28" barrel on 870.

PDA

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hello as of right now my 870 home defense gun has a 28 inch barrel. I installed a choate mag tube extension that now holds 9 rounds in the tube with one in the chamber. The mag tube comes about 1 inch short of being flush with the barrel. I have since decided that I want a shorter barreled gun for in the house, but I don't want to put it on this 870 because I don't want the mag tube sticking out 8 inches past the barrel, lol. I'll probably just buy another 870 and build it into a lightweight short gun.

So that got me to thinking about using this gun as a dedicated slug gun, wouldn't that be about the best thing for it? Shouldn't I get better accuracy and increased velocity out of the longer barrel vs. a shorter one just like a rifle? Or do rifled slugs not work like that? I do want to stick with the smooth bore barrel and rifled slugs, that way I can still go to buckshot if needed. What do yall think about this logic? thanks for any info.

If you enjoyed reading about "28" barrel on 870." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PapaG
December 3, 2012, 07:28 PM
Before you get too far, try that barrel with several of the " common" rifled slugs (not sabot slugs". I'll go out on a limb and bet you will find the Federal Truballs will work best followed by the original Brennekes. Hopefully you have a mod or imp cyl choke but a full won't be hurt. If it will stay inside 2 1/2 inches at fifty yards, I'd call it a winner. Some will do even better, some much worse.

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 07:38 PM
Its got the interchangeable modified choke in it. I'd like to be inside of 8" at 100 yards and I'd be happy.

Black Knight
December 3, 2012, 09:49 PM
I believe Remington recently cam out with an 870 Express home defense shotgun. You may want to check out Remington's website. Why go to the trouble to build the gun if one already exists? Also If youi do decide to build one, the Wingmaster with a 20 smooth bore rifle sight barrel makes a good starting point. All you would need is a 3 round magazine extension. If you need more ammo in the gun than that you are in deep trouble and probably need an AR or something similar.

Fred Fuller
December 3, 2012, 10:39 PM
Barrel length in and of itself isn't likely to make much difference in the velocity or accuracy of slugs. It helps with wingshooting, in keeping the swing going, but even there it won't likely affect velocity or patterning.

Why not just get an 18.5" or 20" smoothbore 870 barrel with rifle sights?

JBrady555
December 3, 2012, 11:03 PM
because I already have a 28" smoothbore I guess. If I shorten the barrel then my mag extension is going to stick out way past my barrel

DNS
December 3, 2012, 11:26 PM
Yeah, i changed a few things on my 870 and now its a dedicated long barrel hunter. I picked up a 18.5" Pardner Protector at Wally for home defense.

I see no reason to make a single shotgun fill all the roles needed. Plus it just wouldn't be any fun would it?

Fred Fuller
December 4, 2012, 12:20 AM
Did you marry that magazine extension, or just buy it? :D

Try the 870 with no magazine extension and a short barrel (18-20") for a while - you might be surprised.

If you enjoyed reading about "28" barrel on 870." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!