Sunday Night Football anti-gun sermon

PDA

MaterDei
December 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
Bob just used the terrible incident in K.C. as an excuse to go on an anti-gun rant during the halftime show of the Sunday Night Football game. He specifically blamed our 'gun culture' for what happened.

Sickening.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sunday Night Football anti-gun sermon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IdealFugacity
December 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
I was already commenting in a text to a friend how pretentious his script was before it suddenly took a hard left into anti-gun rant. Wow. That was awful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

larryh1108
December 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
So, I am watching Sunday Night Football and it is halftime. They discuss the tragedy of the KC player who killed his girlfriend and then himself Saturday. A tragedy we'll never understand. All of our thoughts go out to all the people affected by this tragedy.

To sum up the sermon after the remarks from the coach and players, the analyst preached how being able to own a handgun was a huge reason this tragedy occured. He stated, simply, that if he was not able to own a handgun, there would have been no murder and suicide. He said that. Now, I was appalled that they aired this soap box sermon on the show. We all know that if he wanted to end her life as well as his own, he could have chosen any number of ways to do it. They painted the gun as being the evil, not the shooter. I'm in shock.

Anyone else see it and have a comment? I'm speechless.

Lostaviator
December 2, 2012, 10:12 PM
Just saw that. I'm not surprised at all. It is NBC.

TurkeyOak
December 2, 2012, 10:14 PM
A boy just shot his dad who was a professor at Casper College. He used a bow & arrow, then stabbed him, then killed himself with the knife.
Earlier he stabbed his dad's girl friend too death.
3 lives lost, 0 handguns.

beatledog7
December 2, 2012, 10:17 PM
Not a shocker at all. I wonder if Bob Costas owns a handgun.

Brief quote as posted on Democratic Underground:

"Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it."

No mention of the fact that 99.9% of handgun owners don't fit this description.

leapfrog
December 2, 2012, 10:19 PM
was just going to post on that, how can that dweeb say if Jovan Belcher didn't have a HANDGUN he and his girlfriend would still be alive?
But then again it is NBC.
But the point is the clown used a show that will get more attention than if it was just a regular news show.

TurkeyOak
December 2, 2012, 10:20 PM
Meanwhile in Wyoming a kid shot his professor dad at Casper College with a bow & arrow. He finished him off with a knife, then killed himself with the knife.
Earlier he stabbed his dad's girlfriend to death.
3 deaths, 0 handguns.

Warp
December 2, 2012, 10:22 PM
A boy just shot his dad who was a professor at Casper College. He used a bow & arrow, then stabbed him, then killed himself with the knife.
Earlier he stabbed his dad's girl friend too death.
3 lives lost, 0 handguns.

You can't use reason, logic, or facts on liberals. They will not accept it.

buddyemily
December 2, 2012, 10:22 PM
Stupidity knows no limits. Way to go Bob!!

DJW
December 2, 2012, 10:29 PM
I also heard the rant. Seems like everyone in the media is an "expert" on human behavior and what is "good" for us. I am sick of these self -appointed experts preaching to us. Apparently it is very "chic" and "in" these days to be anti-firearms. Having owned and used firearms for over 50 years without ever harming anyone I find it offensive to hear a crackpot voice his dribble over the tv like he somehow knows something. Plenty of room for him in some other country where people have no rights. He needs to leave and will not be missed.

larryh1108
December 2, 2012, 10:31 PM
I just went to the NBC site and wrote them that Costas needs to be fired or they will lose a 57 year old consumer with money to spend on their advertisers if that's the stance NBC takes. If everyone here goes to NBC.com and goes to contact us and sends a letter of complaint, maybe Costas will be forced to eat his words on TV and then be fired. That was as bad as anything I've heard on a prime time program. Saying the gun was the evil was totally out of line. He should be humiliated and then fired.

readyeddy
December 2, 2012, 10:32 PM
Who needs Costas or the NFL?

gunnutery
December 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
Sounds like a letter/email campaign is in order to NBC.

ATBackPackin
December 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
Absolutey, I am in. I turned the game off as soon as I heard him start quoting Jason Whitlock.

Fishslayer
December 2, 2012, 10:37 PM
I USED to be a Costas fan...:(

needmorecowbell
December 2, 2012, 10:37 PM
I was just going to start a thread too. What an idiotic comment by Costas. So convenient how these liberals never report on all the cases where guns are used to save lives in self defense. Maybe if Belcher's girlfriend had her ccw she'd be alive today..... Who knows? (Not blaming her of course ).

larryh1108
December 2, 2012, 10:39 PM
He USED this tragedy to voice his own agenda. He USED NBC to deliver it. He should be fired and publically humiliated.

maskedman504
December 2, 2012, 10:41 PM
As a KC resident, I find the incident very upsetting.

He thanked the General Manager and Romeo Crennel for giving him an opportunity before taking his life in front of them.

This young man must have been deeply troubled and somehow, he has slipped through the cracks. This was an unnecessary loss of human lives.

Although I disagree with the message conveyed at the half time show, I am not sure how ranting about it on THR is at all productive.

He left a 3 month old child behind that will never know her parents.

Upstater
December 2, 2012, 10:42 PM
I just sent my letter, that was totally horrendous and misuse of his position and he should at least be forced to apologize to the public for this unacceptable behavior.

needmorecowbell
December 2, 2012, 10:48 PM
Brady Quinn was so dead on in his post game comments. It's a shame that everyone is so socially inept due to modern technology and staring at a screen all day that we don't even recognize that someone close to us has a problem. Think about that Costas.

JBrady555
December 2, 2012, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the current administration doesn't make an official statement similar to costas and jason whitlock to start stirring the pot.

DWFan
December 2, 2012, 10:49 PM
The concept that a human being determined to commit murder and suicide won't use any means necessary to accomplish their goal is a symptom of an inability to accept reality. Insanity is defined as the inability to accept reality.
Thank you Bob Costas for proving to the world that you are mentally ill.

bldsmith
December 2, 2012, 10:56 PM
Heard the Rant and promptly changed the channel. I enjoy football but will no longer watch it on NBC. I will be writing to the NFL regarding this also. It will probably fall on deaf ears but I don't care. It was a tragedy that a man decided to end his life and also took the life of his GF. They mentioned nothing of the 2+ million lives saved or situations defused at minimum each year by gun owners. Until we stop blaming the tool rather than the perpetrator they will not learn. :fire:

jas1140
December 2, 2012, 10:57 PM
Dear Bob Costas,
It’s been said many times before but I’ll say it again; matches don’t make people burn down houses, pencils don’t make you misspell words, just the same way owning a gun doesn’t makes you kill people. Just because you own a gun it doesn’t make you a killer, in fact most people who own guns LEGALLY are law abiding, upstanding, and productive members of our society. It’s a shame that the anti-gun movement does not realize that gun control is not the answer castration is.

Sergei Mosin
December 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
A football announcer complaining about violence. Bob Costas, your paycheck depends on organized violence. You make your living on the backs of young men who destroy their bodies and their minds for the sake of entertainment. How dare you preach about violence!

Jovan Belcher is a murderer who took the coward's way out. The real victims here are Kasandra Perkins and her daughter Zoey.

MaterDei
December 2, 2012, 10:59 PM
I'd like to be able to send an email but can't find a contact email. Could somebody please post a good email to use?

Thanks.

beatledog7
December 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
I for one am still watching the game. Costas' commentary is way off base, but it won't make me not watch football.

Petition to get Costas fired? Why would NBC execs want to fire or rebuff one of its employees for delivering a message they support?

Weevil
December 2, 2012, 11:11 PM
Get used to it guys.

Obama siad in the debates he was gonna go after guns and specifically mentioned handguns.

His propaganda machine in the MSM is gonna play up any and every tragedy that involves a gun and especially handguns. They're priming the pump for their new AWB and will be working hard to influence public opinion against freedom and trying to scare them into believing guns are the root of all evil, and gun rights must be restricted and their ownership by the people eventually banned.

CookeMonster
December 2, 2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48780726
This is where I went to post my complaint. Not sure if it's the right place or not and am less sure that they'll care, but I also changed the channel immediately and won't turn them back on without an apology from Costas.

bldsmith
December 2, 2012, 11:23 PM
Left a comment at NBC and copied it to the NFL Will not watch NBC football until retracted.

larryh1108
December 2, 2012, 11:26 PM
nbc.com
scroll to the bottom and hit "contact us"
Then tell them what you think

beatledog7
December 2, 2012, 11:26 PM
There will be no retraction from NBC or Costas. It's the corporate line.

ApplePie
December 2, 2012, 11:28 PM
Watching an NFL game tonight, I just saw Bob Costas politicize the Jovan Belcher murder and suicide. Basically, he said that if Jovan Belcher did not have a gun, he and his girlfriend would still be alive. Costas blamed the "gun culture".

Here is a link to the video of Costas attacking gun ownership:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYDLfD1O2s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here are some e-mail addresses if you would like to send your comments to some executives at NBC Universal:

Brian Steel
Senior Vice President, Public Relations, CNBC
brian.steel@nbcuni.com

Greg Hughes
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications
NBC Sports Group
greg.hughes@nbcuni.com

Adam Miller, Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs
adam.miller@nbcuni.com

John Kelley
Senior Vice President, Pro-Social and Diversity Initiatives
john.kelley@nbcuni.com

kbbailey
December 2, 2012, 11:28 PM

I already sent mine before I saw this thread. I agree.

MaterDei
December 2, 2012, 11:31 PM
Jovan Belcher is a murderer who took the coward's way out. The real victims here are Kasandra Perkins and her daughter Zoey.

Well said.

icanthitabarn
December 2, 2012, 11:41 PM
I promise to never watch football again until he resigns ;) I will also stop watching basketball this summer as well. :rolleyes:

r1derbike
December 2, 2012, 11:42 PM
However, Bob's comments are based on ignorance and blatant stupidity. If NBC's line is echoed in Bob's comments, they, as well, are ignorant and blatantly stupid.

NBC is no longer on my pocket book's preferred list.

Such arrogance is beyond belief.

Warp
December 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
Really though, NBC shouldn't have been on your pocket book's preferred list anyway.

bensdad
December 2, 2012, 11:50 PM
NBC won't care about your opinions, but their advertisers might:

McDonald's number: 1-800-244-6227
Sears: 1-800-549-4505
Nissan: 800-647-7261
Toyota: 800-331-4331

Let them know how you feel about it.

kbbailey
December 2, 2012, 11:58 PM
Another example of the media not allowing a good tragedy go to waste, and using it to promote their agenda.

Dr.Rob
December 3, 2012, 12:51 AM
They didn't take a moment to talk about domestic violence? Which really seems to be the problem.

Neverwinter
December 3, 2012, 01:01 AM
They didn't take a moment to talk about domestic violence? Which really seems to be the problem.
Dealing with the symptoms is often simpler than solving the problem.

DammitBoy
December 3, 2012, 01:03 AM
Watching an NFL game tonight, I just saw Bob Costas politicize the Jovan Belcher murder and suicide. Basically, he said that if Jovan Belcher did not have a gun, he and his girlfriend would still be alive. Costas blamed the "gun culture".

Here is a link to the video of Costas attacking gun ownership:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqYDLfD1O2s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here are some e-mail addresses if you would like to send your comments to some executives at NBC Universal:

Brian Steel
Senior Vice President, Public Relations, CNBC
brian.steel@nbcuni.com

Greg Hughes
NBC Sports Group
greg.hughes@nbcuni.com

Adam Miller, Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs
adam.miller@nbcuni.com

John Kelley
Senior Vice President, Pro-Social and Diversity Initiatives
john.kelley@nbcuni.com

emails sent!

hso
December 3, 2012, 01:04 AM
Costas was keying off of the Fox News Whitlock article (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112) that took the anti 2A stance below -
I would argue that your rationalizations speak to how numb we are in this society to gun violence and murder. We’ve come to accept our insanity. We’d prefer to avoid seriously reflecting upon the absurdity of the prevailing notion that the second amendment somehow enhances our liberty rather than threatens it.

How many young people have to die senselessly? How many lives have to be ruined before we realize the right to bear arms doesn’t protect us from a government equipped with stealth bombers, predator drones, tanks and nuclear weapons?

Our current gun culture simply ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenage boys bloodied and dead.

In the coming days, Belcher’s actions will be analyzed through the lens of concussions and head injuries. Who knows? Maybe brain damage triggered his violent overreaction to a fight with his girlfriend. What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

IN MEMORIAM
We remember those who have died in the sports world in 2012.
That is the message I wish Chiefs players, professional athletes and all of us would focus on Sunday and moving forward. Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.

But we won’t. We’ll watch Sunday’s game and comfort ourselves with the false belief we’re incapable of the wickedness that exploded inside Jovan Belcher Saturday morning.

Inebriated
December 3, 2012, 01:11 AM
I will never understand how somebody can blame guns for people being piss-poor individuals.

Gonna try and get some folks to send some letters/emails.

gunnutery
December 3, 2012, 01:17 AM
Brady Quinn was so dead on in his post game comments. It's a shame that everyone is so socially inept due to modern technology and staring at a screen all day that we don't even recognize that someone close to us has a problem. Think about that Costas.

What did he say, or is it in the quoted text?

I haven't had any time to watch football this season. I've also always been a Costas fan, but he's given me reason to re-examine that.

hso
December 3, 2012, 01:19 AM
Whitlock and Costas both took a cheap political stance and completely ignored the cause of the murder. They tossed the tragedy of domestic violence aside to push their personal political agenda.
Where's the outcry against abuse and violence in these relationships? Why didn't they use their national forum to direct attention to that?
Where's the complaint that these young men aren't helped to develop the maturity and life skills of a responsible adult who doesn't hit off the field and certainly doesn't murder?
Where's the outrage at a profession that continues on with a scheduled game before the bodies have reached room temperature? How can they think the players can perform? How is the greed and avarice of the NFL and coaches/owner to be rewarded?

stickhauler
December 3, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'd wager a good number here are just like me, a veteran of our military. In the course of our service to our county, we went to defend the right of ALL Americans to speak their mind, no matter how ignorant they sound to us, or if we agreed with their opinions.

This is yet another case of an American (2 in fact, given that Costas more or less parroted the comments of Whitlock) speaking their mind.

I don't have to like their message, and I reserve the right to turn the channel when he comes on screen. That said, I will not cease watching NFL Football, nor will I call on his employer to end his employment.

Why? Because we've witnessed too many instances where people got fired for doing exactly the same thing, yet we agreed with their point of view. In my opinion, those fired who stated points of view similar to mine got fired for no reason other than people didn't agree with their opinion. Two wrongs do not make a "right."

I returned from Vietnam, after serving my country, believing I was doing what was right. I got spit on by a young lady who quickly followed that up with the slam "Baby killer!" Did it make me angry? Sure. Did I react to her abuse? No, because I was taught that you don't retaliate against a woman. But I had gone to serve to insure that this young lady had the right to say any stupid thing she wanted to say. That's America.

Bovice
December 3, 2012, 02:07 AM
I don't follow professional sports and never have. Spectators who act like they have a personal stake in the outcome of the game turned me off of it. I suppose they just need something to belong to.

I don't really care what they say, the "general public" is already against the "gun culture". I'm not worried about what they say. I wanna know what they're gonna do about it. After all, we are the proverbial "man with a gun". Armed men are free men. Words are just that. Words. But if you want to email NBC, Congress, etc then go for it.

stickhauler
December 3, 2012, 02:09 AM
I'd disagree, the latest poll numbers I've seen on public perception of firearms, and firearm ownership is much better than at any time in my life.

gunnutery
December 3, 2012, 02:21 AM
the "general public" is already against the "gun culture".

I think only the loudest liberals are really countering against the "gun culture." The ignorant masses that still expect some form of government to protect them in their day to day tasks are having to re-evaluate due to all the violence in the news (even in the strictest states such as CA and NY and NJ). Public perception of guns is rapidly changing in our favor. FBI background check numbers have increased greatly and reportedly made them shut down at some point recently due to the high volume.

It's kind of funny, considering that as anti-gun the media has been, yet their need to cover gory violence has completely backfired on them to the point of people arming themselves because of all the crazies out there that will kill for seemingly no reason at all.

lx2008
December 3, 2012, 05:17 AM
does anybody know how to get a direct email to mr. costas or nbc? i mean a direct route, not some flunky aide or secretary. i would like to respond to last nights anti-gun rant. its no surprise to me. its nbc. between them and the rest of the liberal tv outlets if obama stops short, they would fly strait up obamas ass.

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2012, 06:48 AM
800 people were beaten or kicked to death in the U.S. in 2010. Over 700 for 2011. So we are to believe that a football player could not kill a woman with his brute strength?

Motive is the most important thing. We need to examine why Alpha males in failed relationships kill their partners then themselves.

I will repeat this wherever whenever I think it is appropriate: Criminologist Marvin Wolfgang hated guns. He stated if he were Mustapha Mond, dictator of the world in Huxley's "Brave New World" he would ban all guns from the civilian population and most of the police.

He also studied hundreds of real murder cases.

"More than the availability of a shooting weapon is involved in homicide. Pistols and revolvers are not difficult to purchase (on the street) ... The type of weapon used appears to be, in part, the culmination of assault intentions or events and is only superficially related to causality. To measure quantitatively the effect of the presence of firearms on the homicide rate would require knowing the number and type of homicides that would not have occurred had not the offender_ or, in some cases, the victim_ possessed a gun. Research would require determination of the number of shootings that would have been stabbings, beatings, or some other method of inflicting death had no gun been available. It is the contention of this observer that few homicides due to shootings could be avoided merely if a firearm were not immediately present, and that the offender would select some other weapon to achieve the same destructive goal. Probably only in those cases where a felon kills a police officer, or vice versa, would homicide be avoided in the absence of a firearm." M. WOLFGANG, PATTERNS IN CRIMINAL HOMICIDE 82-83 (1958). (my emphasis added)

Details. Wolfgang studied the homicide files of the Philadelphia Police Homicide Squad, 588 criminal himicides (588 victims, 621 offenders, years 1948-1952) and his study was published 1958 (U PA, Oxford U and John Wiley). During part of the study Wolfgang rode with the homicide squad; he was sitting in the homicide squad one night and a murderer walked in and surrendered to him and confessed. Of 550 known victim-offender relationships 65% were close friend, family member, lover, homosexual partner, etc.

Side issue: "Pistols and revolvers are not difficult to purchase (on the street)" and that was 1950s Philadelphia. My experience has been that casual or criminal sales of guns (often stolen) were common among hoods in my neighborhood in the 1950s and 1960s. If anything, the federal gun laws starting with the 1968 Gun Control Act have strengthened the black market while making hoops for the lawabiding to jump through.

friscolatchi
December 3, 2012, 07:07 AM
I think that Costas, whoever he is, should be talking about football and the multiple concussions that this anger ridden, unable to forgive, over paid, self centered individual "suffered" from. I say ban football. Mr Costas exhibits the credo of the day - "Never let a crisis go to waste".

They, the anti's, would have you think that there weren't murders, or fewer, before someone figured that gunpowder, a projectile and a tube can be use as a weapon.

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2012, 07:23 AM
the "general public" is already against the "gun culture".

In the 1950s the Gallup Poll showed 75% public support for banning handguns.
In the 2010s the Gallup Poll showed 25% public support for banning handguns.

Added:
To me "gun culture" means a lot of things: individual responsibility, self respect and defense of rights, respect for rights of others and defense of same, hunting and outdoor sports, target shooting as a skill, civilian marksmanship practice to promote national defense, the history of gun design and use by military and law enforcement, and giving the weak or out-numbered the means to defend against the thugs and the gangs.

The anti-gunners want to define "gun culture" as nothing but hideous negativities. I think the football commentator is projecting, though, all the hideous negativity associated with football culture on gun owners.

Walkalong
December 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
If enough people call, email, & write in, maybe, just maybe, they will discourage such rants in the future. Otherwise nothing will change. After all, numbers of viewers is big business. Very big. Let them know millions of law abiding gun owners watch SNF, and did not appreciate the anti gun rant.

Carl N. Brown
December 3, 2012, 07:38 AM
stickhauler #49

Thanks for the reminder. Soldiers oath, support and defend the Constitution, means support and defend the rights of all, even those we disagree with.

powell&hyde
December 3, 2012, 07:58 AM
E-mail sent, after his remark I switched channels and fired off an email last night.

jmr40
December 3, 2012, 08:01 AM
To be fair, Costas was quoting Jason Whitlock who wrote this article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

Whitlock works for Fox. NBC shouldn't get all the blame.

brnmw
December 3, 2012, 08:18 AM
Just like we have a 2nd Amendment to gun rights he has a freedom of speech but,..... "NOT VERY SMART!":scrutiny: I wonder just how many freedom loving football loving red blooded Americans have just boycotted NBC & Costas and his socialistic views.:D Just because you have a right to free speech does not necessarily mean you "Should" say it. If it were my network, and I had no idea what he was planning to say, I would have reprimanded him for bad publicity and bad judgment on his part you are there to commentate football not political policy on national TV... but this is NBC, no doubt they are probably giving him a raise! :fire:

HOOfan_1
December 3, 2012, 08:26 AM
I find this much more offensive than the Janet Jackson half time incident....NBC should force him to apologize.

Trent
December 3, 2012, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOi7If0zW9s

Costas said "... Whitlock, with whom I do not always agree but who today said it so well that today, we may as well just quote or paraphrase from the end of his article."

brnmw
December 3, 2012, 08:41 AM
Just for the record... There are already petitions being started on Facebook against Bob Costas for this incident, if you are interested in that sort of thing. FYI. :)

Air,Land&Sea
December 3, 2012, 08:42 AM
bob.costas@nbcuni.com :

Dear Mr. Costas:
Your view on firearms is well intentioned, but it's not the firearm. If we suddenly outlawed firearms there'd be a black market the likes of which we've never seen. Also, crimes with knives and baseball bats would go through the roof and law-abiding citizens would be rendered defenseless since we'd be the only ones obeying the law.
The answers that we all seek go way beyond an inanimate object, but that's a whole other discussion that I'll maybe resume if I run for Congress.
Thanks and best wishes.
Sincerely,

jmorris
December 3, 2012, 08:44 AM
What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

Guess we should get rid of dogs too and Vick wouldn't be a felon...

hso
December 3, 2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w264tNEcqRw#t=262s

Much better insight from KC's young quarterback than Mr. Costas showed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w264tNEcqRw#t=262s

Lawdawg45
December 3, 2012, 09:14 AM
Mr. Costas was recently here in Indianapolis for a broadcast of our Colts game. What our little midget hypocrite fails to mention in his uninformed rant is the fact that he was/is/will be guarded by layers of armed Police Officers at every appearance. He also assumes that a 230 lb professional football player would be unable to kill his 130 lb girlfriend with his bare hands, let alone a knife, brick or fireplace poker. Same old ignorant misguided rant from the left.:cuss:

After thought. Since Bob has equated all the ills of society on handguns, shouldn't we remove his multiple armed guards and allow the general public access to our friend without the presence of evil weapons? Trust me, none of my fellow Officers enjoy guarding this arrogant as* with a severe case of short man's syndrome.
LD

HOOfan_1
December 3, 2012, 09:17 AM
Why? Because we've witnessed too many instances where people got fired for doing exactly the same thing, yet we agreed with their point of view. In my opinion, those fired who stated points of view similar to mine got fired for no reason other than people didn't agree with their opinion. Two wrongs do not make a "right."

Except for the fact that Costas is representing NBC. If him voicing his thoughts harms his employer...they have every right to fire him.

The First Amendment protects him from the Government, not from his employer. Just like The First Amendment doesn't protect us from the moderators on this board.

Pilot
December 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
^^^^^^^This.

The First Amendment does not protect your from the private company that employs you. Saying stupid stuff has consequences. It had not place in a venue of entertainment. I don't want to hear politics, I want to hear football commentary. I can't believe anything Costas says anymore and will not watch him nor NBC, and I have let them know that.

Neo-Luddite
December 3, 2012, 09:38 AM
OK--so how can we Zumbo this monkey?

HOOfan_1
December 3, 2012, 09:47 AM
^^^^^^^This.

The First Amendment does not protect your from the private company that employs you. Saying stupid stuff has consequences. It had not place in a venue of entertainment. I don't want to hear politics, I want to hear football commentary. I can't believe anything Costas says anymore and will not watch him nor NBC, and I have let them know that.

I don't think Costas should be fired if he was expressing his opionions on his own time....although still NBC would be within their rights. But, Costas used NBC to express his opinion. He was representing NBC, but for all I know, NBC might even have pre approved his rant.

BoilerUP
December 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
Don't care what Costas or Whitlock think, they are entitled to their opinions...no matter how misguided or naive they are.

Less Costas, more Faith Hill on SNF!

Pilot
December 3, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not saying Costas should be fired, just that it is well within NBC's rights. However, I do think he should be made to retract his statement. We are watching footbal, not MSNBC. He should stick to football commentary not politics.

Tim the student
December 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but is there a fairly comprehensive list of advertisers we can write to?

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 10:21 AM
Its nice to see alot of internet articles this morning sharing our opinions on costas. At least the whole country hasn't gone mad yet.

Pilot
December 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
I just heard another sports commentator, Jim Gray, on Fox News agreeing with Costas. Their argument is no gun available means no murder or suicide. What about a kitchen knife, hammer, baseball bat, or his bare hands? Just because a gun is not present doesn't mean a murder can't happen. Plus to commit suicide he could have driven his car into a wall, or done it other ways.

22-rimfire
December 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
I will turn off a NBC broadcast if Bob Costas is involved in any way.

Bovice
December 3, 2012, 10:36 AM
The general public might be responding favorably to polls, but when it's time to vote for elected officials....

Not so supportive!

Dain Bramage
December 3, 2012, 10:39 AM
Saw this on the internet: guy said he could refute the whole line of argument with two letters. Not two words, two letters.

"O" and "J".

ApplePie
December 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
does anybody know how to get a direct email to mr. costas or nbc? i mean a direct route, not some flunky aide or secretary.

lx2008: See post #34, where I give you the e-mail addresses for 4 NBC executives.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 3, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gunnutery, you are correct. Many liberals own and carry guns. It isn't liberals, it is the "anti's" that is the problem. While fewer in numbers, there are still some in the conservative side. If my memory serves me correctly H.R. 6257 was proposed and supported by 4 conservatives, it never made it past committee. Anti's like Costas ruin events like this by putting personal opinion into things. It saddens me this happened, but a firearm is not to blame. I do encourage everyone to email NBC, about his remarks. In a calm level headed way, explain how his opinion can hurt their viewer numbers.

GEM
December 3, 2012, 11:48 AM
The best insidious take on it is a PR attempt to deflect from college and pro football exploiting young men for their own financial gains. Starting in HS, then college and then the PROs - these men are used as financial instruments. They are for the most part poorly educated and socialized. They suffer from serious neural injuries with little real support on how to deal with the world before their usefulness as an entertainer is over.

Then they fail in life. So to divert from this exploitation, we blame the firearm as causal.

Unfortunately, most of these young men don't have the family support or honest other advisers to avoid the exploitation. They are just seen as cash cows by their families, schools and pro teams.

hso
December 3, 2012, 11:52 AM
I just heard another sports commentator, Jim Gray, on Fox News agreeing with Costas.

Fox hasn't been the supporter of the 2A the Fox fans like to claim. Here's just another example. Costas didn't start this, it started on Fox and he picked it up.

XD 45acp
December 3, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hey Costas, would it make ya feel any better if he'd have thrown her ass out of a window?

mavracer
December 3, 2012, 12:15 PM
The best insidious take on it is a PR attempt to deflect from college and pro football exploiting young men for their own financial gains. Starting in HS, then college and then the PROs - these men are used as financial instruments. They are for the most part poorly educated and socialized. They suffer from serious neural injuries with little real support on how to deal with the world before their usefulness as an entertainer is over.

Then they fail in life. So to divert from this exploitation, we blame the firearm as causal.
Very well put. this is the biggest reason to hit these guy's with some cold hard reality thet they are more of the problem than the tool.

HOOfan_1
December 3, 2012, 12:21 PM
Fox hasn't been the supporter of the 2A the Fox fans like to claim. Here's just another example. Costas didn't start this, it started on Fox and he picked it up.

Right, didn't Bill O'Reilly come out for stricter gun control after the Aurora, CO shootings?

rvanpelt
December 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
Shame on you Bob Costas! :fire: I thought you were smarter than this.

I would be interested in knowing stats of other methods of suicide here in the U.S. I would bet more people overdose on drugs, or hang themselves than using a gun.

This is like blaming spoons for being obese. :banghead:

Also, I think more kids drown in family owned swimming pools than accidentally shoot another child with the family gun.
Just my 2 cents worth and you can keep the change.;)
Rod van Pelt

bobbo
December 3, 2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah, you guys can stick the "stupid liberal can't understand logic" lines where the sun doesn't shine. I'm a registered Democrat, a bleeding-heart liberal and only dropped my NRA membership after they endorsed an AWB-signing governor for president (who would have flip-flopped again if an AWB came up). I'm a CCW, a target shooter, a Class 3 C&R FFL, a hunter and a friend of gun shop owners (who like me because I buy stuff). All this kind of talk does is make people like me (or who could be like me) write you off.

This is what I posted on Facebook last night:
"Thank you, Bob Costas, for instead of talking about the danger of depression or the connection between traumatic brain injuries and suicide (like a ****load of other NFL players in recent years), you go call for gun control for someone who, under absolutely any current law in ANY state (and most foreign countries, BTW), could have gotten a firearm. It can't be depression, or horrible safety standards, or lack of care, but the gun which did it.

Jovan Belcher couldn't have pummeled his girlfriend to death (it's not like he was 6'2", 225 pounds of all muscle and a pro linebacker or anything) or stabbed her, or run her over with a car, but ONLY shot her. He couldn't have driven into a bridge abutment at 100 mph, or jumped off the upper deck at Arrowhead Stadium, but ONLY have shot himself.

Several members of my family have committed suicide. Most by gun back through the years. Guess what? It wasn't the gun that did it. It was them.

Go **** yourself, Costas."

IMHO, this isn't a "gun" tragedy (whatever the heck that is supposed to be). It's a lot of things, but not a "gun" tragedy.

krupparms
December 3, 2012, 01:11 PM
The propaganda put out by the anti's should not surprise us! They will repeat it over &over again just as they have been taught. They know the value of these lies! As they know they are in a war to tke our guns & freedom. This go's higher than just NBC! This is going to take place any &every chance they get! That is why we must counter it with the truth &let them know we will repeat the truth again &again each &every chance we get! Use their own mistakes to tell people the truth. Bob's rant on TV is a good place to start! Just a thought.

Skribs
December 3, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wow, I'm glad I don't watch pro sports, so I don't have to watch people abuse their power like this.

MachIVshooter
December 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
I would be interested in knowing stats of other methods of suicide here in the U.S. I would bet more people overdose on drugs, or hang themselves than using a gun.

Google it. The info is out there.

Firearms are the most often used method in successful suicides. However, plenty of people hang themselves, close the garage with the car running, overdose, jump off bridges, etc.

I suspect the reason most choose firearms is the instantaneous finality of it. With many methods, you have time to change your mind after starting the act (though you may suffer permanent damage from it). With a firearm, you need only a split second of the conviction to get the job done, and there's no turning back. There are very few "attempted" firearm suicides.

DammitBoy
December 3, 2012, 01:38 PM
Shame on you Bob Costas! :fire: I thought you were smarter than this.

I don't blame Bob for his comments. I blame his microphone... :banghead:

RobNDenver
December 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
Here is what I sent to them today "Mr Costas assertion that there would have been no Murder/Suicide in Kansas City is poppycock. If Mr. Belcher’s intent was to kill his girlfriend and then take his own life, there are dozens of methods that he could have used, had he not had a firearm. As a matter of fact, the wider distribution of guns in the hands of law abiding citizens has paralleled the reduction in violent crime and has been studied by a number of public policy and public health experts. Many of the studies in the field have hypothesized that More Guns mean Less Crime and improved self protection by American citizens.

Please stick to the facts in subjects that Mr. Costas and NBC Sports have no knowledge in.

3twelves
December 3, 2012, 02:02 PM
Lets just ignore the fact the guy had a alcohol problem...

fu bob and fu NBC

yes mad

rvanpelt
December 3, 2012, 02:07 PM
That is a good one, DammitBoy...lol Suppose Bob will agree??
Shouldn't he also say the same about the automobile that kills over 30,000 people per yr. in the U.S.???:banghead:
Rod van Pelt

jmace57
December 3, 2012, 02:14 PM
Nice one dammitboy!

Skribs
December 3, 2012, 02:14 PM
I don't blame Bob for his comments. I blame his microphone...

But the microphone is just a tool he used to do something we consider abhorrent. We should blame the conscious decision of the user instead of the tool.

Oh wait...I see what you did there...

Joseywales3
December 3, 2012, 02:16 PM
Things to consider:

1 - NBC and the NFL must have supported Bob, or he'd have been cut off immediately. If he were naked how long would he have been on the air? NBC and the NFL back him 100%. Don't stop watching Bob, stsop watching NBC and the NFL. Stop buying their products.

2 - In the begining of the 2012 season, the NFL commissioner publicly stated he had two goals:

A) - Reduce DUIs among NFL players

B) - Reduce domestic violence among NFL players and their families.

Now why would these be his goals, unless both statistics were well above the national average???

youngda9
December 3, 2012, 02:19 PM
John Lott responds. (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/03/truth-about-costas-belcher-and-guns/)

Skribs
December 3, 2012, 02:21 PM
The issue with DUIs among celebrities is that, for large part, the celebrity is going to go unpunished. Very few celebrities step up to the plate and say "I messed up, so I'll pay the price."

TxPhantom
December 3, 2012, 02:33 PM
I knew when I found out I had to watch the Cowboys on NBC there would be a risk of being subjected to liberal propaganda. And I was right! Liberals never give up! Same old crap over and over!
How much better would the world be if there was no such thing as the mental affliction of liberalism? What a beautiful dream! :scrutiny:

hso
December 3, 2012, 03:46 PM
I knew when I found out I had to watch the Cowboys on NBC there would be a risk...

Like the source that NBC's Costas drew his inspiration from, Fox News?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-murder-suicide-tragedy-girlfriend-self-leave-orphan-daughter-why-still-playing-sunday-120112

We gotta quit resorting to catch phrases and lazy thinking. It is time for folks to quit drinking their own bathwater and start being skeptical and analytical about all the sacred cows we cling to. There are few "liberal" groups that are uniformly Anti and there are few "conservative" groups that are purely pro 2A.

DammitBoy
December 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
Let's not forget that the origin of Costas comments were from a Fox News contributor.

Teachu2
December 3, 2012, 04:00 PM
The behaviors of pro athletes should not be held forth to justify or reflect the behaviors of the general populace.

I know of a case where a man killed himself with a safety pin...

22-rimfire
December 3, 2012, 04:09 PM
It would make no sense to cancel a NFL game as has been suggested. The guy killed his girl friend! He is a murderer. He's a victim? The gun drove him to do this terrible deed?? Ridiculous. There is no excuse for it. As far as I'm concerned, he saved the tax payers money by popping himself off.

Pilot
December 3, 2012, 04:12 PM
Let's not forget that the origin of Costas comments were from a Fox News contributor.

Ahhhh, no. Fox News is not Fox Sports. Two different and seperate organizations.

farson135
December 3, 2012, 04:26 PM
Here is an open letter I saw. I thought it was beautifully written-

http://doubleplusundead.com/2012/12/03/an-open-letter-to-bob-costas-and-jason-whitlock/

I have an Ex. I have an Ex who, in the process of becoming my Ex, made credible threats to kill me. Why did I believe these threats were credible? Because among the primary reasons why I left him were that he had anger control issues, that he was a problem drinker well on his way to full blown alcoholism and that the things he was throwing at me were getting ever closer to my head. I decided to leave before finally snapped and actually hit me. He was displeased by this and made such displeasure known.

Do you know what kept me safe? Not some piece of paper. Not a judge tut tutting at him and shaking his/her finger and telling him to leave me alone. Not the police, who, after all, would only be able to respond once he had caused me harm. No, what kept me safe was my Glock. What kept me safe was my Glock and the fact that he knew I had both the ability and the will to empty a clip into his chest if he made good on his statements that if I did not come back, I would not see the next week. He never tried to do any of the things he screamed he would because he knew that not only would I defend myself but that I could. My Ex was nearly a foot taller than me and, at the time, had about 150 pounds on me. If he had been able to get close enough to me to harm me, there were very few options I had to protect myself. But with my Glock, well, I would be able to stop him before he got that close. I am alive today because he knew that if he tried to make that otherwise, there was a better than even chance he would be the one lying there in a pool of blood instead of me.

Skribs
December 3, 2012, 04:36 PM
It doesn't get any more beautiful than that, Farson. She presents herself as an individual with a legitimate fear, and a rational method of defending herself. Doesn't sound like she would actively pursue the man in order to shoot him down, but that she knew full well what to do if he sought her to beat her down.

dcarch
December 3, 2012, 05:14 PM
Any responses to the emails yet, guys? Or just the standard boilerplate "thank you for contacting us" email?

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 05:34 PM
John Lott responds. (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/03/truth-about-costas-belcher-and-guns/)
Thanks, that was a good read

MrDig
December 3, 2012, 05:41 PM
Another well stated view which opposes those expressed by Costas
http://www.caintv.com/for-crying-out-loud-bob-costas

Just One Shot
December 3, 2012, 06:14 PM
Found this on another site.

Let NBC and Costas know what you think about his anti-gun comments. Remember, keep it short, civil and to the point!...
Leslie Byxbee
Publicist
NBC Sports Group
(212) 664-4539

Fax: (212) 664-6035
Project Assignment:
leslie.byxbee@nbcuni.com

Adam Freifeld
Vice President, Communications
NBC Sports Group
(212) 664-6772
Project Assignment: "2012 London Olympics" , "The Belmont Stakes" , "The French Open" , "NFL Kickoff Special 2012" , "The Preakness Stakes" , "NBC Sunday Night Football" , "Super Bowl XLVI" , "The Kentucky Derby" , "The 'Lights"
adam.freifeld@nbcuni.com

Greg Hughes
NBC Sports Group
(212) 664-6111
Project Assignment:
greg.hughes@nbcuni.com

Nisa Kiang
Communications Assistant
NBC Sports Group
(212) 413-6837
Project Assignment:
nisa.kiang@nbcuni.com

Carol Ko
Director, Corporate Communications
NBC Sports Group
(212) 664-6256
Project Assignment:
carol.ko@nbcuni.com

Chris McCloskey
Vice President, Communications
NBC Sports Group
(212) 664-5598
Project Assignment: "2012 London Olympics" , "Football Night in America" , "National Hockey League" , "Notre Dame Football" , "PGA Tour" , "Ryder Cup" , "Senior PGA Championship" , "U.S. Open & USGA Championships" , "Costas Tonight "
christopher.mccloskey@nbcuni.com

Alex Rozis
Director, Communications
NBC Sports Group
(212) 664-4154
Project Assignment:
Alex.rozis@nbcuni.com

larryh1108
December 3, 2012, 06:18 PM
I've read a lot of posts from people saying Costas had every right to say what he wants in our free society. I don't disagree. What got me upset was that he used a public forum with tens of millions of viewers to actually say that without the gun there would be no deaths. He painted the gun as evil, not the guy who pumped 9 shots into his girlfriend. He painted the murderer as the victim to the gun. He portrayed the gun as the murderer. Millions of people trust him and now when they vote on candidates who support banning guns, Costa's words will jump out at them.... guns are the reason people are murdered.

Costa may have used the words of another but by quoting him on his platform, the words became his. He had plenty of time to write what he was saying, reading and rereading it until it was exactly what he wanted to say and then he said the words he wished to say. He painted guns as the evil. he said they'd be alive today if there were no guns. He told us that the guns shot both of the victims, not some crazed killer bent on murder and suicide. If he was mad enough to put 9 rounds into his ex, if he didn't have a gun he could have used a bat, among other things. Would Costas have used SNF as his platform for bat control? If the murderer beat her 9 times with a bat or stabbed her 9 times with a knife, would he even said a word? No. He used this tragedy to lie to the public about handguns. He didn't use his freedom of speech to make a statement, he used lies and deception to distort the truth to further his stand on gun control. That is what is so wrong here. The lies.

trav7802
December 3, 2012, 06:19 PM
You've hit the nail on the head.

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 06:28 PM
Special Report with Brett Baier on fox news is fixing to have this as a topic of discussion after the commercial break right now.

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 06:32 PM
Special Report with Brett Baier on fox news is fixing to have this as a topic of discussion after the commercial break right now.
well that wasn't very good. the piece was about 30 seconds long basically replaying costas's rant. thats it. oh well

MrDig
December 3, 2012, 06:39 PM
The article I linked to pretty much states that Costas should stick to Sports Talk and let the Grown Ups whose lives deal with more important and real world issues Talk about Guns and Politics. While he has an opinion and a bully pulpit preaching to the rest of us about this was a seriously bad choice. In particular the fact that he used sophomoric logic to state his opinion leads me to believe that he would have been better served to stick to football rather than Gun Control.

Averageman
December 3, 2012, 06:49 PM
Jovan Belcher shot Kasandra Perkins nine times with a hand gun, killing the Mother of his Daughter and then killed himself leaving his daughter and Orphan.

This isn't about guns, this is about nuts, Jovan Belcher was a mentally unbalanced. You just dont come home and decide to kill your baby momma by shooting her, you decide to empty the magazine.

If you get to that point mentally, it doesn't matter if there is a handgun or a Knife (O.J. Please stand up) or a blunt object in the room, She is going to die.

All Costas did was again make excuses for a failed way the press and public idolize athletes in America. Costa's is as guilty as anyone of fostering that culture.

Costa is the same guy who interviewed Jerry Sandusky at the peak of his controversy while being charged as a pedophile.

So after the interview with Sandusky what should Bob have blamed that crime spree of perversion on? After all if guns cause murders, then what is the weapon of choice when Men rape Boys? Just how do we eliminate it Bob?

The point is guys like Bob Costa and the entire Sports Press, College Football Programs, even High School Football programs can leave a lasting effect on a young Man that, because I am so gifted at this sport the rules of normal life and society do not apply to me.

You make them Gods, the trouble is they are not Gods and some never learn to live a normal life with rules and responcabilities.
Bob, you are a part of the problem, and your opinion wasn't a part of the answer. Had Kasandra Perkins been armed She might be alive tonight.

readyeddy
December 3, 2012, 07:06 PM
Averageman is right. If he wasn't a pro football player, it would have been just another story about some low life murdering a woman.

Blame it on guns, blame it on social media, blame it on not noticing the signs.... blame it on everything except the murderer.

Wes B
December 3, 2012, 07:52 PM
I was already in the habit of switching the channel when Costas comes on so I missed it.

I hope he gets removed before the next Olympics, he just grates on my nerves.

coloradokevin
December 3, 2012, 08:02 PM
I fear we're on the verge of another politically bad decade for gun owners (similar to the mid-90's when the now defunct AWB was put into place). Lately we're hearing one story after another that talks about how guns are responsible for crime. We all know it isn't the case, but the mainstream media seems to eat up any opportunity to demonize guns, as if inanimate objects are responsible for violence.

Now we have a left-leaning president and congress, and many of these elected officials (including the president) have made campaign promises which included more stringent gun control laws. It's a scary combination of events that I think may begin to conspire against lawful gun owners. I also believe that any new legislation against guns will probably be implemented as permanent laws (minus the 'sunset provision' that was written into the last AWB).

Strangely, in the same week when this NFL linebacker murdered his wife, a young (and equally disturbed) individual killed a couple of people with a compound bow. That incident barely made the news, while the NFL GUN killer has been a headline story ever since he murdered his wife. It seems that any story involving gun violence gets to headline for weeks, while incidents of violence using other tools (including novel ones, like a compound bow) barely get noticed by the general public. Similarly, incidents of guns saving the lives of good people are rarely deemed interesting enough to go on the evening news, while every story of violence is told over and over again.

Besides, does anyone really reasonably believe that a professional linebacker would have been unwilling or unable to kill his wife if he hadn't had access to a firearm? I think not.

The obvious point I'm driving at here is the fact that we are losing the media battle in too many ways, as nearly every applicable story of human failure is twisted into an anti-gun argument.. The one thing we really have going for us is the fact that gun ownership is at an all-time high. But, that'll only carry us so far if public sentiment turns cold to the rights of gun owners.

phil dirt
December 3, 2012, 08:14 PM
Jovan Belcher was a 25 year old spoiled brat, and like a spoiled brat he had a tantrum. Rot in hell Jovan!

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 08:18 PM
Just got a NRA-ILA special alert email about this, here it is for those who want to hear what Chris Cox has to say:

"Bob Costas interrupts football game
to bash American gun owners "

When celebrities and media personalities attempt to plumb the depths of our social consciousness, the result is rarely pretty. Such was the case Sunday night when NBC sportscaster Bob Costas shamelessly tried to capitalize on the recent and tragic murder-suicide involving the NFL’s Jovan Belcher to score personal political points against law-abiding gun owners.

For anyone who missed it, in his halftime segment during Sunday night's NFL game between the Dallas Cowboy and the Philadelphia Eagles, Costas hit his captive audience of football fans over the head with this absurd rant:

You want some actual perspective on this? Well, a bit of it comes from the Kansas City-based writer Jason Whitlock with whom I do not always agree, but who today said it so well that we may as well just quote or paraphrase from the end of his article...

Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments, and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it. In the coming days, Jovan Belcher's actions, and their possible connection to football, will be analyzed. Who knows?

But here, wrote Jason Whitlock, is what I believe. If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

Only a media elitist, living a cloistered life inside the NBC newsroom, could let loose with such a woefully ignorant, ill-timed and irresponsible statement. Furthermore, the fact that Costas tried to partially hide behind a fellow journalist borders on cowardice.

According to criminologist Gary Kleck, 2.5 million Americans use firearms to defend their lives and the lives of their loved ones each year. The obvious truth is that if Bob Costas and his gun-ban buddies at NBC had their way, many of these innocent men and women would not be alive today.

Seemingly, Costas has absolutely no knowledge of the fact that good men and women — and oftentimes, the physically weakest among us — rely on firearms as the only reasonable means of protecting themselves from would-be murderers, rapists and thugs.

Take the case of the elderly woman in Sarasota, Florida, who, earlier this year, used a handgun to fend off an attacker who broke through her kitchen window. "I was fearful of my life," the grandmother tearfully told a 911 operator after she fired two shots at the intruder, causing him to flee.

Or the case of a young Oklahoma mother, who used a firearm to successfully defend herself and her three-month-old baby this past New Year's Eve from a man armed with a 12-inch hunting knife who kicked in her door and came straight for her and her child.

On the other hand, consider the tragic reality of Bob Costas' and Jason Whitlock's gun-ban utopia.

In 2007, Amanda Collins was a student at the University of Nevada, Reno. Although she possessed a legal permit to carry a handgun, the university prohibited her from doing so on campus property.

Late one night, after taking a mid-term exam, Collins was attacked and brutally raped in a campus parking garage located just 100 yards from a police station. And although she escaped with her life that night, another young woman abducted near the same campus would not be so lucky.

Brianna Denison had been staying with a friend during winter break when she went missing in the middle of the night. After a frantic, four-week search, authorities finally found Brianna’s naked, frozen body, crudely hidden underneath a discarded Christmas tree. She had been kidnapped, raped and strangled to death — savaged by the same monster who attacked Amanda in the parking garage just a few months earlier.

As is often the case with media talking heads, it’s doubtful that Bob Costas has any real understanding of the recklessness of his statements. However, ignorance is never a good excuse, and that’s especially true for someone like Bob Costas, who prides himself on being a responsible journalist.

Bob Costas offended millions of law-abiding, gun-owning football fans with his gun-ban rant. He not only owes every one of us an apology, but also a promise that, in the future, he’ll stick to doing what he’s paid very well to do: talk about sports.

-Chris W. Cox is the Executive Director of the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) and serves as the organization’s chief lobbyist.

sappyg
December 3, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for those email addresses Just one shot. I hope those in boxes get clogged up.
I don't grudge Costas for his right to free speech. Just that what he said was uncalled for and agenda driven. They (NBC) need to be called on it.

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 08:38 PM
Yahoo's Jay Busbee had a pretty good article on this that you can find here.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bob-costas-advocates-gun-control-sunday-night-football-164208209--nfl.html

Also USA Today has a article with some of Costas remarks through a NBC spokesperson about the matter. They are here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/12/03/bob-costas-nbc-jovan-belcher-guns-jason-whitlock-second-amendment/1744067/

Steve CT
December 3, 2012, 08:42 PM
Mike Lupica put out some of this same crap on Imus this morning, and pretty much got shut down.

The problem is not the guns, it's the sick people.

holdencm9
December 3, 2012, 08:46 PM
From now on I will just watch Faith Hill's intro and then turn it off. Lately, the games have been pretty lackluster anyway.

Walkalong
December 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
Wilbon on PTI today echoed the same sentiment. He basically gave Costa kudos. I hate it. I like PTI.

whtsmoke
December 3, 2012, 09:21 PM
welcome home brother

DurangoKid
December 3, 2012, 09:24 PM
He said today he was misunderstood... He thinks hunters should have a gun? He is only opposed to people who too many guns. He wants resonable laws to stop people from having an arsenel of weapons in their basement? Oh, yes he believes in the 1st Amendment. People need to turn this guy off.:rolleyes:

larryh1108
December 3, 2012, 09:45 PM
Costas seems out of control. This happens to people who get too full of themselves. Hopefully he doesn't have any guns at home. At least his family is safe from being shot. Out of control people do out of control things.

d2wing
December 3, 2012, 09:50 PM
So the pro football player could not kill her without a gun? Give me a break. If she had the gun, she would be alive.

rvanpelt
December 3, 2012, 10:26 PM
So the pro football player could not kill her without a gun? Give me a break. If she had the gun, she would be alive.

Well said, d2wing.
Rod van Pelt

DammitBoy
December 3, 2012, 10:58 PM
NBC spokesman Greg Hughes says,"In a short (on-air) time period he can cover only one aspect of a complicated issue. So he quoted (columnist Jason Whitlock) about the gun culture and an almost Wild West attitude in parts of this country. He is pro-sensible gun reform and pro-attitude adjustment on guns."

Gee, that sounds so much better... :rolleyes:

exbrit49
December 3, 2012, 11:34 PM
I didn't see the broadcast but have seen his comments on the news. Call and let NBC know that his editorializing his not acceptable and the he should comment on football only. Advise that if an apology is not issued you will not be watching future broadcasts that he is on. Let them know that you feel he abused his position in airing the comments. You might let them know you are prepared to contact their advertisers and advise you are not going to watch the show unless action is taken. Loss of revenue from the advertisers will speak louder than we can.a

hso
December 3, 2012, 11:51 PM
They're scrambling in response to the pressure, which means we need to increase the pressure. The confusing muddle of spin and half truths are the first step of the extreme position of a celebrity being disavowed.

Ask Mr. Costas and NBC if they'd have denied Ms. Perkins the right to own a firearm in the face of the violent behavior of her murder? Ask them if they'd deny all women the right to own a firearm in the face of their abusers, rapists and murders? Ask them if they'd deny the hundreds of thousands of people that use a firearm to stop a violent crime each year the right to own a firearm? Ask them how much they're going to spin this fumble on NBC's and Mr. Costas's part before they admit the liability of the position they took and apologize to the American public.

HOOfan_1
December 4, 2012, 12:08 AM
Wilbon on PTI today echoed the same sentiment. He basically gave Costa kudos. I hate it. I like PTI.

Wilbon is an opinionated loudmouth...can't stand him..hate Kornheiser even more.

He said today he was misunderstood... He thinks hunters should have a gun? He is only opposed to people who too many guns. He wants resonable laws to stop people from having an arsenel of weapons in their basement? Oh, yes he believes in the 1st Amendment. People need to turn this guy off.:rolleyes:

This "gun culture" BS the antis spew is rather comical. I doubt very seriously Blecher was big into "gun culture"...which is more likely to describe those of us on this board. Adherence to safety and acting responsible is a big part of "gun culture"

Gun culture isn't causing these violent crimes. Gun culture is preventing the antis from winning. That is why they are mad. They are not mad that the crimes are being committed, they are mad that they can't get their way, because "gun culture" is standing in their way.

The more they talk about it, the more idiotic they sound. Every day they prove to me that gun control isn't about guns...it is about control.

powell&hyde
December 4, 2012, 12:16 AM
Roland Martin interviews Jason Whitlock and Whitlock said that the NRA is the new KKK, this guy is unbelievable.

http://rolandmartinreports.com/blog/2012/12/roland-s-martin-daily-podcast-12-03-12-roland-martin-talks-with-jason-whitlock-about-his-article-about-jovan-belchers-murder-suicide/

DammitBoy
December 4, 2012, 12:29 AM
I think we need to add Jason Whitlock and Fox Sports to the list of folks that need to hear from us! Does anybody have contact information for Fox Sports?

JTHunter
December 4, 2012, 12:29 AM
When he was working for KMOX Radio in St. Louis, he was referred to as "young Bobby Costas" when his fellow on-air personalities were the late Bob Hardy and the late Jack Carney. He was/is good at what he does and he should stick to that!
I won't say that he should lose his job for putting his foot in his mouth so thoroughly but there should be some kind of repurcussions. Problem is, being NBC out of NYC - ain't gonna happen!

Queen_of_Thunder
December 4, 2012, 07:49 AM
Time to write those who ran commericals during the show. NBC only understands one thing and thats money. So hit them where it hurts the most. In their cash flow.

otasan56
December 4, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'll never watch SNF ever again. :(

Lawdawg45
December 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
Costas seems out of control. This happens to people who get too full of themselves. Hopefully he doesn't have any guns at home. At least his family is safe from being shot. Out of control people do out of control things.

Ask any LEO who has been assigned to his security detail, and they'll agree with you 100%. Look up "Short mans syndrome" in the dictionary and you'll find Costas picture.;)

LD

morcey2
December 4, 2012, 09:44 AM
If anyone is still operating under the flawed assumption that Bill O'Reilly is one of the good-guys in this argument, his show last night should have ended that fantasy. I'm going to paraphrase as best I can.

He was talking about the penalties that people should face when they commit any gun crime, including being caught with an "illegal gun." He said that once you've been through the proper training, received a permit to purchase a gun, and received your "papers" to own a gun that if you were caught with a gun without your "papers" then you go to prison.

Um, Bill. The only "paper" I need to own a gun or an arsenal is called the Constitution. I don't need "papers" to exercise my first amendment rights to freedom of speech or freedom of religion (yet).

I'm looking for a link to a transcript or video of that segment, but I haven't found it yet.

Matt

HOOfan_1
December 4, 2012, 09:53 AM
He said that once you've been through the proper training, received a permit to purchase a gun, and received your "papers" to own a gun that if you were caught with a gun without your "papers" then you go to prison.

Maybe those of us who own guns should have to wear some sort of symbol of a gun on our shirt as well. That will make it easier for them to round us up when they want to outlaw guns

mcdonl
December 4, 2012, 09:54 AM
I gave my pressure.

hso
December 4, 2012, 09:56 AM
O'Reilly has always been a elitist Anti. The fanboys just haven't wanted to accept it.

IMTHDUKE
December 4, 2012, 09:57 AM
Not a shocker at all. I wonder if Bob Costas owns a handgun.

No...he hires body guards who do. What hypocracy.

hso
December 4, 2012, 10:06 AM
I just listened to the Whitlock radio interview and he literally called the NRA the new KKK and blamed us for arming gangs as if it were some genocidal conspiracy. That sort of rhetoric hasn't been heard for a long long time.

Agsalaska
December 4, 2012, 10:06 AM
cmon guys. Havent you learned anything.

Bob Costas didnt rant about gun ownership in the United States. His microphone did.

Roverrich
December 4, 2012, 10:13 AM
Well if we use Costa's line of argument, making drugs like heroin illegal should stop or lessen the drug overdose problem.....oh wait, heroin is already illegal. Yeah right.

How about some meaningful commentary on how we as a society have issues with how we relate to each other and resolve disagrements. This is most concerning considering how polarization of the country is getting. If we can't learn to resolve disputes without resorting to harming our "advesary", we all soon be at each other's throats. By harm, I mean not only physical, but even emotional, financial, psychological etc. The issue with the Jovan's murder / suicide is not a gun issue but rather a specific example of this social problem we are facing.

DammitBoy
December 4, 2012, 10:18 AM
I just listened to the Whitlock radio interview and he literally called the NRA the new KKK and blamed us for arming gangs as if it were some genocidal conspiracy. That sort of rhetoric hasn't been heard for a long long time.

Whitlock is a moron. He said football is our god and gun culture was responsible for this murder/suicide. He also talked about the team "honoring" the murderer by displaying his jersey in the locker room. I want no part of a culture that honors murderers.

Sorry Whitlock, football may be your "god" but it isn't mine and the culture of football is where you should direct your blame for this murder/suicide if you can't take the direct route and blame the shooter.

I believe in this odd little theory called "individual responsibility" which seems to be a dying belief in this country....

HOOfan_1
December 4, 2012, 10:19 AM

His speach is a lot closer to the KKK's speech than the NRA's. Mindless, and baseless fear mongering. The NRA isn't trying to deny the rights of any specific group....people like Whitlock are.

Pilot
December 4, 2012, 10:21 AM
O'Reilly has always been a elitist Anti. The fanboys just haven't wanted to accept it.

That's true, and he is in the NYC "bubble" so to most there he seems like the Pres of the NRA. He doesn't believe we should be able to have "weapons of war" like AR-15's which he calls assault weapons. He does believe we should be able to own a handgun in our home (gee thanks) but not an "arsenal of guns in our basement". :rolleyes:

beatledog7
December 4, 2012, 10:47 AM
This is really simple.

Assault is illegal. Murder is illegal. There are innumerable methodologies for perpetrating both, and which to use is the perp's personal choice. A person who has what he sees as sufficient reason to kill another person will find a way. This NFL linebacker was clearly troubled enough to kill someone close to him and himself, and everybody missed it. Whatever was eating at him was the cause of these deaths, not his chosen method of carrying them out.

There are many, many more handgun owners who have never killed anyone and never will (even in defense) than there are handgun owners who have killed with a handgun or ever will. By and large, these law-abiding handgun owners have never committed and most likely never will commit murder or assault with anything else either.

The other side of the coin: There is but one truly effective defense against assault by someone whose physical size, speed, and strength vastly outstrips that of his intended victim--a firearm. Not the courts, not the police, not locked doors, not pepper spray or mace. As has been noted in this thread by folks who claim first-hand experience, Bob Costas goes around with armed security. That's because he knows and leverages what he would deny to us ordinary peons: A gun levels the playing field like nothing else.

Nobody likes to leak.

Deanimator
December 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
Who needs Costas or the NFL?
Who needs SPORTS???

Costas is a quinessentially trivial man, discussing a quintessentially trivial subject.

His branching out into things of which he has no knowledge only confirms his own irrelevance... and the gullibility of those who would attribute any meaning to his utterances.

His simply BEING a sports "commentator" disqualifies him from having any meaningful opinions on ANY subject which matters.

Deanimator
December 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
Don't forget that he ALSO said that the NRA distributes drugs in the Black community.

If so, he's gotten the lion's share of the product...

Ryanxia
December 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
Sent my e-mail to NBC telling them how inappropriate it is to let Costas bring his anti-gun politics into a Sports event and to please keep him from spouting his anti-American political views. (my exact words were a little better sounding).

HoosierQ
December 4, 2012, 05:03 PM
There is a fierce backlash against this on Facebook. Lots of people out there don't like this crud.

captain awesome
December 4, 2012, 05:31 PM
I knew there was a reason why I can't stand football and refuse to watch, participate or comment on any of it. Except just now.:neener:

leadcounsel
December 4, 2012, 06:59 PM
Email the NFL and NBC and demand that Costas either backtrack his statements or be fired.

The problem is that millions of men and women are drones who watch pro sports and will blindly follow...

coloradokevin
December 4, 2012, 08:54 PM
Who needs SPORTS???

Costas is a quinessentially trivial man, discussing a quintessentially trivial subject.

His branching out into things of which he has no knowledge only confirms his own irrelevance... and the gullibility of those who would attribute any meaning to his utterances.

His simply BEING a sports "commentator" disqualifies him from having any meaningful opinions on ANY subject which matters.

That one made me laugh. I just read it to my other half, and she really liked it. I played football when I was in school, and watch a game every once in a great while these days. But, I completely agree with your point: this man's entire public existence centers around his ability to discuss a subject that simply doesn't matter. In the grand scheme of things football is completely unimportant, and having an intimate knowledge of the subject doesn't likely imply that you have any expertise in any other particular subject.

hso
December 4, 2012, 09:16 PM
I posted this on their Facebook page.

Until Mr. Costas and NBC apologizes to the families who have suffered domestic violence and have needed to protect their safety with a firearm NBC Sports and their sponsors will receive not one penny of my money or moment of my time.

CharlieBT
December 4, 2012, 09:27 PM
Edward R. Murrow, the father of television news broadcasting, was right: just because technology allows a man's opinion to be heard across the country does not make his opinion any more correct than it was back in the days when his voice carried only to the end of the bar.

floorit76
December 4, 2012, 09:55 PM
We have a local school administrator that I have had this conversation with many times before. He was not very athletic, and idolized those that were (like Costas). I can't convince him that putting athletes up on a pedestal, above the rules, is a bad thing. It's especially bad here due to our small school size, and the "need" for the good athletes to play in the big game.

TennJed
December 4, 2012, 10:12 PM
I have a Facebook account but do not use it a lot. Does anyone have links to things I can "like" and "share" regarding this?

Pismopal
December 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
No mention of the issue of concussions....nooooo. The issue of concussion within the NFL would get too close to their pockets so lets blame a man's demented act on guns...always safe..just like bitchin about Wall Street when the economy is bad. Bob is just a lickspit flunky.

jmorris
December 4, 2012, 10:42 PM
http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/490681321870594793_W9usMB53_b.jpg

ShamboPyro
December 4, 2012, 10:42 PM
Everyone is looking at this wrong. We must ban footballs so that no one will become a football player and murder their girlfriend.

Neverwinter
December 4, 2012, 11:36 PM
There's a certain amount of irony in the people who say that they want to address the underlying causes rather than blame guns, but still support the professional football industry.

kvtcomdo
December 5, 2012, 12:46 AM
Edward R. Murrow, the father of television news broadcasting, was right: just because technology allows a man's opinion to be heard across the country does not make his opinion any more correct than it was back in the days when his voice carried only to the end of the bar.

That was great.

kvtcomdo
December 5, 2012, 01:52 AM
Edward R. Morrow once said:"Just because technology allows a man's opinion to be heard across the country does not make his opinion any more correct than it was back in the days when his voice carried only to the end of the bar."

Which just about says it for me concerning Mr Costa's rant on SNF.

His opinion is not based on facts and I would be happy to explore those facts with you should you be so inclined.

There is plenty of blame to go around when tragic events such as this occur and I find his comments offensive and utterly inappropriate.

The fact he is completely WRONG in his opinion is the beauty of this country and the 1st amendment, don't forget that the 2nd amendment purchased all the rest.

I don't need SNF nor any NBC sports to be entertained, especially Mr Costas who has lost ALL credibilty with me as he speaks of things he knows nothing about and fulfills Mr Morrows judgement of those who use a bully pulpit to propagate an opinion instead of sticking to that which they know.

Just report the sports and keep the under informed opinions to yourself.

E Mail I sent to all of the above NBC executives.;)

TheInquisitor
December 5, 2012, 02:00 AM
Hi all, been away for a while and am glad to be back on this site.
Use to be on the 'fence' on firearms issues, but realized you can't be.
I am solidly pro-gun and absolutely support the 2nd Amendment.
As for the media commentator, all I can do is shake my head.

kvtcomdo
December 5, 2012, 02:30 AM
I refer you to my previous e mail and to the Edward R Morrow quote I feel was so appropriate.

Now it keeps getting better and better.

Now Mr Costas believes in gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment he just doesn't like semi automatic weapons.

Would Mr Costas been more relieved if the girlfriend had only been shot 6(six) times instead of nine(9). How about 8(eight) as you know we have eight(8) shot revolvers now.

Are you kidding me? Another quote which comes to mind is: "Better to remain silent and have people think you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

The semi automatic mechanism has been around since the turn of the 19th century; that's 1900 for those who have forgotten. It's still one shot for one trigger pull, not full auto where the gun shoots all it's rounds until the magazine is empty. A revolver is the same, one shot per trigger pull. It's not the mechanism it's the idiot behind the weapon and one would think that Mr Costas, who obviously is better informed than the rest of us, would know that before he removes that doubt.

I'm fed up, this isn't getting better and you are in danger of losing those of us who believe all freedom is sacred by your uneducated, ill informed diatribe. Know that facts and maybe we can solve some of our societies ills....together.

Sent another letter after reading the transcripts of Costas's interview on a sports talk show.:barf:

JustinJ
December 5, 2012, 09:14 AM

For the sake of fareness Chuck Woolery is being praised in another thread for a pro-gun rant. Would being a dating show host not disqualify him from having any meaningful opinions on ANY subject which matters as well?

Blackstone
December 5, 2012, 09:23 AM
But from what I know, Chuck Woolery made his own video, and didn't voice his opinions on air during the halftime of a game.

HOOfan_1
December 5, 2012, 09:38 AM
We have a local school administrator that I have had this conversation with many times before. He was not very athletic, and idolized those that were (like Costas).

What makes you think Costas is athletic? To my knowledge, he never played sports on a high level. He is simply a commentator. He doesn't even look remotely athletic to me.

Edit...nevermind...I suppose you mean Costas also idolizes those who are athletic...

rodinal220
December 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
He should be fired.Every gun owner should be calling,writing,emailing the network.I did.

almherdfan
December 5, 2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah, Costas is way, way, off. These pro-assault weapon ban rants are tired and trite, based on emotion, not facts.

However, in the spirit of free speech, I am strongly against any punitive action against him. Rather, 2A supporters should counter his foolish and simple argument with wisely worded facts, distributed to the networks, advertisers, and the public in general.

We have the Founding Fathers on our side, they can have Bob Costas.

larryh1108
December 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
Let's see. Costas lies to 18.1 million viewers on SNF (link below)

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/ratings-sunday-night-football-scores-nbc-666-park-ave-and-revenge-rise-67541

and we can get someone from the NRA to rebut the lies with facts who may get on a cable channel with 800,000 viewers. Sounds fair to me!

The part that hurts gun owners the most is that Sunday Night Football is and has been the #1 watched program every week, not just sports programing but any program. 18.1 viewers heard his lies. How does someone with the same type of credibility get on a program with 18 million viewers to level the playing field? Unless SNF allows a rebuttal guest, you don't. He poisoned the minds of people sitting on the fence of gun control. People like us won't be persuaded. The hard core antis are already firm in their belief that guns are bad. Costas poisoned the minds of all those who don't pay attention to this controversy and take him for his word because he is Bob Costas, a well respected "journalist" (term used loosely). The harm this caused the gun community can't be measured. He used his name and fame to lie to the American public. If he stuck with facts with his own slanted view, well, we see that almost every day. However, he just lied and painted a murderer as a victim to a gun. The murderer is the victim here? Really? Bad guns! Bad!

P5 Guy
December 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
Well, the ten (10) shot revolver may be just a 22, but is that better Mr Costas?
What makes gun violence so much more terrible than any of the other forms of violence? Knives, bludgeons or just plain old hands and feet can be just as deadly.

Robert
December 5, 2012, 06:33 PM
8 pages is plenty. Write letters, or make calls, and let the network know what you think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sunday Night Football anti-gun sermon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!