223 convert to 223 AI

PDA

ExAgoradzo
December 3, 2012, 08:16 PM
What should I be looking at in cost to convert a Mini 14?

Is this simply a change in the chamber or are there other things that need to happen?

Would shooting normal 223 ammo be made much less accurate after this change?

What else might you do to accurize a Mini 14 w/o buying a new gun ;).

Thanks,
Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "223 convert to 223 AI" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
40 rod
December 3, 2012, 08:23 PM
I have been wondering the same about 6x45 to 6x45AI.

rcmodel
December 3, 2012, 08:42 PM
You will not gain anything converting a Mini-14 to AE except a straighter case that may or may not feed as well from a standard magazine.

Don't do it.

rc

esheato
December 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
I've got a 223 AI, in a bolt action. I would not do it in a semi for the reasons listed above.

You're trying to dress up a pig...love the pig for being a pig. In other words, and I've owned a Mini-14, love it for what it is or sell it.

Edit: No offense intended, but they're ranch rifles, and gilt edged accuracy isn't required for ranch duties.

ExAgoradzo
December 3, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks RC.
Also thanks esheato. Ironically, when I did an internet search I saw that you were a part of a discussion re: 223 AI back in 2006...I agree with what you say about the mini-14.
I do like my mini-14, and I like it for what it is. The original ranch rifle (I checked it is literally one of the first year's models) is a fun gun so long as you just want to bang away with the boys at our friend's ranch. The newer one will put respectable groups at 100 yards (I get them to 2-2.5" when I am really doing my part).
I am considering a 22cf (you can see the posts on the rifle country and I'd love your comments). Then I was looking on the net and remembered the whole AI thing and started wondering about that. If I am able to get a bolt action at a reasonable cost, if doing the AI trick isn't too much and it doesn't distort my ability to shoot plain ole' 223s then I very well may do it.
Thanks again: the issue regarding feeding is exactly the kind of comment I was looking for.
Greg

Jim Watson
December 3, 2012, 11:02 PM
A PROPER conversion to an AI requires setting the barrel back to get a clean chamber with the same headspace as stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "223 convert to 223 AI" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!