What are the Toughts?

PDA

Trung Si
December 1, 2012, 05:17 PM
On the Pietta Army 1860 on Sale at Cabellas right now, I know absolutely nothing about Re Pro Black Powder Guns!:o

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the Toughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wap41
December 1, 2012, 05:43 PM
A lot of people start out with import repo's but wind up upgrading later on.Get a ruger old army to start with and you'll never have to change.It might take a little searching but you should be able to find a blued model in the $300/350 area.

rodwha
December 1, 2012, 05:57 PM
I prefer large bore, but if all you'll be doing is shooting paper or cans you may want to look into a .36 cal as it's slightly cheaper to shoot.

To me there's nothing like a thundering roar and the ability to hunt with it if I become proficient enough (as it stands I'm not quite good enough outside of 15 yds - I require small enough groups to 25 yds minimum). But it would certainly accompany me as a back up.

DoubleDeuce 1
December 1, 2012, 05:58 PM
For me, I've acquired several black powder revolvers. They have mostly been the Colt or Colt types. I would some day like to find a Ruger Old Army to add to the collection. I have passed up several. I can't say why, but at those times, for some reason the appeal was lost for the Ruger. Maybe one day, just not today.

Whatever you decide to buy, have fun with it. Understand that the attraction can only get worse. One generally, is never enough.:cool:

unknwn
December 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
I'm just the opposite. I started with a couple of Rugers and then found an old ASM/CVA kit '51 in a closet (bought for my Dad back in the 70's) that set me on a trek to fill my mitts with Ital' repro Colt's and a couple of Remmies. Once I got my hands on a Cimmaron Richards-Mason .38 Special I haven't been able to stop.
I guess it's a good thing I'm not married, because I wouldn't be in short order.
For some reason I just don't think that there are very many wifely types that really appreciate black powder revolvers enough to put up with my hankerin' for Piettas and Ubertis .

Trung Si
December 1, 2012, 08:19 PM
Guys the one I am talking about is .44 Cal!;)

jason41987
December 1, 2012, 10:09 PM
why is it whenever someone makes a post with an interest in cap and ball, someone, if not multiple people have to suggest an old army? did it ever occur to anyone that theyre inquiring about colts or remingtons because they might want something historical?... a replica of something used in one of the greatest conflicts on american soil?.. or maybe they like the engineering that bridges the gap between muzzleloading and cartridges

im pretty sure no one wakes up one morning and decides to get into cap and ball purely for the labor involved in loading them, and then cleaning them when theyre done... history is what sparks the interest for most people and an old army could never hope to offer any kind of history

so for the original poster.. nothing wrong with piettas 1860, in fact, i bought a pietta 1860 just a few days ago, but mine was a slightly different model... id just stay away from the brass framed 1851s they sell until they start using the correct grip profile

as for loading them, there are many black powder alternatives, pyrodex, 777, etc... but black powder is more traditional, some say more fun, and it does offer better performance... a normal loading for one of these would be 30 grains of FFFg black powder and a .454" lead ball

some people prefer covering the front of the cylinder with grease to prevent chainfire.. but its a messy practice i never muched liked at all, so i used lubed felt wads... first pour the powder into the cylinders, place the wad into the cylinder, then ram a bullet into it, put some caps on the back of the cylinder and youre ready to go

4v50 Gary
December 1, 2012, 10:14 PM
I prefer the Ruger Old Army, but you gotta start somewhere (and be within your budget). Read these two threads, buy the gun and go out and have fun (safely).

So you want a cap 'n ball revolver (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=223515) and

How to best use a cap 'n ball revolver (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=65820)

kBob
December 1, 2012, 10:15 PM
Cap'n,

You should defenately go for the gun that cost two or tree times as much, is no longer in production and has few spares available.........NOT!

Sounds Dinkydow to suggest an ROA for a newbee to me.

Leave the ROA alone unless later you find you just have to have one.

I have had no problems with my Piettas worth meantioning and hey Cabala's are on sale. Sounds good to me.

-kBob

MCgunner
December 1, 2012, 10:21 PM
I really think the Pietta '58 Remmies make better beginner revolvers, but the sale on that '60 Colt is one of those Cabelas things that's hard to resist. I picked up my 5.5" Remmy last year at the same sale price and it's a shooter. :D

I have an ROA and love it, but it's not like the Piettas aren't fun revolvers. They're not quite as accurate, but they're accurate enough to be worthy.

jason41987
December 1, 2012, 10:46 PM
mcgunner, ill have to agree with you about the remington being better to start on than with the colt... colts seem to take a bit more care to keep functioning properly... heck, drive the wedge in too hard and it could make it difficult to operate... remingtons are so much more simpler and a better place to start

however, if someone wants a colt style, theyre going to have to learn the ins and outs of the colt design anyway, so that $180 1860 army would be the perfect place for someone to start... and certainly this deal he speaks of is a good one and he wont regret buying one at that price

Skinny 1950
December 1, 2012, 11:28 PM
If you start with an 1860 you can work your way back..1851..1849..1848..1847 then go forward 1861..1873..1911 and all the ones that I missed,you can't have just one.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/Skinny1950/RangeAug292011003crop.jpg

arcticap
December 1, 2012, 11:54 PM
It has enough beautiful curvy lines that it should be nicknamed
the "eighteen sexy".
Very few folks ever get tired of looking at photos of them either!
And they have a super comfy grip too! :)
Ooooh! Ahhhh! Stainless! (clickity click on the link)

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/13311/13669216_1.jpg?v=8CF49D663536CD0

Pancho
December 2, 2012, 12:11 AM
I agree with the opinions that ones first step into the world of muzzleloading should be affordable. The mechanics of muzzleloading are so different from modern smokeless shooting that I'd suggest that one "test the waters".

Trung Si
December 2, 2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks to the Members that answered my original Question, I would really like to have the Real Thing to add to my collection, but since I can't afford that right now, I might as well get one that I can shoot!;)

wap41
December 2, 2012, 10:42 AM
if you want an original cap and ball revolver,I will be listing a civil war era 36 cal manhattan firearms co revolver for sale later today {need to take pics}for under $600.

Saddlebag Preacher
December 2, 2012, 05:50 PM
I got my Pietta 1860 in Thursday and shot it Friday. Sweet gun. But I can't really go with the Rugers because I have to stay historically correct for some of my sidelines, at least from 3 feet away.

The 1860 shot a little high and to the left a bit, but not as much as I had heard. Nothing I can't compensate for. The action was great, the timing was perfect. Of course it has the Pietta warnings on the side of the barrel, which uberti doesn't, but the case coloring was a 100% improvement over the barely visible case coloring on the Uberti's.

It was a cabella's sale gun also.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are the Toughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!