Carry inside unmarked public buildings (with permit) a crime in NC?

PDA

Snowdog
December 1, 2012, 04:50 AM
A coworker who seems fairly knowledgeable about guns and gun laws just informed me that NC considers it a crime to carry a concealed firearm into any "public" place such as Walmart and shopping malls.

Now, I've had a CCW in NC for right at 15 years and had yet to hear such a thing. I'm well aware of being forbidden from carrying public (as in gov't owned) locations such as courthouses, post offices and the like, but has there been any changes in the law in the past year that forbid carrying in department stores and restaurants (that don't serve alcohol) presuming they lack any "no guns" signs?

I'm told this is something new. I'm thinking I would have heard about something as absurd as this long before now if there was any truth to it.

Also, is there a credible website that explains in layman's term the law surrounding CCW in North Carolina and any federal laws that may supersede it so that I might pass it along to him (he possesses a CCW) as well.

If it matters any, his source for this new law is from a couple Buncomb County deputies that work with us who, according to him, state it's widely known and enforced in the area.

I'm thinking either he misunderstood them or they misunderstand the law they're tasked to enforce, but I know the knowledgeable folks here will know for certain.

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry inside unmarked public buildings (with permit) a crime in NC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
December 1, 2012, 04:57 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Your friend is grossly misinformed.

Snowdog
December 1, 2012, 05:34 AM
Thank you, Sam!

From the research I've done since posting, I was coming to that conclusion as well. I will print, and hand to him, that pdf you provided.

Thanks again.

AirForceShooter
December 1, 2012, 07:31 AM
As crazy as NC can get they haven't gone that far yet.

AFS

Frank Ettin
December 1, 2012, 10:55 AM
Asked and answered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry inside unmarked public buildings (with permit) a crime in NC?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!