RB vs Conical Target Printing

PDA

rodwha
November 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure I understand why it is that conicals, although much heavier, and with a smaller powder charge, will print much higher on a target. It seems to me that it ought to be the other way around. The only thing I can possibly see is the horrible BC's of a RB.

If you enjoyed reading about "RB vs Conical Target Printing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robert garner
November 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Higher mass=lower velocity=longer barrel time=bullet released from tube later at a higher angle. hope this helps
robert

Hellgate
December 1, 2012, 01:44 PM
Rodwha,
Garner succintly describes it. Years ago I tried to get two handloads to print to the same POA so I didn't have to change my sights on the gun for the different ammo. One was a light 110gr bullet, the other 158gr (357mag). No matter what powder or velocities I tried, the heavier bullet always hit higher. The heavier bullet with faster loads just created more recoil and muzzle jump. With slower loads and the heavy bullet there was the longer barrel time. The lighter bullet was always out the barrel first with less recoil. It drove me nuts.

If you enjoyed reading about "RB vs Conical Target Printing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!