G23 and sights

PDA

stevolene
November 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
found a good buy on a 23 government trade in, hardly any wear, however the Trijicon sights no longer glow, anyone have any experience in sight replace on a Glock?

If you enjoyed reading about "G23 and sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
newglockguy
November 30, 2012, 01:55 AM
Replaced my sights on my G 23 with these. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210677/truglo-tfo-sight-set-glock-17-17l-19-22-23-24-26-27-33-34-35-38-39-steel-tritium-fiber-optic-green-front-yellow-rear. Tritium and fiber optic, best of both worlds but I have a standard 3 dot Trijicon set on my G 19. As for installation I went to a gunsmith because I didn't want to scar up my guns and I wanted it done right

creeper1956
November 30, 2012, 02:35 AM
Before you spend money on brand new sights, contact Trijicon. I believe they still offer a capsule replacement service where you send them your slide, and they turn it around with new tritium capsules... in about a week, plus ship times.

ku4hx
November 30, 2012, 06:52 AM
Glock's rear sights are friction fit; front sights are generally held by a thin nut. The little nut is best removed using the front sight removal tool which is actually a small socket wrench. Small needle nose pliers can work.

You can drift the rear sight in and out but extra care is advised installing new night sights because impact can break the capsules. Far better to get the proper tool.

I replaced mine a couple of times then sold my two tools and went with Crimson Trace lasers for low light situations. I've got six of them: see dot; see hole. CT's customer service is outstanding. I had one laser suddenly start presenting two dots. I called them and had the replacement three days after I made the call. Wife and I much prefer lasers.

Elkins45
November 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
My carry gun has both night sights and a laser. Batteries fail.

As someone else said, Trijicon will relamp your existing sights. I'm not sure of the cost but I've been told its reasonable.

CPshooter
November 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
Take a look at these:

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_11&products_id=142

A little pricey, but well worth it to me. I have them on all of my Glocks.

I bought the MGW sight pusher for Glocks and do my own sight removal and installation. After a few trips to the local gunsmith for sight installations, you'll spend as much as the sight pusher costs anyhow so IMO it's a worthwhile investment. YMMV.

rbernie
November 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
I like a bead/dot front and plain black rear. Right now, my Glocks sport a factory rear sight that's been reversed in the dovetail (black back, white outline now facing forward) and either a factory white dot front, a front tritium, or a front gold bead from 10-8.

Hit_Factor
November 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
my Glocks sport a factory rear sight that's been reversed in the dovetail (black back, white outline now facing forward) and either a factory white dot front, a front tritium

Me too, but I install the steel glock rear.

Dreamliner787
November 30, 2012, 08:04 PM
I like the Truglo TFO for my G23.

mljdeckard
December 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
You can buy a sight pusher tool, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are only planning on doing it to one gun. As stated above, I believe Trijicon will replace the vials for free.

Jorg Nysgerrig
December 2, 2012, 04:09 AM
As stated above, I believe Trijicon will replace the vials for free.
I'm not sure about free. Depends on the age of the lamps.

What's the date code on the sites? If it's past 12 years (coincidentally, the half-life of tritium), you'll likely have to pay to have the lamps replaced.

If you enjoyed reading about "G23 and sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!