Are Used Glocks as RELIABLE ??

PDA

Glockedout17
December 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
I've bought used guns before and I never felt any different than if I was buying a new gun. I've bought a used Taurus before and it was totally reliable, so I know that used guns aren't all that bad. I felt that the most reliable pistol known to human kind would be a great example and yesterday I got one.

I picked up a used Glock 19 gen 3 yesterday and a thought just came to mind. If Glocks are so reliable why would someone trade one in? I know that there are many answers to that question. However, I know that Glocks are known for their reliabilty, but just how reliable are used Glocks? What kind of experiences have you guys had with used Glocks? I would like to see what kind of experience you guys have had with your used Glocks.

Feel free to enter your used Glock present day Round count before part failure. That would also be interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Used Glocks as RELIABLE ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wanderinwalker
December 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
Sure, why not? People trade in guns all the time for reasons other than they don't work.

Off the top of my head:
1) Somebody really wanted the new MXiGther and didn't want to have multipled guns.
2) Somebody needed the cash.
3) Somebody was given a gun they didn't want.
4) Somebody thought the gun was "worn out" (you know, they've shot a box through it every six months for the last 5 years).

I picked up a used Glock 26 a few years ago that has been 100%. It still had the copper grease on the slide when I bought it. Reason it was traded? Somebody was getting divorced.

beatledog7
December 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
If I buy a new Glock today, it's a used Glock tomorrow.

Onmilo
December 1, 2012, 12:19 PM
I bought my Gen3 G19 in 2004 used, only thing I replaced were the sights, haven't even put an NY-1 trigger spring in which is something I normally do. Still running just fine.
Mine was a cop gun that was traded when the Department went to an .40 caliber only policy and he traded for a G23.

TAKtical
December 1, 2012, 12:33 PM
Used glocks are my favorite. All the glocky goodness at a much cheaper price. I bought a beat up old OD Green 17 many years ago and it has been my EDC ever since. Never a failure of any type aside from one incident with a korean mag I tested at the range and another with a mag that had some old follower that I had never seen before. So I guess I should say I've never had a failure using glock factory mags with #6 followers.

leadcounsel
December 1, 2012, 12:43 PM
I have never had problems in the many Glocks, new and well used, that I've shot.

Just picked up a lightly used Gen 2 G22 yesterday for $380 with 1 high cap mag. Stoked! Saved about 30% off retail!

Glockedout17
December 1, 2012, 02:37 PM
Mine still had some copper grease on it also. That's a good thing right?

powder
December 1, 2012, 02:54 PM
I've bought 2 new Gs, and probably 12-15 used ones.

Round count? Have no idea. Guesstimate: 15,000 +/- 2K.

Lots of used Gs on market were LE Dept. trade-ins that wholesalers snapped up, and then flip.

As a G Armorer I just replace parts before failure-never had a failure. The parts kits are so cheap, for the expendable stuff..

Why do guys sell them? Who knows. Replace the RSA every 4K or so rounds, barrels every 25K rounds. Shoot on...

Dan-O
December 1, 2012, 04:07 PM
As good or better.

newglockguy
December 1, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have my dads gen 2 glock 23 that he bought in 1994 and its evident he put it to good use. I still have all the original parts on it and have had NO malfunctions of any kind. So if you're looking at a gen 3 I say go for it and save yourself some money

mljdeckard
December 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
I have no problem at all buying a used Glock, I have done so a couple of times. Most shooters will never come close to shooting it enough to where it needs even routine maintenence like spring changes. If I had to go buy a gun right now, no history known, sight unseen, I would look for a Glock. I'm not saying it's impossible to mess one up, but you need to get creative to do it.

Baba Louie
December 1, 2012, 05:17 PM
If Glocks are so reliable why would someone trade one in?To get a new one of course. Or maybe to get something else... You might find after taking it out for a few hundred rounds that it, I dunno, doesn't fit your hand, doesn't point naturally, trigger isn't crisp enough (a reality for some) or that you just don't like the darned thing.

But a lot of people seem to like theirs, new or used. Some even say things like they LOVE theirs. I won't say that I've owned up to 5 of them in the past and am now down to 2, OK... I will. I've still got the 17 and the 21, my son took the 30, an old GF the 19, her son the 26.

I enjoy shooting them. Bought new, I could sell you one or the other, both heavily used now, and you'd do fine with them and probably save some money as opposed to buying new, but they're not for sale. ;)

So go shoot the heck out of it. Find out if you like it, love it or even if it's not right for you.

You might tend to shoot low left at first if you're right handed. It happens. That trigger might take a little gettin used to if you're used to shooting 1911s or such.

Wishoot
December 1, 2012, 06:09 PM
I bought a used G22 police trade-in a couple of years ago that still had some of that copper stuff on it. Cosmetically, it wasn't the most beautiful thing in the world, but it purred like a kitten on the firing range. I sold it just because I'm not a fan of of the caliber. If I could get a good deal on a used G26, 19 or 17, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

coolluke01
December 1, 2012, 06:26 PM
The nice thing about modern polymer striker fired guns is that they are simple machines. This is not a car, computer or washing machine. If they work when they are new, they will work when they are used. As some have stated, some parts need replacing.

Some gun designs are not as simple and may have wear on integral parts to the frame or slide that are not so easy or cheap to change out. Not so likely on the Glock.

Roadking Rider
December 1, 2012, 08:54 PM
I bought a used Glock 26 last year and a used Kahr PM9 two years ago. Never gave it a thought about it not working as good as a new one. The owner of the gunshop I deal with tells me you wouldn't believe how many people buy guns just to turn around a couple months later and trade them in for all sorts of reasons. Many of them are barely broken it. My friend sold me his Glock. He shot ten rounds through it, and then it spent the next a year and a half in the back of the safe. Todays name brand pistols with a 1000 rounds through it is nothing but, most have nothing near that. I never buy guns that are not 100% stock. About half of my pistols and most of my rifles were bought used. Never had a problem with any of them. I have a few friends that never buy new guns.

Plan2Live
December 1, 2012, 09:21 PM
"Are used Glocks as RELIABLE?" As WHAT?

I bought a used Ruger Police Six, a used Remington 700, a used Remington 870 and used Sig Sauer 239. Each of them has been 100% reliable. Why would you would think the Austrian Semi-auto would be any less reliable?

When you buy any used item you take a chance that it wasn't properly cared for so you learn what to look for and you do a thorough inspection before buying.

SlamFire1
December 1, 2012, 09:37 PM
There are a lot of owners who only shoot a couple of boxes through a pistol before trading it in on a new toy.

Don't worry about used unless it is really abused.

mgmorden
December 1, 2012, 11:28 PM
That's a pretty convoluted theory you have on why a used Glock wouldn't be reliable.

Suffice to say, if it wasn't reliable - Glock will fix them for you. So the original purchaser would have no need to get rid of them for due to being unreliable and even if they did - you'd still get it fixed.

A lot of the Glock 22's on the market in particular are police trade-ins. Nothing wrong with them except that police depts change them out every now and then.

Brockak47
December 2, 2012, 02:04 AM
Shaking my head...

Dlowe167
December 2, 2012, 02:38 AM
In Columbus,Ohio a place called "Vances" just about every year they buy used cop glocks. Never heard anything bad. Cops use them more than an average person. Check feed ramp and spring,then enjoy

Landis45
December 2, 2012, 03:10 AM
I would have no second thoughts about buying a used glock... would actually prefer a used glock over a lot of the new pistols on the market today and would feel more comfortable with their reliability.

Bubba613
December 2, 2012, 04:33 AM
I've sold about 50 used Glocks, some of them Gen2 models. My own Glock 17 is a Gen2 and is 100%. As long as the recoil spring is still good there is never a problem with them.

Shuler13
December 2, 2012, 05:26 AM
I bought my first glock used (g22 gen4) LE trade in. Great gun and very reliable, but decided to eliminate .40 from my lineup.

And if I'm not mistaken, you can take any old glock to the company and they'll swap out any parts that are prone to wear out for you. So yeah, buy used with confidence. Used is as reliable as new and can save you some dough

OARNGESI
December 2, 2012, 05:30 AM
Ihave owned
2 17s
2 31s
1 22
1 27
1 33
none of those had any issues, and all were bought used

SharpsDressedMan
December 2, 2012, 07:12 AM
If they have a glitch at all, it is usually during the break in period. Most used Glocks are way past that, so they should be BETTER. :)

hentown
December 2, 2012, 08:09 AM
I figured out a long time ago that buying new Glocks was pretty damned stupid. I've never been able to differentiate my Glocks that I bought used from my Glocks that I bought new. Glock will fix your Glock free, forever, whether you're the first or fiftieth owner.

"Why would anybody trade in a reliable Glock (or any other reliable firearm)?" That question doesn't deserve an adult answer! :evil:

Glockedout17
December 2, 2012, 06:24 PM
I know that Glocks are reliable. I like my Glock 19 and always wanted one, so when I saw this one I thought to myself , "WTH would someone trade this in especially in such great condition and with the factory copper grease still on it". I guess I was just curious to see what some reasons might be.

hentown
December 2, 2012, 07:39 PM
I know guys who trade firearms just because that's what they like to do. Has nothing to do with the reliability or desirability of any particular firearm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any used Glock, if the price is right.

LeonCarr
December 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
There are no used Glocks, they are just broken in. All of my current Glocks (4) were bought as used police trade ins, and they all run like a top.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

psyopspec
December 3, 2012, 04:24 PM
When I sold Glocks in the past, it was for financial hardship. Times have gotten better for me in recent years, so it would be easy to make funny remarks about how silly it is to sell a gun. But for those who find themselves in a position where they need the money, I empathize. It sucks.

I've only had one problem with a used Glock, a Gen 3 19 that needed a new recoil spring after about 500 of my rounds went down the pipe. You know how there are guns that end up in the used case that are carried a lot, shot a little? This one was the opposite. It was externally pristine, and it appeared the previous owner went to great lengths to keep it clean. However, it had some miles on it. Bought it for $350, and since the new spring it's been 100%.

Glockedout17
December 4, 2012, 03:29 PM
The used Gen 3 G19 that I picked up the other day has that old 336 ejector installed. I wonder if it had ejection issues, and that being the reason for the trade in. Only one way for me to find out.

hentown
December 4, 2012, 05:15 PM
Most of you guys are probably not old enough to be familiar with the movie, "Deliverance". Guy who looked a lot like the guy who made Ned squeal used to shoot at our local WMA range a lot. He was a minimum-wage kind of guy, but somehow managed to buy nice firearms occasionally. He'd invariably get in a financial bind and his "magic price" was $300.

I'll just name a few deals I got from the guy: (1) Like-new 3rd Gen G21 with factory night sights; (2) like-new Remmy 700 VLS .223; (3) pristine stainless Colt Anaconda. Also bought a Burris Sig 8-32x44mm target scope from him at around $200-$250.

I let a friend of mine have the Remmy and the Anaconda for the same price that I paid.

M1key
December 5, 2012, 09:44 PM
All but two of mine were purchased used...

M

orionengnr
December 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
I picked up a used Glock 19 gen 3 yesterday and a thought just came to mind. If Glocks are so reliable why would someone trade one in?
Really?

Are you still riding the first bicycle you ever bought?
Are you still driving the first car/truck you ever owned?
Do you still live in the same house where you were born?
Are you married to the first gal you ever kissed?

My G23 was brandy new, my G19 was well-used. No problem with either one, but tastes change. I am quite sure both are performing quite well for their current owners.

If I were looking to buy a used handgun, reliability in a used Glock would be about my last concern.

ku4hx
December 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
Are my guns are used and I shoot the fire out of them to make that happen. An unused gun is a paperweight. Or maybe a boat anchor is some cases.

TheReiver
December 8, 2012, 01:00 AM
I've owned and carried used a 19 and 17, both second generation. I fired hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through both of them and never had a single problem apart from the 19 failing to fire a Tulammo round that I later discovered had no powder. (Apparently even the Glock needs gunpowder in the casing XD)

They both had major holster wear but were mechanically 100%. I say just check to make sure the barrel isn't bulged and the frame isn't damaged. Maybe replace the springs for some inexpensive peace of mind. Glocks seem to age well, so don't worry too much.

Roadking Rider
December 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
And right now (Pre holidays) is a great time to look for good used guns. People who have fallen on hard times trade there safe queens in because they need the money for holidays.
I'm going to the GS Monday to see what came in over the weekend..

Glockedout17
December 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
And right now (Pre holidays) is a great time to look for good used guns. People who have fallen on hard times trade there safe queens in because they need the money for holidays.
I'm going to the GS Monday to see what came in over the weekend..
Great idea!!

the count
December 8, 2012, 09:35 PM
Please define used: Just sitting in a drawer, unfired, for 3 years? 20 rounds through it? 200? 2000? If you know how to check a used semi auto and the price is right, may the force be with you.

tomrkba
December 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
My Glocks jam like any other gun. It's not that it happens; the important part is how you remediate the jam.

I replace several parts in any used Glock I buy unless I know the round count or the gun is obviously new. I replace all the springs. I inspect the small parts and replace any part that shows more than nominal wear. I always rebuild the magazines with a new follower, spring and base plate if the feed lips appear to be in good condition. This system has worked well for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Used Glocks as RELIABLE ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!