Called in a bobcat

PDA

351 WINCHESTER
December 2, 2012, 09:39 PM
My knee was acting up yesterday so I was sitting in the cab of my truck. I got bored so I dug out an old predator call and started blowing and adjusting it to sound like a rabbit in distress. The more I blew the more distressed he got. After about 1/2 hour or so I looked in my rearview mirror and spied something in the road. I rolled out of my truck with my .30-30 and eyeballed a medium sized cat. I debated about shoothing it and, well, I guess I'm getting soft in my old age cause just before the hammer fell I pulled off the shot. I imagine by now he's clear up to South Carolina.

I was fortunate enough to have killed a rather large bob about 6 years ago while deer hunting. I had him mounted and we weighed him on 2 different scales. He was between 42 and 47 lbs. That doesn't matter as neighter scale was calibrated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Called in a bobcat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
December 2, 2012, 10:20 PM
Don't blame ya. I have seen a lot of bobkitties and never shot one. I don't wanna eat it, don't wanna mount it, why shoot it? I don't have goats, nothing to worry about 'em eating. I like 'em, they're cool lookin' cats.

Friend of mine's boy shot one on my place. He had the skin tanned. It was about 30 lbs.

wankerjake
December 2, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool, I love calling in cats. They are neat. They are good eating, very mild flavor. I let the last one I called in though, I couldn't justify killing it. I was about a half hour into a bear stand and it just appeared from behind a small slope at about 20 yards. It stayed there and watched me for about ten minutes. I really tried to find a reason to kill it but couldn't. Pelt was too thin in early August, was only packing a large caliber rifle that would have made a mess of the pelt and meat, didn't want to mess up the bear stand, didn't have a pistol on me that at least would have added to the challenge... couldn't do it. He picked a good time to come to the call. I did go back near that spot a few weeks ago and tried to get him in to 22 hornet range but he didn't come. Odds wouldn't have been in his favor this time:D

jrdolall
December 7, 2012, 01:54 PM
We shoot them on sight but we have plenty of them to spare. Lots of turkeys are eaten around here by cats and they are also happy to take quail. I am pretty sure a bobcat got hold of one of my dogs last year but didn't see the altercation, just the results and the dog took a beating. I have never felt that they bothered the cattle in any way but I guess that is possible.
I called one up a few years ago while turkey hunting ad he scared the crap out of me. Turkey loads do quite nicely on bobcats at 20 yards.

351 WINCHESTER
December 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
About 6 or 7 years ago I was small game hunting after deer season. I found a place in the road that was torn up. I got out and there was all kinds of scratch marks from a cat along with some unusual deer tracks. I walked about 10 or 15 yards into the woods and there was a freshly killed deer and the only meat left was the head. It was a nice size doe and I can only assume that after the cat killed it and ate it's fill the coyotes finished it off. This cat took down a full grown deer in the middle of the road.

Down at my sisters place there are lots and lots of turkey. I have only seen one bobcat and also a panther. There used to be a lot of coyotes too, but I have not seen one in several years nor have I seen any tracks. I know in our neighborhood most of the coons were killed off with the distemper.

jrdolall
December 7, 2012, 07:33 PM
Don't get me on coons or beavers. I trap like crazy and they keep multiplying. Anybody need any beaver pelts? I have trapped 5 since deer season started.

jrdolall
December 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
My last post was prophetic. We went yesterday and checked 4 beaver traps. No beaver but all dams had been rebuilt. 1 of the traps was tripped and empty and the other three had raccoons in them. The beavers just used the dead coons to shore up the dams.

BP Hunter
December 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
DO you eat bobcats? I didn't think it was safe to eat a carnivore predator?

sixgunner455
December 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
People eat bears, mountain lions, and yes, bobcats/lynx.

Ken70
December 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
How do you keep bobcats away? The ones that run around my place like to take a dump on the sisal mats outside each door. Got to be careful to always look before I step. This has been at least 6 times in the last 5 years.

I'm pretty sure it's a bobcat, I see them running down the porch about 10am, it's like they have a schedule.

brnmw
December 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
People eat bears, mountain lions, and yes, bobcats/lynx.

Yup! > although I have never had a desire to shoot one and I have never eaten one for that matter... to me they are cool animals, I am not sure I could ever shoot one unless it was attacking an animal I own. About the only predator I know you can't eat is Polar Bear liver as far as I know. (High levels of Vitamin A I think.)

Patocazador
December 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
Yup! > although I have never had a desire to shoot one and I have never eaten one for that matter... to me they are cool animals, I am not sure I could ever shoot one unless it was attacking an animal I own. About the only predator I know you can't eat is Polar Bear liver as far as I know. (High levels of Vitamin A I think.)
Arctic explorers who were marooned when they got their ships icebound often died from eating polar bears. The liver is toxic because of very high concentrations of vitamin A and they got trichinosis from eating uncooked polar bear meat (no wood for making fires unless they burnt parts of their ship).

sixgunner455
December 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
Eat uncooked meat from any bear, and you're risking trichinosis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Called in a bobcat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!