Reloading for my new savage model 10 HNTR

PDA

glockky
December 1, 2012, 12:58 AM
I just got a new savage model 10 predator hunter in 223 , and its looks like a really nice rifle. It is a 1:9 twist.

There is so many different bullet weights out there, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this rifle to give me a place to start. I hate to but a bunch of bullets just to try. thanks for the info in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for my new savage model 10 HNTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kachok
December 1, 2012, 01:23 AM
What are you using it for? Varmint, deer, or target only?

glockky
December 1, 2012, 01:26 AM
Plan on being a varmint rifle that use to punch paper with a lot too.

Kachok
December 1, 2012, 01:39 AM
Nosler Ballistic Tips are hard to beat, the 55gr BT gets rage reviews. That is where I would start.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1758533930/nosler-ballistic-tip-varmint-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-55-grain-spitzer-boat-tail
I have a long history with Nosler and Serria, they make REALLY good stuff

Steve in PA
December 1, 2012, 02:18 PM
I have a Savage 12FV in .223 and I've shot everything from 45gr, 55gr and 75gr bullets with exceptional accuracy.

Choose your poison!

JLDickmon
December 2, 2012, 11:48 AM
best group I ever shot with my Savage was 2.5" at a measured 250 yards.

Nosler Ballistic Tips

roostershooter7
December 2, 2012, 11:55 AM
New guy here, but I have been reloading for my 223 rifles for a long long time.

With a 1:9 twist barrel I would stay with bullets that are 75 gr. and below. My 1:9 barrels like Hornady 75 gr. AMax bullets for deer and boars, and 62 gr. bullets for bobcat, coyote, and ground hog. You will get a lot of different opinions on what people think are the best brand. Find yours and stick with it.

I will add that I have found 55 gr. bullets to be the worst bullet for my rifles. As a matter of fact ... anything BUT 55 gr. will do. I have loaded super accurate loads using IMR 8208 XBR using a 50 gr. Hornady Vmax bullet.

I'm not partial to Hornady over any other brand. It is just what's available to me locally, and for the best price for the volume I load and shoot.

thump_rrr
December 2, 2012, 12:05 PM
Sierra 69gr Matchkings for a 1-9" twist would be the way I would go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading for my new savage model 10 HNTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!