Got a problem with my bolt action. need some advice please

PDA

Blues Brother
December 2, 2012, 09:52 AM
I have a Browning A bolt 7mm and I have not shot the gun in years. ( I know, I know, guns are made for shooting, not hanging on the wall :( ) anyway, just been busy with many other things and I got out of hunting years ago. got into other hobbies, etc... and havent spent any time sport shooting. so I grabbed the gun off the wall and wanted to maybe go out to the range with it. well I was checking it over, and I noticed I could not get the bolt open on it. the bolt will rotate up, but will not slide back. Now I admit its been years since I have shot it, but have I just forgotten how to operate it? or is there a problem with it? Maybe its just operator error. I have tried it with safety on, and off, mag in and removed, and I cant get the bolt slid back so the action is open. any ideas on this? :confused: I would appreciate any help. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a problem with my bolt action. need some advice please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blues Brother
December 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
oh yea, I forgot to add that I also looked at the owner manual and cant seem to find anything there that I am missing.

WNTFW
December 2, 2012, 10:36 AM
First thing is safety. A round could be in the chamber.

A case could be stuck in the chamber. The case could be live or empty. I think plenty of guys here have had to knock the bolt back on a bolt action or semi auto. A piece of wood can be use to tap the bolt. Sometimes a butt stroke to hard ground works while pulling on the bolt.

Again safety is the first priority.

I am not familiar with the Browning enough to advise on any specific aspect of that rifle.

Blues Brother
December 2, 2012, 01:17 PM
Good idea.

Blues Brother
December 2, 2012, 02:51 PM
I got it. I sprayed some WD40 down the barrel and let it sit. it was just gummed up from sitting too long. no round in the chamber either. I checked with a cleaning rod first. its all good now. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a problem with my bolt action. need some advice please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!