Which 45 colt Missouri Bullet

PDA

wc beagle
December 2, 2012, 09:42 AM
Merry Christmas to All
I have a new Ruger 45 convertible Flattop SS with a 4.63 barrel. Was wondering if anyone on here is reloading for the same revolver. I have had good result with
other MB for my other pistols and plan on using their bullets for this one. The pistol will be use for every day woods use around the farm and range work with
the 45 colt cylinder. Can anyone recommend an accurate load for MB'S 250 grain RNFP or the 255 SWC. If a load is recommended I will work up to it like I should.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 45 colt Missouri Bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
December 2, 2012, 10:52 AM
I use the 255 SWC in my 45 Colt with Unique. AA#5 is an alternate powder.

There are many other powders that will work well as well.

mavracer
December 2, 2012, 10:58 AM
8.5 gr of unique behind missouri's 250gr keith bullet is my preferred load. it's accurate in all my 45 colts.

squarles67
December 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have the same revolver in blue finish. The 45 ACP cylinder doesn't get used much.

250g LRNFP with 6.3g of Red Dot for 833 fps

255g LSWC with 25.2g Win 296 for 1192 fps (Ruger Only load)

aladdin
December 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
I load both the MBC 250g RNFP and THE 255 SWC for my Blackhawk 4 5/8" barrel. 6.5g HP-38 accurate in all my Rugers.

SDGlock23
December 3, 2012, 11:52 AM
I've used Missouri 250gr RNFP bullets in the .45 Colt and .45 Super. They make a 255gr SWC which would be the better bullet IMHO in the .45 Colt. A really nice mid-level Ruger load is 9.5gr Unique behind the 255gr hardcast SWC.

It's powerful enough hunt with (in the lower 48 anyways) and to do just about anything you need a gun to do, that load will do it. Recoil is not bad, but you know you're shooting something with some power.

ArchAngelCD
December 3, 2012, 02:44 PM
MB has 45 Colt bullets available with a different bullet hardness. For normal working loads up to 900 fps their 12 BHN bullets are just fine. If you're looking for "Ruger Only" loads you might want to use their 18 BHN bullets.

With their 12 BHN bullets I have a few loads I like using a 250gr LRN or 255gr SWC bullet.

I like W231 in most handgun cartridges and the 45 Colt is no exception. With the above bullets I charge between 7.0gr and 7.2gr W231/HP-38.

I have been using more HS-6 in the 45 Colt lately and I really like 10.2gr HS-6 under the above bullets.

Like said above, AA#5 isn't a bad choice either but I have not found an AA#5 load that is as accurate as the W231 or HS-6 loads. Of course Unique is a good choice or use Universal which will mimic Unique's performance but it's cleaner and it meters better.

Arkansas Paul
December 3, 2012, 02:59 PM
I like the standard, 8.5 grains of Unique and the 255 SWC.
If you want to step it up a notch, try 17 grains of 2400 behind the same bullet. More thump and still manageable recoil.

41 Mag
December 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
About the best I have to has already been posted above. That said my 45 Colt is in the form of a Ruger Redhawk sporting the 7.5" barel. It is my latest addition to my collection and I grew fond of it right form the first round I put though it.

Even though it IS a Ruger and will handle anything I could ever want to put through it I haven't felt the need to hot rod it. If I want full blwon nitros I can easily fire up the 454.

I did quite a bit of research on what bullets, syles, and loads, preformed well to excellent in this caliber before jumping in over my head and buying up everything .425 for it. What I discovered one evening was the following link,
Welcome to John Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - John's Writings (http://www.customsixguns.com/writings.htm)

After reading through all of the writing I knew darned well I didn't need to load up to temptations door, simply load it the way it should be loaded and go about life putting the smackdown on what ever I chose to.

I like many others have found the 255-270'ish grain bullets to be the most accurate loaded to the mild 850 - 1000fps. If you take the time to go and read through, you will find at the very bottom of the last page a list of loads. You will also probably notice that they are pretty darned close to what is mentioned above, and to what I have also found to be pretty universally true in my 45 as well.

Do yourself a favor and absorb some of the notes and referred to loads in Linbaugh's writings. I don't always agree with what is written by anyone, but I have to say I cannot argue with the truth and that is what I found that info to be.

Hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 45 colt Missouri Bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!