Help me save my barrel!!

PDA

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 09:36 PM
I dipped my 6" Aftermarket Glock Barrel in cerakote how do I get it off!! I was to cheap too send it to a pro and too lazy to do it properly and the bore has cerakote in it, I can scratch it off on the outside? How do I remove it from the bore?? Help it's been a week?!! I can't buy another barrel!!:what::banghead: :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me save my barrel!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possom813
December 2, 2012, 09:40 PM
I was to cheap to send it to a pro and too lazy to do it properly

That's a bad combination when doing anything.

My only suggestion, and at your own risk, is a a power drill with a wooden dowel wrapped up with some 0000 steel wool. Hope for the best, or this may be an expensive learning session.

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 09:45 PM
No No risky stuff like that

primalmu
December 2, 2012, 09:46 PM
Easy. Buy a new barrel. I would think anything you do to remove the cerakote from the barrel will damage the barrel enough to degrade accuracy.

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 09:48 PM
:mad:Sure except I'm broke!

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
I was just trying to paint the part that extended out and I taped the bore but it fell off and got in the bore too!!!

snakeman
December 2, 2012, 09:51 PM
That sounds terrible! Exactly why I haven't cerakoted my guns! It'll be interesting to see how to get it off of there.

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 09:55 PM
:what::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 09:56 PM
I didn't spray it i dipped it!!

o Unforgiven o
December 2, 2012, 10:00 PM
No No risky stuff like that
No offense, but you dipped your barrel in cerakote without plugging the bore. I think you're already past risky, especially for a solution. Oh, and cheap foam earplugs work great for things like this.

orionengnr
December 2, 2012, 10:01 PM
Did you just get some in the first one inch of the muzzle? It's not like you submerged the barrel in a can of the paint, right? Right?

I would be tempted to put 2" of mineral spirits, paint thinner, acetone or whatever you have in a container, and stick the barrel into the solvent. Leave it overnight (or for 24 hours) to soften the coating.

If that does not loosen it, I'm sure someone who is more familiar with the coating will come along soon.

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
Did you just get some overspray into the muzzle?
It's not like you submerged the barrel in a can of the paint, right? Right?
sort of

firesky101
December 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hmmm.... how thick is cerakote? Perhaps a few rounds down the pipe. I would put it in a rest and pull the trigger with a string. Keep the pressures low.

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hmmm.... how thick is cerakote? Perhaps a few rounds down the pipe. I would put it in a rest and pull the trigger with a string. Keep the pressures low.
It's actually not thick in the bore, I passed a brass brush down the bore a few times and I put a few cleaning patches in the bore when I dipped it but it got in when the tape fell off but its really thin in the bore, but it might blow up If I shoot it.

19-3Ben
December 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
No offense, but you dipped your barrel in cerakote without plugging the bore. I think you're already past risky, especially for a solution.

My thought exactly. If you try Possum's advice, you MAY ruin the barrel. If you leave it as it is, you have DEFINITELY ruined it. I don't know that you have left yourself any good options.
I might try to call up Cerakote tomorrow when they open and ask them if there is anything that can remove it. If they say no, then you might as well try possum's suggestion because... heck, why not? its not like your barrel is useful right now anyway.

gp911
December 2, 2012, 10:09 PM
Nooooo, you dipped a barrel in Cerakote with just a little tape to keep it out of the bore? Oh my... As noted earlier, foam earplugs work well for this. Tape...? I would find a chemical that can strip Cerakote, start there. Good luck on this lesson learned.

ATBackPackin
December 2, 2012, 10:09 PM
I would try soaking it in a GLASS jar of Toluene or heavy duty paint stripper. I am not that familiar with Cerakote, but we use Toluene to remove contact cement. It is a pretty strong solvent. You can buy Toluene in any hardware store.

Good luck.
Shawn

Al Thompson
December 2, 2012, 10:10 PM
OK Ron, first, slow down and help us help you. Breathing is not optional. :cool:

What is the barrel chambered for, caliber wise?

How much of the interior of the barrel is coated? I.E., whole thing, muzzle end only, chamber to muzzle, what?

Talked to the makers of Cerrakote? They may have something to help you out. ;)

rudderusa
December 2, 2012, 10:12 PM
Ron,

I would think Strypeeze (methylene chloride) would dissolve this stuff but I am not positive. Nasty stuff though. Might try some acetone or lacquer thinner also.

RonDeer10mm
December 2, 2012, 10:14 PM
Can paint stripper ruin stainless steel?

btg3
December 2, 2012, 10:19 PM
Acetone is the solvent for cleaning up uncured Cerakote from tools.

Cured Cerakote will corrode in 5% HCl acid, but unsure of removal and possible corrosion of barrel.

Above is from googling.

Best bet is to contact Cerakote for info and possible assistance. Failing that, consult a gunsmith.

Blue68f100
December 2, 2012, 10:31 PM
I used to clean curried epoxy paint from paint guns using Chemitol Carb vat cleaners. We had an a use fail to clean the gun on Friday and Monday every thing was setup hard. This was on industrial phonlic epoxy paints. The Cab cleaner is the only thing that worked and it took 5-7 days to remove it all. Saved us $600 in paint guns. It worked so well we started using it regularly. These are the 3-5gal kits which I do not know are available anymore.

firesky101
December 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
So i have never tried to remove cerakote, did you get any coloring on the brass brush? Perhaps a little elbow grease could solve the problem. I feel like unless Cerakote recommends a safe solvent, you have 2 options. Do this the cheap way, or do it the safe way. The cheap methods come with risks that could mean spending the money anyway. Also the caliber and model in question may provide others with some ideas.

JonathanE
December 2, 2012, 11:10 PM
There was a post here some months back from someone who accidentally stripped Duracoat with carb cleaner.

(I don't know how to properly link to an old thread... I hope this is it...)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=658137&highlight=gun+kote

WardenWolf
December 3, 2012, 12:34 AM
If 5% HCl will do it, that's what you want to use. It won't hurt your barrel any. One important thing to keep in mind is that acids only react with certain materials. A relatively strong and corrosion-resistant material such as stainless steel is not going to be affected by a weak solution of 5% HCl. In fact, virtually any chemical solution is not going to harm it.

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 11:13 AM
I'm giving up, I guess you can call this the $165 dollar lesson!

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 11:14 AM
Mods close this thread. May the barrel r.i.p. :( :uhoh::eek::(

gp911
December 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
If you're just going to pitch it send it to me and I'll try some solvents on it for you, no charge. It's worth trying to save it.

btg3
December 3, 2012, 12:02 PM
I'll give you $10 for the barrel or $155 worth of consulting advice on how to salvage it yourself. ;)

Seriously, if it were me, I'd invest $3 for a can of acetone from Home Depot and let it soak. You haven't cured it with heat, so I'm thinking it's worth a try.

All above posted info for toluene, laquer thinner, etc and what removes Durakote or this-and-that is misleading with regard to the specific chemistry of your issue with Cerakote. Learn to recognize dis-information and ignore it.

Info that is specific to Cerakote is the most likely path to a solution.

Mac's
December 3, 2012, 12:43 PM
Try this: Soak it in Acetone or one of the other solvents suggest here for 24 hours to soften it. None of the solvents listed will damage the barrel but I don't know about acids or paint strippers. Then get a piece of aluminum screen. Cut a circle about 2 inches in diameter. Set up your cleaning rod with a jag that's smaller than what's normally required. In other words: For a 9mm barrel, use an 8 mm jag. Fit the aluminum circle around the head of the jag and push it thru the bore.

You may have to experiment with the proper size jag, add aluminum circles, etc. to get the right thickness. What you're looking for, is for it to require force to get the tool thru the bore but not hydraulic press type force! Just more than for a normal cloth cleaning patch or bore brush.

Use aluminum screen. The metal is softer than the metal of the barrel and won't damage the bore. The old Lewis Lead Remover used this same technique. I have used this technique on bores that were really lead fouled and it works fine for that. This is not for regular cleaning, only those bores that are fouled beyond the capabilities of a bore brush and powder/carbon/lead solvents.

I would NOT shoot it in the condition that it's in. The barrel may be ruined but if a bullet get's stuck in the bore, it may ruin more than just the barrel. (slide, frame, hands, eyes, etc) Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

Bovice
December 3, 2012, 01:30 PM
LOL

It's like a game of clue!

It was RonDeer10mm, in the garage, with a G20 LW barrel!

For dissolving something, all you need is a solvent with similar characteristics. "Like dissolves like". I'm curious why you would want to cerakote a stainless barrel anyway.

Sam1911
December 3, 2012, 02:30 PM
[MOD TALK: Had to delete some things that were just absurdly rude. Try to remember that we're at "THE HIGH ROAD" and respond to each other even more politely than you would in person.]

Ron, there's no need to give up on your barrel. It surely isn't trashed.

Uncured bake-on finishes aren't impossible to remove. The appropriate thinner will help take it off. Why don't you call the company and ask them?

Paint strippers won't hurt stainless steel, and may remove the uncured finish in a flash.

As others have said, some mechanical means may work, or may work with a thinner or stripper to scrub the finish off.

You surely don't have to pay $165 to learn a lesson here. :)

(Oh, and for the record, it was I who stripped off cured DuraCoat with carb cleaner, accidentally, but that's a different story. However, a can of carb cleaner is what, $4? That would certainly be worth a try!)

Jim Watson
December 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
You didn't go ahead and bake it, did you?
If not, probably one or more of the solvents listed will lift the uncured coating and not hurt the barrel.

M-Cameron
December 3, 2012, 03:11 PM
if none of the above techniques help....give this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPzrAfemIE) a try....

essentially you use some VFG pellets coated in JB bore paste and Kriol and scrub the heck out of it.

Al Thompson
December 3, 2012, 03:29 PM
Ron, why is it that you are getting answers and don't appear to be listening? :scrutiny:

Check your PMs.

btg3
December 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
Al, It remains to be seen as to whether the answers prove to be effective solutions. It would take a signficant amount of time and pocket change to put each suggestion here to the test.

Does anyone have an idea as as to how to cut through the ineffective and focus on what has the best potential and highest probabilty to deliver the desired result?

Ron, you have my sympathy for the barrel and the confusing array of home remedies.

And I also would like to apologize to Sam and others that were offended by my deleted remarks that were posted in a moment of frustration.

BBBBill
December 3, 2012, 04:29 PM
From the tone of Ron's posts and particularly his last one, I suspect that he got so frustrated that he threw the barrel in the garbage and has not been back here to read any follow up.

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 07:25 PM
Try this: Soak it in Acetone or one of the other solvents suggest here for 24 hours to soften it. None of the solvents listed will damage the barrel but I don't know about acids or paint strippers. Then get a piece of aluminum screen. Cut a circle about 2 inches in diameter. Set up your cleaning rod with a jag that's smaller than what's normally required. In other words: For a 9mm barrel, use an 8 mm jag. Fit the aluminum circle around the head of the jag and push it thru the bore.

You may have to experiment with the proper size jag, add aluminum circles, etc. to get the right thickness. What you're looking for, is for it to require force to get the tool thru the bore but not hydraulic press type force! Just more than for a normal cloth cleaning patch or bore brush.

Use aluminum screen. The metal is softer than the metal of the barrel and won't damage the bore. The old Lewis Lead Remover used this same technique. I have used this technique on bores that were really lead fouled and it works fine for that. This is not for regular cleaning, only those bores that are fouled beyond the capabilities of a bore brush and powder/carbon/lead solvents.

I would NOT shoot it in the condition that it's in. The barrel may be ruined but if a bullet get's stuck in the bore, it may ruin more than just the barrel. (slide, frame, hands, eyes, etc) Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
The reason I haven't tried acetone or other chemicals is because I soaked it in Hoppes 9 solvent and I'm not sure it it can cause a bad chemical reaction! :what:

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 07:26 PM
Nope, it was a KKM precision. :(

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 07:28 PM
From the tone of Ron's posts and particularly his last one, I suspect that he got so frustrated that he threw the barrel in the garbage and has not been back here to read any follow up.
Nope, I kept it to remind me of what happens when I choose the easy/sloppy way to do things. :eek:

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'm kind of worried, but can't acetone discolor the polymer frame if it gets on it?

RonDeer10mm
December 3, 2012, 07:32 PM
Oh and for the record this Cerakote is the air dry cerakote.

M-Cameron
December 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
Ron, if you clean the barrel with well with warm soapy water between 'treatments', i really wouldnt worry about an adverse chemical reaction.....

also, acetone can damage certain plastics.....but like before, if you clean it well with warm soapy water, you will not have a problem with your frame.

Sam1911
December 3, 2012, 08:08 PM
Wipe the barrel out well (wash it if you want) and there is practically no chance any common solvents are going to react negatively to each other. No worries.

Do keep acetone off your polymer frame, but your barrel isn't polymer, so no worries.

I don't think acetone is going to touch this -- at all -- but there's not much reason not to at least try. Personally, though, I'd try a little carb cleaner first (hey, I had "good" luck with it, though by accident!) and then paint stripper (methylene chloride) after that.

But if it's the air-cure stuff, it may be pretty tenacious. Definitely call them (contact info here: http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/about/). They've probably been asked this question about 1,000,000 times and will know the best fix.

M-Cameron
December 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
can we get some pictures of the barrel and down the bore?

from everything ive been reading, the only way to get ceracoat out off is to beadblast it......

i think the best way to try to fix it would be to let it sit for a week or so in carb cleaner or high strength paint/epoxy stripper......then pour a lead slug down the barrel and try to lap it smooth....

idoono
December 4, 2012, 09:25 PM
Do not use methylene chloride or any chloride compounds on stainless steel. Chlorides can affect stainless. As some have said....talk to Cerekote. They should know how to safely remove the material from the barrel.

Idoono

RonDeer10mm
December 4, 2012, 11:47 PM
Do not use methylene chloride or any chloride compounds on stainless steel. Chlorides can affect stainless. As some have said....talk to Cerekote. They should know how to safely remove the material from the barrel.

Idoono
Is acetone ok to use? They said it was.

paintballdude902
December 5, 2012, 01:09 AM
listen to them.

if u decide to go the carb cleaner route make sure its nonchlorinated (or am i thinking of brake cleaner? been a long day)

this is just me personally.... id check how thick it is and might just shoot it. that is me personally, not telling you to do it.

id try everything from acetone to strippers and even steel wool and a stripper.

M-Cameron
December 5, 2012, 06:53 AM
Is acetone ok to use? They said it was.

yes, acetone is perfectly safe to both the barrel and yourself...

the reason you dont want to use anything with chlorides is because they can actually cause pitting and erosion on metal (even stainless), they can also from some nasty off-gasses when they warm up( through shooting) which can cause serious health problems.

btg3
December 5, 2012, 07:05 AM
yes, acetone is perfectly safe to both the barrel and yourself...

For the love of safety, NO! acetone is not "safe...to yourself" -- read and heed the warnings on the label.

NCJT
December 5, 2012, 09:50 PM
ok i have no dealings with this coating. i have however screwed up alot in my new quest of gunsmithing. so the first rule is to not make things worse. so dont do anything your unsure of if it sounds stupid it probably is. there are smart people on here so just read all the advice and pick out whats useful. here are my suggestions.
1. patience, wait until you have the money to have it properly fixed or replaced.
2. is it so bad it will effect anything the way it is.
3. properly sized brass cleaning brush and time. maybe get it to the point where it will function properly, just look like crap until you can afford to have it properly fixed. or replaced
4.and i learned this from a member on here. call brownells tech support. they are genius
5.call moss pawn in jonesboro ga. ask for ray. he is an awesome gunsmith and does not care to answer your questions, he's helped me out before.

good luck and learn from your mistakes. nothing wrong with not doing things if you dont know how and do a little more research and planning next time. rushing and cutting corners to save cost are the main reasons guns get butchered

M-Cameron
December 5, 2012, 10:54 PM
For the love of safety, NO! acetone is not "safe...to yourself" -- read and heed the warnings on the label.

millions of women everywhere disagree.....as acetone is what nail polish remover is......last i checked, people arent dropping dead.

yeah, if you drink it, or huff the vapors youll probably end up in the hospital....but its not going to kill you if you get it on your skin.

Acetone has been studied extensively and is generally recognized to have low acute and chronic toxicity if ingested and/or inhaled. Inhalation of high concentrations (around 9200 ppm) in the air caused irritation of the throat in humans in as little as 5 minutes. Inhalation of concentrations of 1000 ppm caused irritation of the eyes and of the throat in less than 1 hour; however, the inhalation of 500 ppm of acetone in the air caused no symptoms of irritation in humans even after 2 hours of exposure. Acetone is not currently regarded as a carcinogen, a mutagenic chemical or a concern for chronic neurotoxicity effects.[19]
Acetone can be found as an ingredient in a variety of consumer products ranging from cosmetics to processed and unprocessed foods. Acetone has been rated as a GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) substance when present in beverages, baked foods, desserts, and preserves at concentrations ranging from 5 to 8 mg/L. Additionally, a joint U.S-European study found that acetone’s "health hazards are slight."[citation needed]

acetone is not a carcinogen or a mutagenic.....heck, it is even produced and disposed by the human body through normal metabolic processes.....as far as chemicals go, its relatively safe.

idoono
December 5, 2012, 11:21 PM
Ron, Acetone will not harm the stainless. M-Cameron is correct about one of the common uses of acetone....nail polish remover. get a cheap bottle and give it a try.

Idoono

btg3
December 6, 2012, 01:08 PM
While acetone may not be lethal, it certainly can be unsafe regarding skin exposure. Perhaps it is analogous to being in the sun doesn't cause sunburn, unless there is over exposure. At a younger age, I was indestructible. Now I use sunblock. And with acetone, I use gloves.

M-Cameron
December 6, 2012, 02:56 PM
While acetone may not be lethal, it certainly can be unsafe regarding skin exposure. Perhaps it is analogous to being in the sun doesn't cause sunburn, unless there is over exposure. At a younger age, I was indestructible. Now I use sunblock. And with acetone, I use gloves.

so you mean to tell me women wear gloves to take of nail polish?....seems like that would make things a trifle difficult.

sure, you probably wouldnt want to sit in a bath of acetone......but like i said before, acetone is naturally occurring and the human body knows how to deal with it properly, light exposure wont cause you any health problems.

if you want to wear gloves, thats fine, after all it wont hurt anything.....but dont think that acetone is going to harm you if you get some on your skin.

btg3
December 6, 2012, 07:31 PM
so you mean to tell me women wear gloves to take of nail polish?....
Well actually, you would be credited for that statement.

light exposure wont cause you any health problems.
I do believe that we can agree on this.

hwmoore
December 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
try the finger nail polish first if not that try MEK but use in a well ventilated area and use gloves

Jenrick
December 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
If you only dipped it to cover the part that extended past the muzzle, how about just cutting it down? If you can cut it down to stock length and have the bore clear, sounds like you're a go.

-Jenrick

james nicholson
December 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
According to Brownell's website, air dry cerakote is not fully cured until 5 days later. Also acetone is listed as being the solvent of choice for this material.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me save my barrel!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!