Small issue with my S&W airweight.

PDA

jon86
November 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
The cylinder release on my 638 keeps loosening itself up. The screw loosens by itself. I have to tighten it about once a week. I don't even have to shoot the gun in order for this to occur. The screw loosens up just by me carrying it daily. Any ideas of why? It is kind of a new issue. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small issue with my S&W airweight." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
If you are talking about the cap nut that holds the thumb piece on??

Take it off, degrease the threads with a Q-Tip and alcohol.
Then put one very small drop of BLUE #242 Lock-Tight on it and put it back together.

After the LT cures overnight, it won't come loose again unless you want it too.

If you are talking about the ejector rod unscrewing, do the same L-T thing to it.

rc

jon86
November 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks RC.

Yes, I am talking about this screw:

Guillermo
November 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
yep

RC's instructions are for that screw.

Fixed easy.

:)

MikeJackmin
November 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
On a slightly related note, why does BLUE loctite come in a RED tube? I hate that.

Guillermo
November 30, 2012, 11:20 PM
why does BLUE loctite come in a RED tube?

I have no idea.

Brian Williams
December 1, 2012, 05:45 AM
Another thing to try is to clean the threads with Alcohol and then rub a bit of beeswax or Ivory soap in the threads. it provides a bit of lube and sticky but does not have the "problems" of Locktite. Good beeswax is best.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small issue with my S&W airweight." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!