Powder Test Results - Advice?

PDA

doc540
December 2, 2012, 01:00 PM
recap: trying to find a heavier bullet for metal silhouettes that's as accurate as the Rem factory .38 +P 125gr SJC HP's.

Even factoring in my limited shooting skills and a low-budget rest, it doesn't appear to me that either of these two powders will work well with 158gr SWC's. :(

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Targets/PowderTest1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Targets/PowderTest2.jpg

Setup
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Targets/TestSetup.jpg

I'm open to any and all feedback.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Test Results - Advice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SHR970
December 2, 2012, 02:45 PM
Considering the group 4.3 gr. W231 looks a lot like the Rem group below it and that the 4.5 gr. charge opened way up, consider dropping the 4.3 charge a 1/10th or two and see what happens.

Also, you are soon the get tons of "Try this powder" advice. Before I would even say go out and buy... I'll ask do you have other powders besides Unique and W231 present to work with? If so what?

Next question; what 158 gr SWC's are you using? Are they Hard Cast or Swaged lead ( Hornady / Speer/ etc)? It does make a difference.

doc540
December 2, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks

Missouri Bullet LSWC 158 gr
Brinell 12

Only have those two powders to work with now.

I can back the Win231 down, but I lose velocity and knock down power.

Remember, I'm trying to find a bullet that will shoot as accurately as the 125 factory ammo and put a whipping on the steel plates.

SHR970
December 2, 2012, 09:44 PM
If you intend to stay with 38 special cases, go to swaged lead or plated bullets. The swaged will generally perform better at the lower pressures of a 38 as they are less sensitive to differences in the cylinder throat / forcing cone size differences as they will obturate more easily than cast. OTOH, a good plated will behave a bit more like a jacketed bullet in that obturation isn't as essential.

Your other option is to load in 357 brass and turn up the throttle a bit. As much as I hate Unique, it will probably work better with the hard cast especially if you go about 1/2 way between the 38+P data and 357 starting. In the 357 brass, 5.4 gr. of W231 will likely get you closer to where you want to be. It's a good all around charge for me with 158 gr. plated and cast in all three of my 357's.

doc540
December 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
thanks for the info

Loaded some Speer 158 grain, JSP's tonight using Win231.

Hope to test them tomorrow.

And today a good friend gave me 150 rounds of .357 brass.

A mild .357 load using the Speer jacketed bullets might just be the ticket.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Test Results - Advice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!