Insane shipping prices

PDA

CApighunter
November 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
I was going to purchase some stuff from Midway when I went to check out, the shipping for my order (boresnake and some targets, under $25) was $9and some change plus a $3 dollar handling fee. That is $12 dollars for what could fit in a small flat rate box. I went to Midsouth Shooters Supply and it was $11 to ship the exact same things. Is this increase new? I have ordered from Midway many times in the past and don't remember the shipping being this extreme, maybe like 5-6 bucks. Any body know of an online retailer that has reasonable shipping fees? Thinking of taking my business to amazon...
CApighunter

If you enjoyed reading about "Insane shipping prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
musicman10_1
November 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Graf and Sons is decent.

mdemetz
November 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
The $3 fee is for orders under $25
Did you check your shipping options?
USPS 1st Class Mail and UPS Mail Innovations are cheapest but may not be availble for some items. The targets may be the problem because of their size.

OARNGESI
November 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
I had te same thought need a 1.99 spring shipping was 10.99

morcey2
I've been ordering lots of stuff from grafs instead of midway because the cost including shipping is much better, even with the dealer discount through midway.

Matt

oneounceload
Do you think their shipping boxes and personnel are free? It costs to ship - that's reality. When someone says "free shipping" all it means it is buried somewhere else in the price. Walmart carries boresnakes and targets at less than Midway, even with tax

OilyPablo
November 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
I rarely shop Midway any more. Their prices aren't that low and their shipping is crazy high. I'm not hurting for any supplies - I can always find the same stuff at lower prices with lower shipping.

EBK
November 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
The shipping was cheaper through midway. The special handling fee of 3$ was for your order of less than 20$ so the shipping was only 9 bucks.

This is not new and it has been this way since I have ordered from them back in 2006

OcelotZ3
November 30, 2012, 01:34 AM
I've got a C&R discount through Midway, and still the prices are higher than most places... Note sure how they make money.

DurangoKid
November 30, 2012, 01:50 AM
I just ordered a Simmons 6.5 X 20 50MM on special for $107.00. They gave me a 15% Birthday discount. The scope and High Weaver rings all Freight paid shipped total cost. $107.00. These scopes were $247.00. I just needed a cheapo varmint scope for a old H&R Topper truck gun. Midway USA is OK.:)

oldandslow
November 30, 2012, 03:51 AM
CAp, 11/30/12

I used to be a loyal Midway customer until they started charging exhorbitant shipping rates. I ordered a 12 gauge Remington 870 rifled barrel for about $200. Weight was about four pounds. Shipping charge, regular USPS was $33 or about $8/pound.

I called recently about two soft sided rifle cases, total weight about three pounds. Their shipping quote USPS was $55. I asked the Midway rep to recheck the shipping charge and she confirmed the $55 charge. I canceled my order and ordered from either Natchez's or Midsouthshooter's and the shipping was about $10. Needless to say I don't even consider Midway anymore when I'm looking for shooting supplies.

best wishes- oldandslow

OldMac
November 30, 2012, 04:34 AM
I was surprised recently by Academy's $1 shipping for a $16 rifle case. They had the same price in store but i really couldn't put on pants and get out of the driveway for $1. It showed up in a few days in 5' long box.

Pilot
November 30, 2012, 04:34 AM
Shipping, and handling fees are profit centers for many of these companies.

jim243
November 30, 2012, 05:19 AM
I rarely shop Midway any more.

I love it when they give you $1.80 off on an item and then charge you $3.00 because it is the only thing you need. And then they charge you $9 to $12 to ship it.

That's how Larry Potterfield can get all his toys and be a big shot to the NRA. It's with your money.

Any time I can I will buy from Cheaper than Dirt or CDNN they have specials every now and then for $4.99 shipping on your whole order.

Jim

Centurian22
November 30, 2012, 05:46 AM
Well I'll gladly play devils advocate here. I just ordered almost $600 worth of reloading equipment, some 12ga shells, books, and bullets and my shipping was under $12 for over 42lbs worth of stuff. Plus I got $35 off for the AR15 promo code. Maybe I just got lucky (sounds like it from most of these posts). Cheaper Than Dirt is one place you have to watch on the shipping because of there 'multiple warehouses' concept.

It shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone that many if not most online retailers are going to charge alot for shipping a small item. This is nothing new! They try to get you to buy more. I agree its not 'nice' or 'right' but its reality.

I appreciate the postings of places that have better prices and reasonable shipping, I'll look into them in the future especially for small orders but I won't be so quick to turn my back on midway.

primalmu
November 30, 2012, 07:44 AM
It is what it is. Midway is cheaper on some things than others. I shop around. Brownells is a good choice. Heck, for a boresnake and some targets Amazon would probably work out well, too.

Krogen
November 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
I use nearly all of the online sellers. It's quite simple to open up multiple tabs in your web browser and fill a cart with your items at each of them. Then add shipping costs and look at the bottom line. Some places with cheaper shipping have reduced prices on the items themselves, so it can be cheaper overall to just pay the shipping. Just don't click "submit" for each of the carts! :what:

Other times adding one small item into your cart puts you into the next box size and you incur a big jump in shipping costs. Try playing around with quantities - do you really need 7 boxes of ammo? Try changing to 6 and see if your shipping drops significantly.

Watch what you put in your order. Chemicals or ammo force you into a different shipping category. For example, buy 2000 cast bullets and they can be shipped in a USPS flat-rate box. That's a great deal! Then add a single box of 22 LR ammo and your whole order may get shipped UPS or FEDEX ground and you pay major $$. Same thing with chemicals. Add a 4 oz bottle of solvent and your flat-rate box morphs into a UPS shipment.

oneounceload
November 30, 2012, 10:57 AM
Cheaper Than Dirt is one place you have to watch on the shipping because of there 'multiple warehouses' concept.

Exactly - Cheaper than Dirt - ISN'T!

Midway also has powder dropped shipped from Powder Valley; so if you order primers and powders in one order, you will get hit with two hazmat fees and shipping costs

jdietz
November 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
I no longer order from Midway. I ordered an item from their closeout flyer. The shipping was more than the item I ordered.

Natchez. Widner's, and Sportsman's Guide are about the only place I order from now.

Centurian22
November 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Oneounce: now I didn't go saying that. Often CTD has very good prices on things you just have to be aware of what warehouse(s) your items are coming from. I actually really like CTD and midway both. As Krogen said: shop around, it takes very little time / effort to compare a few sites. If that is too much 'work' for you then pay for the convenience of ordering from just your one chosen place and don't complain about it later.

22-rimfire
November 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
Shipping costs have continued to go up. FedEx raised their rates this year at least once and maybe twice. I feel sure UPS did the same thing as they do shop each other. Rates will be going up again in January. The USPS is raising their rates. Others will follow regardless of the price of fuel.

What is the result? With FedEx, I stopped almost entirely shipping next day morning. Some stuff is shipped next day afternoon, but the majority is two-day or ground now when in the past it was almost exclusively next day morning or afternoon.

I watch for the free shipping announcements at some of the regular "online" retailers. I prefer it to a 10% off sale and so forth.

In business, you try to make money at every charge item if you can. You have inventory that you paid for and often is financed, handling costs (materials and labor), and actual shipping costs. It costs to simply handle the money. This is one of the reasons that I find Amazon so cost effective. They discount the item and if you are willing to accept ground shipping, it's "free" for orders over $25.

I try to buy locally, and yes, pay sales tax. I buy online for convenience or because I have trouble finding the item locally. I buy match grade ammunition from time to time and calibers which local retailers do not typically carry, I buy online and make a judgement call as to the reasonableness of the shipping cost. Yes, shipping on one box of ammo might be more than the cost of the ammunition, so you buy in larger quantities and again make your own judgements on cost.

holdencm9
November 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
I like to support the smaller businesses and gun shops as much as possible, but now that I have Amazon prime, with free 2-day shipping, pretty much anything that can be ordered via Amazon, IS ordered through amazon. And they have a surprising amount of firearms-related stuff. It also helps that if I order to my office it doesn't say MIDWAY USA all over the box, or any gun-related stuff on the shipping label. A few coworkers know about my hobby but I don't want to broadcast it any more than necessary.

For instance, recently I just wanted to get some brass trimming stuff, just like $20 worth, Amazon was a couple bucks more, but free shipping more than balanced it out, and although Midway is usually very fast, I won't get it in 2 days.

mberoose
November 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
Ebay ladies & gentlemen, Ebay.

November 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
I ordered an aimpoint from midway a few days ago. Midway was tied for the lowest price with a few other retailers, us they had a 30 dollar coupon code on orders larger than $300. So with the coupon was the lowest price. Plus they had free shipping so I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Captaingyro
November 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
One of the secrets of efficient shopping at MidwayUSA is their online wishlists. When I think of something I want, I go to the website and add it to my wishlist. After years of doing this, my wishlist is quite extensive.

The wishlist can be used in many different ways to cut down on shipping costs. First, if my order doesn't meet the minimum to avoid a special handling fee ($25 for regular accounts, $40 for dealer accounts), I just add something small from the wishlist, such as a bore brush, spring, or die lock rings.

Alternatively, I periodically go down the wishlist and look for anything that's on sale. If I find a few things I'll make an order, just to lock in the best prices. Again, pay attention to the minimum dollar amount.

Finally, the wishlist is a great way to keep track of part numbers and model numbers. "What's the part number for the Wolff 15-pound recoil spring for a 92fs?" It's catalogued in my wishlist. In this way the wishlist becomes your own little online database of parts and accessories.

fastest45ever
November 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
ebay? between paypal and their fees you are often in 20% over the price.
Again, you have to watch shipping.

CraigC
November 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
I've been buying from Midway for 20yrs. I've heard some complaints about their pricing and shipping but have never found a reason to go elsewhere. My last order for a bunch of magazines and some other stuff totaled $140 and shipping was less than $9. Before that it was $196/$10. Before that it was $111/$9. Before that it was $99/$9. You get the picture. It should be rather obvious that small orders are going to take a bigger hit on shipping. If your order is under Midway's minimum, it's usually better to order from Brownells. I think people just like to have something to complain about.

Exactly - Cheaper than Dirt - ISN'T!
I order .22LR ammo from them by the case. Even with shipping, it costs me $2 less per 550rd bulk pack than Walmart.

ebay? between paypal and their fees you are often in 20% over the price. Again, you have to watch shipping.
20%??? If you're buying from Ebay, you're not paying PayPal fees. Only shipping. :confused:

22-rimfire
November 30, 2012, 01:50 PM
I also order from Cheaper Than Dirt. I pay attention which "warehouse" the order is being filled and try to have the entire order come from the same site. I understand that it would cost them a lot to ship separate pieces of orders rather than the entire order and charge for shipping based on one source location.

Sniper66
November 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
I bought a magazine from CC for my Anschutz 1517 and it cost $9 to ship. The price was around $70. The item is the size of a thick match book. When I complained they said the cost had to do with UPS, not with the cost of the item. Due to past problems, they said they refuse to use USPS which would have been about $3. It was packed in a 3" x 12" x 14" box. Seems to me they could have slipped into a small padded USPS envelope for $3. Oh well, I'm gald to have it and will order from CC again since they have Anscutz items that no one else has..

22-rimfire
November 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
I like Champion's Choice as well. But I usually just drop by when I am around Nashville on business.

Sometimes shipping will surprise you from them. I believe that their website/database is not sophisicated enough to reliably calculate shipping. Hence, you get this add on that you really have no idea what is going to be to your order cost.

mgmorden
November 30, 2012, 02:44 PM
I've noticed a lot of sellers gouging on shipping lately. If they publish it up front its one thing, but tacking them on later really gets under my skin.

Two months ago I ordered 4 used pistol magazines from Southern Ohio Gun. Shipping was to be calculated and added to the order later. I should have known better, but I generally assume that most companies will treat the customer fairly on matters like that.

For 4 mags the added shipping cost was $17. Not to mention that the shopping cart total that had previously added up to $39.80 was for some reason $41 instead. So really it was over $18 added to my original order.

I let it go as $10 isn't going to kill me (I would have expected about $8 as fair anyways), but it certainly diminished my faith in that company.

mberoose
November 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
ebay? between paypal and their fees you are often in 20% over the price.
Again, you have to watch shipping.

What on earth are you talking about?

FWIW, I actively sell tons of gun accessories on there, and I have yet to find an instance where the prices weren't cheaper than the major retailers. Ebay/Paypal fees are just the cost of doing business to have the luxury of an efficient national forum to peddle goods.

An idiot (yes, idiot) last night offered me $22 on a Kahr mag I was selling. I was asking $29 shipped (with no best offer provision, I might add, which always ticks me off when people do that). I declined his offer and sent him the completed listings link to show him that I was already cheaper than what they're going for.

He wrote back and said he wanted to make the offer because Cheaper than Dirt had them for $27. I checked them out, and lo and behold, shipping was $12.

His logic was......interesting. Somebody else bought my mag in between our messages. :neener:

Hopkins
November 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Over the years I have spent thousands with Midway and due to their shipping scam have taken that business elsewhere.
On a positive note, I believe Brownells/Sinclair&co.s and a few other of Midway's competitors have taken note of customer dissatisfaction over shipping and handling policies and responded positively.

oneounceload
November 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Oneounce: now I didn't go saying that. Often CTD has very good prices on things you just have to be aware of what warehouse(s) your items are coming from. I actually really like CTD and midway both. As Krogen said: shop around, it takes very little time / effort to compare a few sites. If that is too much 'work' for you then pay for the convenience of ordering from just your one chosen place and don't complain about it later.

My gun club orders from Gamaliel - and it comes in on their truck, so I have no hazmat or shipping. Since the club gets a wholesale price break, I pay the regular listed web price and still save as that includes everything including tax

For bullets, I go to several other places. Midway is like going to Best Buy - you look at stuff in their catalog and find it elsewhere cheaper - same for CTD - yep, both will once in a blue moon have a great deal, but it is rare..... ;)

OilyPablo
November 30, 2012, 05:43 PM
Supporting ebay and Paypal for gun stuff is just nuts. These companies are decidedly antigun. I use them when forced, but never for gun stuff.

TITAN308
November 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
Oh I know why shipping is so high at Midway. I want all of you to think back to when you ordered stuff. Think very hard and try and recall from memory.

I quickly noticed anytime I ordered from Midway that the box that arrived always seemed massive for what I had ordered.

Sure enough, when I open the main "big" box - my smaller contents were inside safely packed away by a ton of shipping material, like those big air cushion pillow things.

Lots of the stuff I ordered and they sent in a massive box could easily fit in a box half that size and still be protected with material.

How do I know? Cause one day out of boredom I did just that. I had a bunch of USPS flat rate boxes I keep around for shipping and managed to fit the entire order they sent me, with pack peanuts and bubble wrap into a box HALF the size.

It is not the weight in my opinion they are charging you for, its the dimensions and the material that stuff in it. You'll notice they use their own labeled boxes. When was the last time you saw a small midway usa box? If its really small they send it via padded envelop, but the smallest box I've seen was the size of a USPS flat rate medium box for contents that would have fit in a small.

It only gets worse the larger your order.

Edit: Even when I order a 4oz bottle of DuraCoat color, the box it comes in could hold like eight of the 4oz bottles. The empty space is filled with those air pillows they seem to love.

Guess what happens if I order two 4oz bottles? The shipping is the same price. Imagine that....

rskent
December 1, 2012, 07:25 AM
The shipping at midway is a bit high. But I still shop there regularly. For bullets and powder/primers I have to shop around the net for the best price.
For most everything else they seem to have most of what I need in stock most of the time at a decent price and they do ship fast. They also almost
always have good coupons on retailmenot.com. I cant remember the last time I didn't get at least ten bucks off or free shipping. :cool:

2nd 41
December 1, 2012, 07:45 AM
Brownells is worse. The more ya spend the higher the shipping.

CraigC
December 1, 2012, 11:36 AM
Brownells is worse. The more ya spend the higher the shipping.
They do not have a surcharge for small orders and ship them cheaply. Not an option at Midway. :rolleyes:

WNTFW
December 1, 2012, 11:59 AM
I see it from both sides. As a customer shipping cost can sting. If you ever have to ship something you see what cost are involved. Same sting. These cost go beyond materials. You have to watch the shipping every time you order. Hazmat fee is a killer too.

OilyPablo
December 1, 2012, 12:11 PM
Not sure why more gun related places don't use Priority Mail Flat rate and charge the actual rate. (and the boxes are FREE) It's what my business does and some of our kits weigh 15+ pounds. Fairly rapid and reliable. Just go $6 (small) $11 (medium) and $15 (large)

22-rimfire
December 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
I suspect that it's because on average there is something in the order that they often can't ship via USPS and hence just settle on one shipper (UPS). But I agree with you in terms of shipping. Even Amazon uses USPS for some kinds of orders. Most seem to use UPS and it is more flexible for them. Some use FedEx, but not many. That should tell you something about ground rates. Also UPS and FedEx give preferred or discounted rates to shippers who do a lot of business with them and I don't think the USPS does this. Again, the flat rate USPS boxes are quite handy.

There is sometimes a "handling" charge built into the price. After all they are paying for the box, padding, packing, and physically mailing it. That costs money. The ones that don't have such a charge only do it because of the competition. But they would like to.

MachIVshooter
December 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
I order from Midway, Grafs & Buffalo Arms. All said and done, they're usually within a few dollars of each other, so it comes down to who has what I want on that day (And it's usually midway with larger orders)

The key to it is increasing the order size. If you order a box or two of bullets, you pat through the nose for shipping. If you order a dozen things at once, though, the shipping is reasonable.

Hazmat stuff I generally do not order online at all, though, unless it's going to be a sizeable quantity. Hazmat is too expensive.

CoThG
December 1, 2012, 02:24 PM
Any place but Midway. I will not subsidize Larry Potterfield's big shot lifestyle by purchasing ANYTHING from them.

MilsurpShooter
December 1, 2012, 02:51 PM
$75, 56 inch drag bag. Not heavy, somewhat bulky but not hard to stuff in a box. $15.50 to ship it and will take over 7 days to arrive. Really need the bag but no thanks lol.

DurangoKid
December 1, 2012, 08:26 PM
I refuse to support antgun proleft wing Orgs. I will not use Amazon which is a very antigun proleft Org.:barf:

MachIVshooter
December 2, 2012, 01:02 PM
I will not use Amazon which is a very antigun proleft Org.

Source?

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've never seen any verifiable evidence of it. That, and they sell pretty much every gun related accessory you can imagine. I have saved a lot of money ordering scopes, stocks, tactical lights, etc. on Amazon.

CraigC
December 2, 2012, 01:11 PM
I will not subsidize Larry Potterfield's big shot lifestyle by purchasing ANYTHING from them.
You don't believe in the American way of life? That a man can begin with nothing and through diligent hard work make a better life for himself and his family? Sounds more like envy to me. :barf:

I will not use Amazon which is a very antigun proleft Org.
Prove it.

Caliper_RWVA
December 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
$75, 56 inch drag bag. Not heavy, somewhat bulky but not hard to stuff in a box. $15.50 to ship it and will take over 7 days to arrive. Really need the bag but no thanks lol.

Seriously? A 56" drag bag, add packaging and a box and you have a five foot long box. ANY shipper is going to tack an oversize charge on that. That's not Midway, it's just the reality of shipping. Besides, are you going to find it for $90 locally?

Only once have I ordered just one item from any of these places. Yeah, the shipping was expensive but that's life. It's easy enough to use the wishlists on Midway or Brownells and grab one or two more items that I want to avoid the small purchase surcharge and not change the shipping cost more than a few cents or a dollar.

22-rimfire
December 2, 2012, 02:07 PM
I bet if Amazon got into the ammunition business, they would cause some heads to turn and pay attention.

FIVETWOSEVEN
December 2, 2012, 02:42 PM
I bought a mainspring for a Colt 1860 for 12 bucks and shipping was 6 bucks.

larryh1108
December 2, 2012, 02:59 PM
Companies that use UPS for shipping charge a higher price for shipping because UPS charges by the address (urban or rural) and charge lower for a business (usually near main roads) versus residences. When I see someone uses UPS I just go elsewhere unless it is an item I can't find anywhere else. Check it out the next time you are ordering and they have the figure the shipping box. Check the business address box and see the cost. Check the residence box and watch the cost jump. I wanted to have something delivered to my girlfriend's place (very rural) and the cost was double to mine which was ridiculous so I just didn't place the order. I won't pay $9 shipping for a $6 or even $20 part. Whoever said Pay Pal fees add 20% obviously has never used it. Anti gun? I see a lot of gun related items for sale including mags, slides, barrels, etc. Some people just don't know what they are talking about.

MachIVshooter
December 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
I bet if Amazon got into the ammunition business, they would cause some heads to turn and pay attention.

Maybe, but I doubt they'd be able to beat other discount ammo suppliers.

Amazon is not always the best price on everything, either. Most of the time, and especially when you figure free shipping. But I have had many instances when other sellers were cheaper, even with shipping. For instance, Walmart.com beat Amazon by about $30 on my Swann DVR surveillance system, even after tax & shipping.

larryh1108
December 2, 2012, 04:03 PM
Amazon does a lot of drop shipping. Nothing beats their Prime program with free 2 day shipping for a year on most items. I'm sure that Amazon would be considered a major player if they drop shipped ammo from the big guys. When Sportsman's offers free shipping and an ammo sale (like this weekend) it's hard to beat their delivered prices.

Swing
December 2, 2012, 04:15 PM
I called recently about two soft sided rifle cases, total weight about three pounds. Their shipping quote USPS was $55.

:eek:

OilyPablo
December 2, 2012, 05:48 PM
Amazon OK with most/some gun related items.

It's Ebay and Paypal who are decidedly ignorant of our Constitution, ignorantly motivated toward false benevolence and frankly worshiping at the feet of the new left.

oneounceload
December 2, 2012, 07:53 PM
Not sure why more gun related places don't use Priority Mail Flat rate and charge the actual rate. (and the boxes are FREE) It's what my business does and some of our kits weigh 15+ pounds. Fairly rapid and reliable. Just go $6 (small) $11 (medium) and $15 (large)
Does that person who assembles and packs the boxes work for free? I doubt it - how do you cover the costs of those folks in the shipping department? Remember - Obamacare is adding upwards of 40% to healthcare costs - and it has been doing it for two years where my wife works. After the first of the year, there is an extra 1% deducted from the employee and an extra 1% added to the employer's payroll tax

who do you think pays for that? YOU do

Businesses NEVER pay taxes - EVER.....YOU do they merely pass it through to you

OilyPablo
December 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
Does that person who assembles and packs the boxes work for free? I doubt it - how do you cover the costs of those folks in the shipping department? Remember - Obamacare is adding upwards of 40% to healthcare costs - and it has been doing it for two years where my wife works. After the first of the year, there is an extra 1% deducted from the employee and an extra 1% added to the employer's payroll tax

who do you think pays for that? YOU do

Businesses NEVER pay taxes - EVER.....YOU do they merely pass it through to you

You are preaching to the choir. In fact, you are coming on a bit strong - and trust me, it's not because I disagree with you.

Taxes?

I was merely suggesting a lower cost method of shipping. Naturally all costs are passed on to the consumer regardless of where it shows above or below the line.

oneounceload
December 2, 2012, 08:30 PM
UPS is Teamsters, USPS is also union, that leaves Fedex - and personally, where I live, they do GREAT job - I will use them over UPS every time

REDMASTA
December 2, 2012, 09:19 PM
Ive bought tons of stuff from Midway never had a problem...Then again my orders are usually well over $25 so the shipping seems reasonable...

EddieNFL
December 2, 2012, 09:23 PM
Ordering $20.00 worth of anything from anywhere is not going to be a good shipping value...unless you really need what they have. I rarely order parts, ammo, reloading supplies, etc., unless I can make it worthwhile. If I break a part and need it now gladly pay the freight.

A week or so ago I ordered a case of .22 ammo. Widner's had the best price, but their shipping was higher than Midway's. I live closer to Johnson, TN. Go figure.

spm
December 2, 2012, 09:28 PM
I think it is new. I ran into it a couple months ago. The handling fee is for orders under $25. I don't agree with it. I think handling small orders should be part of the cost of doing business, but it's their business to run as they see fit. I just wait until I can order $25 or more.

Fortunately I can pick up my orders at Midway and avoid shipping, so for me, that makes them cheaper than CTD or any of the other online houses.

spm
December 2, 2012, 09:34 PM
You don't believe in the American way of life? That a man can begin with nothing and through diligent hard work make a better life for himself and his family? Sounds more like envy to me.

+1.

I've met Larry Potterfield and he is very personable and down-to-earth. He contributes millions to shooting sports.

OilyPablo
December 2, 2012, 09:40 PM
Nothing against the man, but if his competition beats him out, well that's where my money goes.

22-rimfire
December 3, 2012, 12:15 AM
Wow. Didn't know Wildners was in Johnson City TN. Learn something everyday... which means I pay sales tax. Ouch.

CountryUgly
December 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
Here's my take on it. Maybe shipping is a little more than some obscure websites and smaller companies but it's way less than CTD and they are higher than wally world but I order from them because it's hassle free and I've never waited more than 3 days for anything to arrive at my door. I point click carry on and in under 72hrs I got my stuff without having to drive 30 miles fight a crowd and wait in line for 20mins or more. It 's easy to order from them and no worries about when or if you'll get your stuff. The extra couple of bucks on occassion is worth the peace of mind. Oh BTW they have all kinds of promo codes and honestly I've rarely had to pay shipping and usually end up paying less than the basket total when using then codes ;)

MilsurpShooter
December 3, 2012, 05:21 PM
Seriously? A 56" drag bag, add packaging and a box and you have a five foot long box. ANY shipper is going to tack an oversize charge on that. That's not Midway, it's just the reality of shipping. Besides, are you going to find it for $90 locally?

Only once have I ordered just one item from any of these places. Yeah, the shipping was expensive but that's life. It's easy enough to use the wishlists on Midway or Brownells and grab one or two more items that I want to avoid the small purchase surcharge and not change the shipping cost more than a few cents or a dollar.
I just don't see it as a 5 foot box, cloth folds, isn't too heavy. But if they have to ship it flat, yeah makes more sense, just don't see why they'd do that. And I could get a cheaper locally, just would have to hard case it and I'm tired of having to play tetris to get the hard cases to fit in my trunk honestly lol

TAKtical
December 3, 2012, 05:24 PM
In my experience, amazon prime pays for itself in about a month. Also, Ive noticed that when I order a bunch of items from cheaperthandirt or midway, shipping isnt bad but ordering a few small parts can cost $12-$15 dollars. I actually decided not to order anything a few times because I was paying almost as much in shipping as I was for the items I wanted.

EddieNFL
December 3, 2012, 08:25 PM
I just don't see it as a 5 foot box, cloth folds, isn't too heavy. But if they have to ship it flat, yeah makes more sense, just don't see why they'd do that.

Because when you saw the permanent crease, you'd be pissed and ask why on earth would they do that.

mgkdrgn
December 4, 2012, 11:04 PM
Companies that use UPS for shipping charge a higher price for shipping because UPS charges by the address (urban or rural) and charge lower for a business (usually near main roads) versus residences.

Pssstttt. So does FedEx ground.

larryh1108
December 4, 2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks, I did not know that. It is good to know. To me you can't beat the fixed rate boxes from the USPS. If it fits, it ships! (bad slogan stealing). I do believe that companies that do not offer this option lose a lot of sales. I am one of them and there are several others mentioned in this thread.

fallout mike
December 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
Was about to order something from cheaper than dirt a couple days ago. Maybe 4 #'s. $17.99. Shipping was going to be $21.99. No thank you!!

oneounceload
December 5, 2012, 04:50 PM
To me you can't beat the fixed rate boxes from the USPS. If it fits, it ships! (bad slogan stealing). I do believe that companies that do not offer this option lose a lot of sales. I am one of them and there are several others mentioned in this thread.

And the USPS is broke and has raised rates a lot in recent years.

UPS is Teamster; Fedex is not, but both are making money for their shareholders, not costing tax payers hundreds of millions

I'd say their business model is working while the USPS is not.........

Robert
December 5, 2012, 05:07 PM
Now that we are down to the politics of shippers I'd say we can call this one done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Insane shipping prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!