why do i like revolvers more than autos? why do you?

PDA

jason41987
December 3, 2012, 04:35 PM
i have an attraction towards revolvers and honestly, i cant understand why... so in an attempt id like to know why you prefer them over autos?

ive been thinking and yeah, they are reliable, but so is a good modern semi automatic... they hold less, weigh more, but yet, i still like them for some reason... any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "why do i like revolvers more than autos? why do you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
December 3, 2012, 04:39 PM
If you reload, keeping brass is much easier.........

SaxonPig
December 3, 2012, 04:50 PM
They have a sense of the traditional about them that appeals to old fashioned shooters.

Aesthetically, they are round and flowing rather than square and blocky as are many autos.

They can shoot any bullet shape or type out of the box.

Simple and elegant.

I love my self-loading pistols but I have more revolvers. The autos are more practical in many cases, but the wheelguns have more panache.

Practical:

http://www.fototime.com/E3EFB88D32F9116/standard.jpg

Panache:

http://www.fototime.com/7DB742EBF2074A2/standard.jpg

Practical:

http://www.fototime.com/4A723F87DA5729E/standard.jpg

Panache

http://www.fototime.com/452379B6DFDF1E8/standard.jpg

OK, sometimes practical meets panache in the hallway:

http://www.fototime.com/CD0637D79203295/standard.jpg

Nathanael_Greene
December 3, 2012, 04:54 PM
I dunno why some people favor revolvers, but whatever the disease is, I have it myself.

henry-ctc
December 3, 2012, 05:00 PM
Me too

RaceM
December 3, 2012, 05:21 PM
Style points. The new autos all look similar and usually have a lot of bells & whistles I don't need like de-cockers. No worries about failures to feed or extract, or magazines to bang up or lose. I'm just a traditionalist and like 6 or more beans in a wheel.

wanderinwalker
December 3, 2012, 06:12 PM
Honestly, I have no idea why I prefer revolvers over semi-autos. No matter how much more "practical" my 9mm Glocks may be (more rounds, lighter weight, blah blah blah) I'm just drawn to a hefty steel-framed 6-shooter. And I shoot a DA wheelgun better too, even with the extra blast and flash of a Magnum round.

My current favorites:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/19RightSide.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/18Cocobolo.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/586Maple.jpg

I'm debating adding a little 5-shot .38 to the group for a CCW and hiking gun. (With a backpack hip belt I can't conveniently carry one of the others on my belt. My Baby Glock currently gets woods duty as it just barely fits in a front pants pocket.)

Wishoot
December 3, 2012, 06:25 PM
Based on a recent range experience between my LC9 and LCR, I can get off 5 quick, accurate shots with the LCR. I can get off 8 shots with the LC9, but they're all over the place.

Cocked & Locked
December 3, 2012, 07:28 PM
They just feel right to me plus I like the way they function...and shoot. Also no magazines to fiddle with and no empty brass to chase.

Plus my age probably has something to do with it. :scrutiny:

1917 S&W US Property .45 acp
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259637/166278259.jpg

1917 Colt US Property .45 acp
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6486421/404430740.jpg

I like them big
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259764/404187076.jpg

and I like them small
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6486409/400076996.jpg

gspn
December 3, 2012, 07:44 PM
Everyone likes something different. Why do I like revolvers? I like their looks, I like the way they function, I like their role in history, I like the ease of keeping my brass.

Why do I like semi-autos? I like the way they look, I like the way they function, I like their place in history...although I don't like the way they fling brass everywhere.

BYJO4
December 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
I like both and rotate between them each time I go to the range. As a reloader, the revolver is a plus by not having to chase down my brass and a revolver will shoot any style bullet (accuracy not considered).

Guillermo
December 3, 2012, 08:04 PM
practical reasons include but are not limited to

ease of brass recovery
no spreading brass around that can confuse investigators if it is needed
barrel is attached to the sights
a dud is handled with the pull of a trigger
no active safeties
the push one button renders the weapon safe
dutch load capability

emotional reasons

tradition
(in the case of older revolvers) amazing craftsmanship
beauty
elegance

beatledog7
December 3, 2012, 08:09 PM
I like shooting both about equally, but revolvers are easier to clean up after.

jason41987
December 3, 2012, 08:15 PM
see.. the few automatics i actually like are the simpler ones... the 1911, ruger MKII, the makarov... but i guess all revolvers, even the newest ones still offer that same level of simplicity...

also, i have to agree on the decockers on automatics... shooting revolvers i have a lot more trust in pulling a trigger and easing a hammer down than i do in trusting a mechanical, and therefor breakable/failable device to do it for me

and it is pretty nice to not have to chase brass you intend to reload, and have more options in bullets, like soft lead

i guess another reason would be is i like the simplicity of rimmed cartridges and theres really no reliable way to load a rimmed cartridge into a boxed magazine, tube mags and cylinders work the best

but.. i would say the old fashioned aspect has a lot to do with it... even the double action revolver concept is over 150 years old and in many cases the revolver still works better, and i always love it when "outdated" technology tops "progress"

snooperman
December 3, 2012, 08:23 PM
For me it is the rich history that spans many decades and the fact that they are simple , reliable, powerful and beautiful. It is hunting season now where I live in the deep south, and it is a joy to take game with them as well.

skidder
December 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
I like them for reloading, grip options, simplicity, and they just look cool.:cool:

urbaneruralite
December 3, 2012, 08:37 PM
Reliability, power, no hot brass landing on my skin... You can get a revolver in .44 mag and use 300 grain XTPs. Pistols don't do that and cannot equal it. Stepping down you can get a revolver that does everything else, too. If you're an outdoorsman and want to stick with one type of handgun, revolvers are the only way to go.

1 old 0311-1
December 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
Wheelies are just plain beautiful.:):)

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/kcq1/P1020241-1.jpg

BigN
December 3, 2012, 08:46 PM
I've always been afraid of an auto going off while in a holster, or in my pants.

jhvaughan2
December 4, 2012, 12:06 AM
To me there is a certain calmness to the Zen of a revolver.

A revolver is a sleeping dragon, waiting for you to awaken it. It responses at first with a stretch, and then, flame.
A Semi-auto is a cobra. Coiled and ready to strike. It responds by striking, and then, preparing itself to strike again.

A revolver sits in remembrance of the last time you fired it.
A Semi-auto sits in anticipation of the next time.

(A couple of my favorites; At least one goes to the range every time I do.
1954 38/44 Outdoorsman & 1954 .38 Masterpiece)
http://webpages.charter.net/vaughanhome/arms/shooters.jpg

Hotshot10
December 4, 2012, 12:57 AM
There's something about the aesthetics of a revolver that draws me to 'em. (Though I also have love for 1911s.)

I've handled Glocks, XDs, etc. before, and they're fine for what they are. They do, though, make me feel like I need to check my Nintendo to make sure I grabbed the right firearm from the house. :D

Alnamvet68
December 4, 2012, 01:11 AM
While my Colt 1911 collection may be considered extensive to most, none carry on my hip or pocket like a S&W J frame. If I have to regularly check and verify that I am carrying, then I'm carrying the right gun; can't do that with a 1911 no matter how small.

Retcop
December 4, 2012, 04:34 AM
xxx

bikerdoc
December 4, 2012, 06:10 AM
Growing up in the 50's I had revolvers and 1911's. The Army gave me a 1911, the cops gave me a revolver, then transitioned to auto's
Today, at 64 I have more revolvers than autos. None of my auto's are plastic.
Young guys say but you only have 5 or 6
rounds. I say I only need one.
Ya I like revolvers.

evan price
December 4, 2012, 06:43 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=164636&d=1337244307

Because there is a joy found in experiencing a well crafted piece of machinery that was made with quality and durability. It's the difference between a hand crafted wood and brass mantle clock and a Sony clock-radio. The old classic revolvers were made by craftsmen who put their skill into making a finished product. It's readily apparant to someone who has ever picked up a hardware-store wrench and then picked up a premium tool-truck wrench. There's just something about how they feel, how they make using them easier, how they bring you a feeling of connection to your tool and hand and the job you are doing. They become an extension of yourself.

Even modern revolvers lack this quality, and most modern 'combat' pistols are little more than toasters that shoot- Mass produced, soulless, bullet-flinging appliances with all the character of a Honda Accord.

Granted- it's nice to know that when it's 30 degrees or 100 degrees outside you can jump into your Honda Accord and it will fire right up and get you to work every day on time. Or that you can take a Keltec 9mm pistol and shove it into your glove compartment and know that it's probably going to do just fine whenever you need it.

bannockburn
December 4, 2012, 08:02 AM
I can't say that I like revolvers more than semi-autos but I do know that revolvers appeal more to my sense of things traditional, historical, and maybe slightly antiquated (but in a good way); more so than most modern semi-autos ever could.

USSR
December 4, 2012, 08:54 AM
Because they've got soul.

Don

PabloJ
December 4, 2012, 09:04 AM
Because they've got soul.

Don
I like to get break open one with plastic frame Made in USSR. I do not believe these got much past prototype stage.:(

stanmo
December 4, 2012, 10:07 AM
I hate loading magazines, especially .22's.
Speaking of .22's, I can load shorts, longs, long rifles, shot shells, colibris and even mix them.

Cocked & Locked
December 4, 2012, 10:20 AM
Speaking of .22's, I can load shorts, longs, long rifles, shot shells, colibris and even mix them.

And speaking of .357 magnums, I can load magnums, .38 specials, and shot shells

And speaking of .44 magnums, I can load magnums, .44 specials, and shot shells

Lots to be said for the versatility of revolvers.

stanmo
December 4, 2012, 10:33 AM
And speaking of .357 magnums, I can load magnums, .38 specials, and shot shells

And speaking of .44 magnums, I can load magnums, .44 specials, and shot shells

And any weight bullet, any power level you want to load.

chriske
December 4, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ahhhh

All the good reasons have already been mentioned :
soul, coolness, beauty, panache, Zen......

Mark me down as a genuine Revolverlover

JFrame
December 4, 2012, 11:02 AM
Pretty much what everyone else says about the revolver...

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12/Dennva/SagePic3rd_1024.jpg

...And it just "speaks" to me... :)

Godsgunman
December 4, 2012, 12:05 PM
I like both revolvers and semis but revolvers will always have a special place with me because they are how my grandfather got me started with guns. I think its a combination of simplicity, beauty, and nostalgia.
My EDC is a 9mm semi but home defense and occasional carry (mainly winter) is a .357 revolver. A 3" barrel semi is just easier to conceal than a 3" barrel revolver.

Gary A
December 4, 2012, 12:21 PM
revolvers appeal more to my sense of things traditional, historical, and maybe slightly antiquated (but in a good way)
A perfect sentiment from one who would choose "Bannockburn" as a screen name. "Lay on! Lay on! Lay on! They fail!"

788Ham
December 4, 2012, 12:54 PM
I have both, have really given the semi's benefit of the doubt, but can't shoot them as well as the revolver. Picked up a Smith 15 over the weekend, took to the range and proceeded to chew out the center of the target @ 15 yards with it, have not been able to do that with a semi ! Revolvers just have a better feel in my hands, have always been able to shoot them better.

HARV6
December 4, 2012, 01:16 PM
POWER! The double tap was invented because semi autos suck. Shoot somebody with one and they get pierced. Shoot somebody with a magnum wheelgun and parts go flying.

jason41987
December 4, 2012, 01:19 PM
ive heard people debate revolvers being more accurate because the barrel is in fact fixed to the frame, with an automatic, both the barrel and the platform (slide) holding your sights will move

jon86
December 4, 2012, 01:24 PM
I like the fact that revolvers require less testing.

If I get a new autoloader, I feel that I must test my carry ammo with X amount of rounds. I feel that I must test my carry ammo in each magazine to test each magazine function.

With a revolver, I put a cylinder full of ammo, test to find the point of impact, and if it's acceptable, I'll carry it. Simple.

I like the way that revolvers simply melt into your side when carried IWB, as opposed to a similarly sized autoloader.

I feel when shooting an autoloader that the slide racking under recoil is obnoxious. A revolver's recoil is quick and simple.

I prefer the double action pull of the revolver trigger to the striker fired mush trigger.

Yes I like single action 1911 triggers, but I prefer no external safeties.

I dislike typical SA/DA triggers, like SIG or Beretta. Their single action triggers, while nice in theory, have such outrageous take-up.

I don't like picking up my brass.

I like that I can make the revolver safe by simply opening the cylinder.

I prefer not to worry about bullet set-back from re-chambering the same round. I just don't want to think about it. Load and unload as needed, and don't worry about anything.

And finally, I actually like the sight picture of a fixed sight revolver.

There are more reasons, but these are what I can think of now.

kbbailey
December 4, 2012, 03:25 PM
A great thread!

No brass to chase; can shoot mixed ammo; no mags to load or lose; power of ammo.

<basically everything that has been posted>

kbbailey
December 4, 2012, 03:26 PM
<dbl post>

PaisteMage
December 4, 2012, 04:24 PM
I personally do like the less is more apsect of them.
I like classical music, old instruments (like my 1920s saxophone, or my 1960s Premiers), and these weapons appeal to my lust for olden times.

Plus the more complex process of autoloaders can sometimes be a pain if a failure to extract or load next round....

I carry and auto, I relax at the range and shoot revolvers in a very Zen like moment.

Iggy
December 4, 2012, 06:28 PM
While I like autos enough and have several, I just don't trust them.
I grew up with a revolver, spent years as an LEO with one and survived some squabbles.
I've never had a revolver fail to fire, and I've never had an auto that didn't.

Iggy quickly zig-zags for an exit before the flaming fries his butt.:evil:

beag_nut
December 4, 2012, 06:28 PM
practical reasons include but are not limited to

ease of brass recovery
no spreading brass around that can confuse investigators if it is needed
barrel is attached to the sights
a dud is handled with the pull of a trigger
no active safeties
the push one button renders the weapon safe
dutch load capability

emotional reasons

tradition
(in the case of older revolvers) amazing craftsmanship
beauty
elegance
What Guillermo said, times ten, minimum.

EVIL
December 4, 2012, 08:42 PM
It's like the indescribable difference between reading Hemmingway or some modern mass media trade paperback. If all you think matters is the face value of words on a page, then there is no difference. Words like "capacity" don't do them justice. There is just no substitute for a classic, even the excellent ones still in production. The revolver harkens a classic American era when men were rugged, self-reliant, individualists and a man's word and handshake were his bond; in some forms it lives in many of us today. Evil doers were dealt with swiftly and justice rather than law prevailed. There were sheriffs, peace officers & even US Marshalls but not LEOS. There was the local hardware store not the local big box store. People saved & then judiciously spent their hard-earned money rather than received an electronic deposit paycheck, with all the deductions already removed. This (but my words do it no justice --- I'm no Hemmingway) is what the revolver conjures up for me when I carry it around town, in the field, reload empty, rimmed brass or shoot it --- one careful aimed shot at a time --- at the range.

rikman
December 4, 2012, 09:17 PM
If you reload, keeping brass is much easier.........
What he said & they're beautiful...

tomrkba
December 4, 2012, 09:40 PM
More powerful cartridges.

They look good too.

R.W.Dale
December 4, 2012, 09:49 PM
I have a different reason.

They don't destroy my expensive carry ammunition as a automatic does through bullet setback

posted via that mobile app with the sig lines everyone complaints about

F-111 John
December 4, 2012, 10:13 PM
My gun collection is neither extensive or impressive. I own a S&W Model 19-4 4", a S&W Model 60 Chief's Special, a Dan Wesson Model 715 6" & 2.5", and an Enfield Number 2 Mark I**. The Model 19 I purchased new in 1980 when I turned 21. The other three I inherited last year when my father passed away.

I just this week added the first semi-auto to my modest collection, a Glock 26. I did rent one several times before purchasing, but I was still amazed that the "baby" Glock weighs about as much as the J Frame Chief's Special, and I think it won't carry quite as easily. I won't find out until I receive my IWB hybrid holster, and I've run enough rounds through the Glock to make sure it is reliable.

Funny, but I didn't have to run 50 rounds of my preferred carry ammunition through the Model 60 to make sure it would cycle before I started carrying it.

Guillermo
December 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
beag_nut

It is nice of you to give me credit but many have said precisely what I did.

tomrkba
December 5, 2012, 11:53 AM
I have a different reason.

They don't destroy my expensive carry ammunition as a automatic does through bullet setback

This is one of the reasons I like revolvers too. I can load and unload all day long. Dry firing no longer costs $1 every other time.

jamesb
December 5, 2012, 12:57 PM
I shoot revolvers because I do not like to pick up brass.

Vern Humphrey
December 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
I like revolvers for general woods use, because they don't spit out the empty brass. With a revolver, your fired brass is convenitently left in the cylinder.

CraigC
December 5, 2012, 01:13 PM
Because they call to me like no other. Semi-autos can be fun and I have a few but I daydream about sixguns, leverguns and traditional blackpowder guns. Not Glocks.

Guillermo and EVIL said it best and covered every aspect.

Kymasabe
December 5, 2012, 02:51 PM
I like revolvers because of their simplicity and reliability. I had a recent situation where I had to reach for my semi-auto, chambered a round and the gun jammed. Now I'm stuck trying to clear it while trying to maintain situational awareness. At that moment, I was wishing I had one of my revolvers in my hand instead.
I also believe that if you have to reach for your gun, there's no fumbling with safeties to worry about and I've told my wife, if she ever had to, could fire a revolver from inside her purse or jacket pocket. Don't try that with a semi-auto.

Pointshoot
December 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
I like semi-autos and revolvers, but tend to prefer wheelguns. My favorite handgun cartridges include the 45 Colt & 44 Special because they can get the job done without a lot of muzzle blast and recoil. That means using a revolver.
I see most semi-autos as tools. The added power that can be available means that when I'm out doing something I love in the outdoors, I'll often have a revolver with me. -- I also appreciate the quality of workmanship on some of the older revolvers.

WoodchuckAssassin
December 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
The Autos always just seemed to draw more naturally from my belt, and is my first choice for CCW. That being said, I do love wheelguns in the woods and at the range :D

dannewberry
December 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
A lost or damaged magazine renders the semi-auto useless...

With a wheel gun, all you need is the gun itself, and some loose cartridges and you're good to go. :)

dgroff85
December 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
I really like revolvers, there is just something about them that draws me in, these are the latest two I added to the collection::D

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h427/dgroff85/Colt%20King%20Cobra/024.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "why do i like revolvers more than autos? why do you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!