Damaged Buck Knives?

PDA

Lone Star
December 2, 2012, 08:40 PM
I've seen a couple of Bucks on the Net with broken blades and occasionally hear about others. When I can ask what caused the damage, it's almost always from trying to pound the edge through bone when dressihg a deer, etc.

Heard of one that lost about a quarter inch broken off the tip when it stuck in bone and instead of the owner carefully rocking it up and down until it loosened, he gave it a hard twist.

How have your Buck knives held up in use? have you used any to cut small branches for kindling or replcement tent stakes, to make a shelter, etc.?
Done anything else dramatic with them?

I'm referring mainly to Buck's original, traditional line. Model 105, 119, etc.

Mine have done fine, but I don't throw them or try to pound them through hard substances.

I'm really baffled by a Model 119 seen on the Net, which had the blade broken off right in the middle. Just saw a photo, no explanation. :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Damaged Buck Knives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
T Bran
December 2, 2012, 08:45 PM
Often folks mistake a knife for a prybar or a screwdriver. More often than not a broken blade is the result.
Just an observation.
T

PRM
December 2, 2012, 09:09 PM
I have always had great success with the Buck line. Having said that, I will add, I use my knives as cutting tools, not screwdrivers, pry bars or hatchets. Agree with T Bran on folks abusing them. Bucks are made with great steel and are known for holding an edge.

The company is one of the best out there and they really stand behind their products. Several years ago I bought a stag handle custom shop model 110 off of an auction that the previous owner had aggressively buffed the blade. The handles were beautiful, but I was really disappointed with the blade. I contacted the Custom Shop and they replaced the blade with a new one and had the knife back to me in about two weeks for $10.00.

I'm a Buck fan through and through...

theotherwaldo
December 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've only got one broken Buck, and the part that broke was the lock spring. I've never broken a Buck blade.

jimmyraythomason
December 2, 2012, 09:28 PM
I have an old Stockman that I broke the tip trying to remove a glass fuse from my car in 1973. The rivets later broke letting the knife fall apart.

kBob
December 3, 2012, 08:01 AM
When I was less than half my current age I broke the very tip off a buck folder. In the service while enlisted I was in a hurry to remove a drain sump in a shower room and it was wedged in place with sand. I was using the back of the tip to scrape out enough sand to shake the sump bucket loose and put a bit to much pressure sideways.

Popped about a 3/16 inch of the tip right off. Took forever to reshape that sucker.

Fairly recently popped more than half and inch of a spyderco using it to remove fence staples instead of a fence tool. At the time a horse had its foreleg through and back through a feild fence and was a bit excited......$80 knife verses $2000 horse equals spyderco prybar/ fence staple puller/ wire cutter.

Can I get a pass on that last one?

-kBob

Cocked & Locked
December 3, 2012, 08:58 AM
Deer hunting friend of mine temporarily "lost" his old Buck fixed blade (I don't remember model #) several years ago. He had the sheath, just the knife had disappeared.

Sometime later, he opened his upright freezer door to get a pack of venison out. His knife was in the freezer and fell out onto the concrete basement floor.

The blade broke in half. He sent both pieces to Buck and they sent him a new knife.

BCCL
December 3, 2012, 12:06 PM
Odds are, that if a Buck knife breaks, someone was doing something it wasn't intended for. Lot of Bucks here, to many to count, never had one break.

rcmodel
December 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
I know for a fact that at some point in the 80's or 90's, buck changed the way they were making the guards on the 119 and 120 at least.

The guard had always been an aluminum phenolic sandwich slid over the tang before the handle was put on. Then, they changed to casting the guard in place on the blade tang.

I broke two of them taking them apart to remodel them.

In all other bucks I remodeled, I would lay the handle on an anvil and whack the plastic section with a hammer to break it off. Then drill out the pommel pin, and slip it and the guard sandwich off over the tang.

On those two with the cast guard, the handle broke off of the blade right at the guard joint.
Apparently the heat from casting the guard in place over-hardened the tang to the point of being brittle as glass.

I think it was a failed experiment in manufacturing cost cuts, and they switched back to the sandwich loose guard within a year or three due to all the broken knives they were getting back.

rc

DNS
December 4, 2012, 10:36 PM
A friends son broke the tip off a 119 throwing it at a tree in the backyard.
Of course it was all the knifes fault and Scooter was some put out by Bucks quality.:rolleyes:

heeler
December 4, 2012, 11:44 PM
I have a Buck 110 folder I bought in the early 1980's.
It has gutted,skinned,and quartered up literally dozens of deer without any failures what so ever.
That same knife will be with me later this week for the same ritual.
Breakage on these knives come about with use they were not designed for..Abuse in other words.

Sav .250
December 5, 2012, 08:31 AM
Anything is subject to breakage when used improperly. It`s not a "ax" nor a "pry-tool."
I`ve used the Buck 110 folding for years to skin my deer with. Plus,I use a small, folding saw to cut through the pelvic bone. common sense does go a long way toward a happy ending.

If you enjoyed reading about "Damaged Buck Knives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!