My Latest Sci-Fi Novel Has Been Released!

PDA

Devonai
December 3, 2012, 04:37 PM
My fourth science fiction novel, The Fox and the Eagle, is now available on Amazon in both print format and as an e-book for the Kindle. There was a delay with Amazon's posting this time, but that's been sorted out, and I am proud to make the announcement to the community on THR!

What does this do with guns, you may ask? For those unfamiliar with my writing, my science fiction combines a love of astronomy with a love for contemporary firearms. I think at some point we've all held our favorite firearm, looked in awe and wonder at the starry night sky, and thought, "I'd love to shoot an alien in the face with this." The Fox and the Eagle is a companion to my existing trilogy, but you don't have to be familiar with the others to read it. Here's the logline:

It is the year 2019. Faced with a growing number of unexplained abductions, the CIA assigns Evangeline Adeler to investigate. While researching the latest case, she herself is taken. She finds herself on the Eagle, an asteroid city far from Earth. The citizens deny abducting her, instead blaming a mysterious race known as the Kira'To. After earning her freedom, Eva travels to a nearby planet and enlists the help of Cane, a charismatic freelancer, and Reveki, the youthful owner of the independent vessel Fox. With this new alliance, Evangeline is determined to stop the abductions and find a way home.

Though she was abducted, Evangeline still has access to the firearms and equipment she had on her at the time. Additionally, older Earth weapons appear at time throughout the story, relics of earlier abductions throughout history. Ever since Hamilton Fenix used an M1911 in Heinlein's classic, Beyond This Horizon, I knew I wanted to do something similar in my own writing. I hope you'll check it out. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0741479230

If you enjoyed reading about "My Latest Sci-Fi Novel Has Been Released!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blahpony
December 3, 2012, 04:42 PM
I just finished the second Dune book last night. I was thinking of taking a break from them and letting them settle. So I needed to get another book for tonight. Your timing is excellent. I bought it and I'll give it a whirl.

Skribs
December 3, 2012, 04:50 PM
Congratulations are in order! It's always nice to see someone who shares a common interest with me publishing a book.

Devonai
December 3, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thank you! I appreciate your interest. I'm also going to re-post this thread in the Group Buys section, as directed by the mods.

In order to keep this discussion more on topic, here's a list of all of the contemporary firearms that appear in the book:

AK-74S
Beretta PX4 .40
Makarov PM
M1 Carbine
S&W M1917

If you were traveling into space, what would you take with you? Similarly to the recent discussion on firearms use in a vacuum, how would the special requirements of the environment influence your decision? For the sake of discussion, let's assume that you won't be carrying your full load around all the time, so you could take a lot more than if you were "bugging out."

hso
December 4, 2012, 12:32 AM
If operating in a vacuum I suggest the firearm that produces the least recoil transferring momentum to the user that the projectile would penetrate a vac suit. I don't have to directly kill the enemy to stop them if breaching their suit to vacuum would stop their attack.

Skribs
December 4, 2012, 11:33 AM
One of the nice things about operating in a vacuum would be the lack of air resistance (and, assuming we're talking about space, bullet drop). I'd zero the weapon for a sight plane parallel to the bore and just aim 2 inches high.

JustinJ
December 4, 2012, 12:32 PM
If operating in a vacuum I suggest the firearm that produces the least recoil transferring momentum to the user that the projectile would penetrate a vac suit.

Unless said suit is constructed of self repairing material.

Skribs
December 4, 2012, 02:08 PM
Unless said suit is constructed of self repairing material.

Even then, it would have to repair incredibly fast in a vacuum.

heron
December 4, 2012, 02:11 PM
I think at some point we've all held our favorite firearm, looked in awe and wonder at the starry night sky, and thought, "I'd love to shoot an alien in the face with this." Thanks for the laugh.
I'm working on a SF novel myself, but in mine, most of the bad guys are human, humans abduct aliens, and the aliens have to fight back with inferior technology. The setting is about 140 years in the future, but most weapons are still firearms.
I do want to say that discharging a firearm aboard a spacecraft could be suicidal. I hope you considered that.

Skribs
December 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm working on a SF novel myself, but in mine, most of the bad guys are human, humans abduct aliens, and the aliens have to fight back with inferior technology. The setting is about 140 years in the future, but most weapons are still firearms.

Sounds like an episode of Futurama where Fry realizes that THEY are the invading aliens. Still an interesting idea.

I do want to say that discharging a firearm aboard a spacecraft could be suicidal. I hope you considered that.

Was on an episode of CSI:Miami if I remember right. In the book I'm working on, the ship's outer hulls have powered armor and the "space bullets" are designed like Glaser Safety slugs so people can have gunfights aboard the ships without any issues.

This would also apply to submarines.

I think at some point we've all held our favorite firearm, looked in awe and wonder at the starry night sky, and thought, "I'd love to shoot an alien in the face with this."

I'll admit, I've wondered how the battle for Helm's Deep would have been affected if Aragorn had a couple M240s at his disposal.

Bringing this post back more on topic, in a novel I'm working on, the top sniper from an alien army carries a 1911 instead of the alien electric pistols, because "none of our guns have that trigger." The attitude of that character to use something that I think is archaic, but he's better with, is actually based on one of the mods on this forum.

Devonai
December 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
In all of my stories there has yet to be a firefight aboard a ship. Plenty of ships shoot at each other, and there are tons of fights on planetary surfaces/inside asteroids. There is an engagement on a space station, but I considered it to be far too big for a hull breach to be a serious concern.

Even if there was to be a fight on a ship with one or both sides using conventional firearms, I have established that such measly projectiles would be stopped rather easily by the same material that's responsible for protecting the spacecraft from swiftly-moving micro-meteoroids. But that's just one of many technological conveniences I include in my writing.

Do either of you have anything posted online? I maintained a blog (http://devonai.wordpress.com) for my last novel, posting new chapters as they were created. It makes it easy for people to read, comment, and/or criticize your stuff.

Skribs
December 4, 2012, 03:56 PM
No, I'm pretty selfish with my work until I have it finished. I mean, I'll have it reviewed of course, but once I'm ready to "hand it over" instead of having others help with a work-in-progress.

One of the nice things about writing is that, while you want to be as accurate as possible so people can relate, if something scientific just doesn't work with your story - you can throw it out (or, even better with sci-fi/fantasy, just explain it away as "magic" or "new tech").

larryh1108
December 4, 2012, 09:24 PM
Unasked for opinion.... the pipe has to go. It does not go with the uniform. Just some friendly, unsolicitated advice from a stranger.

Apachedriver
December 4, 2012, 09:35 PM
So what caliber would be recommended for a firefight while doing an EVA? .22 Short? Would that have the penetration needed?

Needless to say, CCW would be out of the question.

OT, I'll have to let my wife know about the book as she's into SciFi.

Devonai
December 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
I think given the bulk of EVA suits and equipment, you might want something with more penetration. A .22 Short to an extremity would probably suffice, but I think the same rules of self-defense shooting would apply out there as it does here on Earth: Center Mass. Thank you for checking out my novel, I hope it's something your wife will like.

Unasked for opinion.... the pipe has to go. It does not go with the uniform.

Wow, really? You are the only one I've ever heard that from in almost eight years of military service. It is still within regulation to smoke in uniform, by the way, as long as you're not in formation or in a designated non-smoking area.

My latest author photo was taken at my best friend's wedding in Milotice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Milotice_-_z%C3%A1mek.JPG), Czech Republic, and is meant to emulate similar photos of GIs in post-war Europe. Also, does this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_MacArthur) perhaps look familiar to you?

Please consider my writing on the merits of my skill as an author.

larryh1108
December 4, 2012, 09:55 PM
Oh, I will judge the skills on the writing. The pipe comment was not meant to hurt or insult, BTW. I'd bet people close to you don't wish to hurt your feelings to say anything if they don't like it. I didn't want to say anything for fear of being taken the wrong way and I don't know you but then I thought that I'd like any feedback, good or bad, if it was me. It was hard to hit send. Perhaps if you were not in your dress uniform it wouldn't have the same effect. I meant no insult.

Devonai
December 4, 2012, 10:01 PM
Ok, I apologize if I was too defensive in my reply. You may be right about how others feel about it, but if they're willing to call me out on my goofy haircut, weird taste in food, and rampant abuse of puns, I think they'd comment truthfully on my pipe, too. :D

heron
December 5, 2012, 02:02 PM
Devonai,

I was just reading some of this, and it looks fairly decent so far, although I think you use a few too many adverbs in your attributes -- not a show-stopper. Great editing: no spelling or punctuation errors up to Chapter 2. It's a sad statement, but I've gotten accustomed to seeing such errors in just about everything these days.

Characterization and dialog are good, and it reads quickly and easily.

As far as the gun-related content, I'd say you almost go into too much detail as far as makes, models, and such, but that's not a show-stopper either.

Nice job!

Skribs
December 5, 2012, 02:43 PM
Heron, I kind of wonder if people on this forum tend to do that, knowing they're going to come here and say "look at mah book!" and then we'll all be like "oh look at teh guns!" I think I've done that in mine; and I know an author that started off here has a gun in his series that's gotten more description than most characters.

Devonai
December 5, 2012, 02:54 PM
Heron, thank you, I appreciate your comments and criticisms. It isn't easy to walk the line between laconic and verbose; I do my best to reign in my adverbs and adjectives, and especially my superlatives. In fact, I even use the word superlative as a superlative as sort of an inside joke to other writers.

As for the editing, I had a good team of volunteers to help, which is essential. I can't claim the entire text is free of errors, but I hope they're minimal.

And, as far as descriptions of firearms, I've received feedback on both ends of the spectrum. This is why Evangeline can only definitively identify one of the weapons - her own pistol. Each of the others is referred to in more general terms, based on the Third Person Limited Omniscient writing style. Originally, I identified all of the weapons exactly (as I did earlier in this thread), but two of my advance readers questioned whether or not Eva had to be a firearms nomenclature expert in addition to her existing skills. So I removed most of the details about the other weapons.

I do go into more detail about aliens weapons, which is a little different since other characters are describing them, not the narrator.

Skribs
December 5, 2012, 03:10 PM
I do go into more detail about aliens weapons, which is a little different since other characters are describing them, not the narrator.

I always find it more interesting to go into detail about the alien weapons, because those you basically have to orient the reader. If I say "MP5" everyone knows I'm talking about the submachine gun, and even if they don't they can look it up. When I talk about kinetic-energy manipulator pistols and particle rifles, well at that point I have to go into a bit of detail to explain what I'm talking about.

Devonai
December 6, 2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, such things are inevitable, really. The trick is doing so in an interesting way, so that the reader doesn't get bored with it.

I'm also pleased to report that Amazon just deeply discounted my novel. This is a good sign, as they don't offer items for less than list unless they're doing well.

blahpony
December 6, 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm a few chapters in so far. I'm liking it a good bit. I do like that alien/space travel action type of sci-fi. So your other books are in that universe? I might check them out when I'm done this one.

Devonai
December 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, the events in Fox run concurrently with those in the Reckless Faith trilogy. If this one does well then then my fifth novel with bring both stories together.

Thanks again for checking out my writing!

trickyasafox
December 9, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'm sold. ordered the kindle version.

JTHunter
December 9, 2012, 11:20 PM
Congrats on the new release Devonai.

Skribs said:One of the nice things about operating in a vacuum would be the lack of air resistance (and, assuming we're talking about space, bullet drop). I'd zero the weapon for a sight plane parallel to the bore and just aim 2 inches high.

Air resistance is only half the equation. You still have to consider gravity as you still have that in orbit or near a star or planet even if not in orbit. They might also have artificial gravity due to centrifugal spin or if the spacecraft is under thrust. Even an asteroid has a "micro-gravity" environment.
Or, depending on the tech level of Evangeline's companions, they may have true AG w/o spin or thrust.

Devonai
December 10, 2012, 12:18 AM
Tricky, thank you for your business! I hope you like it.

JT, artificial gravity is indeed a convenience technology in this book. As for stellar objects and ballistics, I go into more detail on this in the Reckless Faith trilogy than I do in The Fox and the Eagle, but all stellar objects exert gravitational forces on projectiles for which the targeting computer must compensate. The larger the projectile, and the greater the distance, the more pronounced the adjustments.

Arguably more important, however, is whether or not your enemy is simply going to maneuver out of the way of non-guided projectiles before they even arrive. This is why my space battles happen at relatively short ranges. The ships have to be close enough to hit each other, and as long as their FTL drives are working, they can always outrun the engagement entirely. Keeping that in mind, my battles are almost always either mutual combat or between sub-light spacecraft. If a FTL ship is threatened and the crew wants to run, they either get away or I have to come up with a (hopefully not to hokey) reason why they can't run. I.E, "That first shot took out or FTL drive!" Kind of a trope, yes, but done right it can add to the drama and tension.

homatok
December 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
I find it somewhat ---interesting---that this thread is still active when others that I would consider more "on topic" are closed after just a few posts, i.e. the thread on the release of a novel that is “science fiction”. Just saying---!

Devonai
December 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
As a member of this board for almost ten years, I have had the privilege of discussing each of my novels as they've been released. I'm appreciative of the chance to talk about the different firearms I feature, and various forms of firearms-related technology as they relate to the whimsical scenario of space travel.

It's up to the mods to decide whether or not a thread is close enough to the spirit of this forum to remain open. I have never been anything but willing to follow the rules of the forum and I accept any outcome that the mods deem appropriate. I conduct myself as a guest in someone's home.

Skribs
December 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
This forum has been very kind to me as an aspiring sci-fi author, and I've seen the kindness the mods have bestowed on other authors. It's one of the reasons I like THR.

homatok
December 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you for clarifying that. From your answering post(s) I can conclude there are rules within rules, and that is good to know.

trickyasafox
December 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
I finished it today. Entertaining Sci-fi. I have a few questions, but I won't bog this thread down and will instead just send a PM.

Devonai
December 13, 2012, 12:38 AM
Cool! I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Skribs
December 13, 2012, 12:58 AM
I finished it today. Entertaining Sci-fi. I have a few questions, but I won't bog this thread down and will instead just send a PM.

Especially if it's plot-related, probably a good idea to prevent spoiler alerts.

Devonai
December 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
Luke, Wedge, and Han destroy the Death Star and save the Rebel Alliance.

Devonai
December 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
I now have a bunch of copies at home that I can sign, if anyone is interested. They are $12/each shipped to the CONUS.

Devonai
October 23, 2013, 02:42 PM
I'm pleased to announce that my original trilogy is now available for the Kindle. Please check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Reckless-Faith-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00G3NV0HK/

Yeah, but does it have guns, you ask? Here's just a sample of the firearms you'll see in the series:

Beretta 92FS
Colt M1911A1
S&W 625
M1 Garand
SA M1A
Colt M4A1 Carbine
GE GAU 19/A .50
GE GAU 8/A 30mm

And much more! All of the firearms in this series are used in combat (or at least fired in the direction of the enemy). There should be something for everyone. :)

If you liked The Fox and the Eagle, please check it out.

rockhopper46038
October 23, 2013, 02:53 PM
Love science fiction, congratulations OP and I'll give it a go!

Devonai
October 23, 2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!

theotherwaldo
October 23, 2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Devonai. I just bought all four of your books for my Kindle. This should give me something fun to read while I'm out doing job interviews.
I joined the ever-expanding ranks of the unemployed on Monday.

Devonai
October 23, 2013, 11:57 PM
Thank you. If you want to get into the action immediately, start with The Fox and the Eagle. If you prefer more of a slow burn, start with Reckless Faith. Both stories have a lot of action, but the stuff doesn't really hit the fan in Reckless Faith until book two.

Good luck with your job search. I got hit by the government shutdown and laid off earlier this month,which is one reason I had the time to do the Kindle conversion for the trilogy. Hopefully both of us will be back to work soon!

ArMagoo
October 24, 2013, 01:04 AM
I read Beyond the horizon a few years back and liked it quite a bit. I will give yours a shot! Congratulations by the way!

Devonai
October 24, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thank you, I hope you enjoy it. Heinlein was a great author even if his stuff got a little, uh, weird in his later years.

Red Wind
October 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Good going. To be a published writer is a fine achievement.

Devonai
October 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
Thank you, Red Wind. And thank you to everyone who bought a copy over the last two days, it was a very successful rollout.

ourichie
October 25, 2013, 08:39 AM
Ordered te kindle version. Just about finished reading Harry Turtledove's World War series for about the 15th time so I'll give it a whirl.

blahpony
October 25, 2013, 08:55 AM
I picked up the new one. It's next on my list to read.

Devonai
November 2, 2013, 10:20 PM
Thank you, gentlemen, I hope you enjoy the books!

The first twelve days have proven to be very successful. As a self-published author, every sale means a lot to me. This time dozens of people have decided to give the book a try, and it has been very encouraging. Please tell your friends, and if you really liked it, please post a review on Amazon.com. Every little bit helps!

double bogey
November 2, 2013, 11:40 PM
Got all 4 on kindle. Good read(s). When does the 5th come out?

Devonai
November 2, 2013, 11:55 PM
I'm very glad you like my work! A fifth novel is inevitable, but it is debatable as to whether it will be a continuation of the existing trilogy and companion novel, or something else entirely. Having done so much world-building already, it would be far more challenging to strike off with a wholly original work.

Doing a fifth book in the Reckless Faith series is something I want to do, but the sales numbers haven't suggested that would be the best expenditure of my creative energy. We shall see.

k80
November 3, 2013, 05:40 PM
FWIW, Heinlein's character is "Hamilton Felix."
I'll have to give your books a try.

Devonai
November 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
:uhoh:

Thank you for correcting me! I'll have to have a word with my editor. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "My Latest Sci-Fi Novel Has Been Released!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!