Optimal OAL for 150gr LSWC in 45ACP?

PDA

Shrinkmd
December 1, 2012, 07:12 PM
I did some experimenting with OAL with the Dardas 150gr LSWC bullets in .452 I had made loads in the past, and had some FTF problems, but I don't remember (and can't seem to find) what OAL I used.

So I made up batches of 25 with OAL of 1.255, 1.260, 1.265, and 1.275 (and remembered to write down the value on the Redding seater, so I can reproduce them) The good news is, they all fed fine in my 1911, without any stoppages. I was using mixed fired 45 brass with Wolf LP primers (left over from the last Great Primer Shortage, when it was all I could get) and Bullseye 6.5 gr.

I was shooting more for function that accuracy today, and it was cold and hard to concentrate, so I don't have any strong sense that one load shot better than the other.

What is my next best move to optimize this load? Should I make up 100 at each OAL to make sure they all feed properly? Should a longer OAL in theory be more accurate? Would I want to confirm perfect feeding at a given OAL before I start varying the powder charge, looking for optimal accuracy?

Thanks for any advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Optimal OAL for 150gr LSWC in 45ACP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Optimal OAL for 150gr LSWC in 45ACP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!