Patternmaster Tubes and a thought or two.

PDA

blarby
November 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Ok, so it would seem that the premise of patternmaster shotgun tubes :

http://www.patternmaster.com/

Would be to stall the wad just enough to allow the shot to fully escape the wad at the point of the muzzle, as opposed to the wad carrying shot forward and lengthening the shot string.

Seems a simple enough premise.

My question is this :

Would it be possible to create or modify an existing wad/load that would perform similarly without the specialized choke tube ?

A wad that opens up fully by some mechanism immediately upon leaving the BBL ?

A "soft side" wad- like the rolled plastic or fiber sheets that are rolled up, and simply rest upon a gas seal in the shell ?

Thoughts ?

Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, as the patternmaster tubes apparently do a fine job of this- just wondering if it would be possible to simulate the process in a serious custom handload.

If you enjoyed reading about "Patternmaster Tubes and a thought or two." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JLDickmon
November 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
effort

blarby
November 30, 2012, 11:18 PM
Effort eh ?

Yup, I suppose........

FROGO207
December 1, 2012, 12:17 AM
I use a stump wad/buffer with my buckshot loads for my 410. Investigate some of the old style felt or cork wads to see what the patterns were. It seems they would offer more pattern choices/variation but the nitro cards were less efficient than the plastic wads are today. Using the stump wad and the correct wad column there are some more choices for you unless you are using steel/bismuth/nontoxic shot.

blarby
December 1, 2012, 12:25 AM
I guess I should have specified that.

Ya, it would be for non-toxic waterfowl loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Patternmaster Tubes and a thought or two." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!