded for tubes that will match your receiver. You could have your current barrel threaded. Personally I'd just buy a blue barrel about 24" long that was threaded. I'd then cover the shiny receiver and probably the barrel with camo tape.

To be honest, Mossbergs ain't that expensive. For only a little more money, and a lot less trouble, you could just buy a 2nd gun designed for turkey hunting.

Whacked
December 2, 2012, 10:18 PM
http://www.mossberg.com/barrels.asp
Pick your barrel

If you enjoyed reading about "SS choked barrel for Mossberg 500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!