Good Trade?

PDA

rugerman07
December 3, 2012, 07:12 AM
I'm considering trading my Ruger SR9 for a Rock Island 1911. It will be an even trade, no $$$ involved. What do you think, good trade?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rubber_Duck
December 3, 2012, 07:24 AM
Sounds fair on the surface. How many mags with each gun and is the RIA the GI model or the Tactical?

ku4hx
December 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
From a monetary standpoint, that would depend on the condition of the two guns.

From an emotional standpoint it all depends on what you want to do. Both are pretty good guns, and both will likely serve you well. Generally 45 ACP ammunition is more costly than 9mm. Is that a concern for you?

My wife owns an SR9 and she likes it a lot. I own a 1911 and am looking for an SR1911. At this point I'd lean toward completing the trade since my mindset is to get another 1911. If it were just after shooting her SR9 I'd be more inclined to keep it I think since it was such a nice shooter.

It all depends on what you want. "Good deal" is like "beauty" in that's it really is in the mind of the beholder.

bannockburn
December 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sounds okay if both guns are in the same condition and have close to the same amount of magazines and accessories with them.

rugerman07
December 3, 2012, 06:17 PM
Sounds fair on the surface. How many mags with each gun and is the RIA the GI model or the Tactical? Both guns are in excellent condition with 2 mags. The 1911 is the tactical model.

rugerman07
December 3, 2012, 06:20 PM
From a monetary standpoint, that would depend on the condition of the two guns.

From an emotional standpoint it all depends on what you want to do. Both are pretty good guns, and both will likely serve you well. Generally 45 ACP ammunition is more costly than 9mm. Is that a concern for you?

My wife owns an SR9 and she likes it a lot. I own a 1911 and am looking for an SR1911. At this point I'd lean toward completing the trade since my mindset is to get another 1911. If it were just after shooting her SR9 I'd be more inclined to keep it I think since it was such a nice shooter.

It all depends on what you want. "Good deal" is like "beauty" in that's it really is in the mind of the beholder. I'm considering the trade because I recently bought a Glock 17 so my SR9 won't be seeing much use now and I'd really like to get a 1911.

Jaymo
December 3, 2012, 11:33 PM
Personally, I'd rather have my SR9 than a G17 OR an RIA 1911. (I can't believe I just said that)
Then again, I have a 1911, so I don't need to get one to scratch that itch.
I hear good things about the Philippine 1911s. Mine is an ATI and I love it.
But, my SR9 is my current obsession.
The Philippine 1911s sell for a decent bit MORE than the SR9s in my area.
If you get the itch for another SR9, you can always get another one.

Don't take anything I've said to be a condemnation of the RIA 1911s. They have a very good reputation.
I'd rather have the RIA than any Glock.
I'm just more "into" my SR9. It's a great carry gun for me.

Walt Sherrill
December 3, 2012, 11:40 PM
If you just have to have a 1911, it's probably a good trade.

Like one of the earlier posters, I like the SR9 and have begun to think they're doing a Glock-like thing better than Glock does (except they do it with a lot more parts than does Glock.)

The Glock is elegant in it's simplicity. I didn't realize just how simple they were -- although I had read and looked at diagrams -- until spending some time installing a trigger kit in a Glock 38 this weekend.

I think the Ruger probably has more parts in its fire control assembly than Glock has in it's whole Gun!! (I have an SR9 with the Ghost trigger installed, and now I want the trigger to be just a bit lighter... Nice gun. I chickened out on the trigger kit install there, and had my gunsmith do it -- after going through the instructions and photos on the Ghost site, I didn't have the nerve. Too many tiny parts for me...)

Jed Carter
December 4, 2012, 06:00 AM
Why would anyone want to trade a perfectly good 1911 for a Ruger SR9? Is the RIA pistol working as it should? I would ask to shoot the 1911 and if it worked, I would make the trade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Trade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!