ill effects of tracer T powders on non tracer loads

PDA

beex215
December 2, 2012, 07:04 PM
ive only been reading about the "barrel erosions" if its even true. anybody with first hand experience use the T type powders with regular fmj/ cast?

If you enjoyed reading about "ill effects of tracer T powders on non tracer loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
December 3, 2012, 12:09 AM
I don't use a lot of none canister powders but my buddy uses 100's of pounds of it!

He loads both NATO rounds and uses both WC844 and WC846 in the "plain"and T forms without any adverse effects on any of his barrels. (several AR-15 and AR-10 rifles and some older rifles too)

From what I'm told the tracer powders are mixed slightly differently than the service ammo powders to increase velocities slightly. I don't know if that's true though. I don't think WC844T or WC846T will damage barrels.

BUT, this is only a report from one shooter all be it MANY rounds in a lot of rifles. I still suggest you find out from a lot more shooters and loaders before you use it.

ATCDoktor
December 3, 2012, 12:35 AM
I have burned about 40 pounds of WC844T in the last 3 years and have seen nothing in the way of accelerated barrel wear/erosion.

In short barrels it has significant flash but other than that there have been no adverse effects.

If you enjoyed reading about "ill effects of tracer T powders on non tracer loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!