New (to Me) online gun source

PDA

Pancho
December 4, 2012, 01:17 AM
Recently I discovered armslist.com. It is just like craigslist but for firearms. They break it down by state and categories like muzzleloaders, modern rifles,etc. Great browsing when your bored.

If you enjoyed reading about "New (to Me) online gun source" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wap41
December 4, 2012, 02:00 AM
You have to be carefull on some of those sites,anyone can place an add you have no feed backs or previous dealings with others to judge by.Only about a week ago someone was running a scam and copied an add from another site to sell a gun they didn't even own.Also I just bought a gun from a Tim Wilbur in Iowa,I payed his asking price and got him a cashiers check in the mail the same day.About a week and a half later I got my check back.He took it to a gun show after selling it to me and found someone that gave him more for it.So becareful.

frontiergander
December 4, 2012, 02:32 AM
hey you got your money back. Sucks he sold it out from under you but he didnt rip you off and take off with the money.

arcticap
December 4, 2012, 02:34 AM
Armslist once had a discontinued NIB muzzle loader listed that I really wanted. When asked, the seller wouldn't simply sell it outright and ship it to me. But the ad did say that he was interested in trades. So I described guns to him that I was willing to trade for it until he asked me to send him a gun directly without first shipping it to an FFL to do a legal transfer. He said that it wasn't worth it for him to travel to the nearest FFL and then pay for the FFL fees since he was rural. After I kept telling him that I wouldn't ship it to him directly he said the gun I wanted was going back into his safe. He wanted me to do an illicit gun trade and that was the end of that attempt to negotiate a deal.
However I did buy another discontinued unfired muzzle loader from a seller on Armslist who was a really nice guy. He was very honest and it worked out very well. I think that it really helps to speak with the person on the phone rather than to only have contact through emails.
I've talked with sellers on the phone for up to an hour at times which gives both parties a chance to become very well acquainted. Not always for that long but sometimes. You can often tell by the age and story of a person and where they're from if they're basically honest or not.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 4, 2012, 04:39 PM
Also ask for their address and type it in Google Maps and you can see the
house they live in. Lots of scammers on Armslist. I once bought a rife off of
there, a muzzleloader, and it came wrapped in dirty dipers. :eek:

OrangePwrx9
December 5, 2012, 05:19 PM
I use Armslist for local face-to-face buys. It has worked well for that.

hAkron
December 6, 2012, 11:13 PM
I too have bought several guns from listings on arms list. Always face to face, and somewhere public. I've had great luck with armslist, but you know, you have to watch your back.

Steel Horse Rider
December 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
I have also bought a couple of guns I saw on armslist but the listings tend to be priced on the high end to me, some unrealistically so. I don't think I would buy one from it sight unseen though. Too much opportunity for malfeasance.

Busyhands94
December 6, 2012, 11:57 PM
I bought a little .32 off Armslist, it seemed like a pretty good site. Even though I only bought one gun, no complaints whatsoever and nothing in the box but a gun and some paper. :D

Phil... I'm going to have to assume you meant to type "diapers" instead of dippers. That's just unsanitary! (Assuming you meant to type what I thought you did.)

Reminds me of this one time where I was buying some tools off Ebay and getting some cigarette butts, a scratched lotto ticket, and a nasty surprise in the box... no comment on what it was. But I will say it was what you'd use to prevent you from having a need for diapers. :barf: :cuss: I emailed the guy, he said that he got the box and paper from behind the dumpster near his apartment. Gross!!!

Pancho
December 7, 2012, 12:23 AM
So far I've only looked at guns within driving distance. I'm too spooked about buying sight unseen on armslist at least on Ebay the sellers have history to check.

towboat_er
December 7, 2012, 01:28 AM
I've bought from there. But only face to face.

DammitBoy
December 7, 2012, 09:12 AM
I'm considering a long distance purchase on Armslist and trying to decide if it's worth the risk. It's two pistol magazines, but they are not cheap.

What would you suggest to try to minimize the risk of getting scammed?

a) get a phone number and talk to the guy.
b) get his home address and google map the address.
c) ?

wap41
December 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
Both

Busyhands94
December 7, 2012, 03:43 PM
You can do a background check, reckon it's only $1-$2 to view someone's public records. You could also Google search their name. If it were me, I wouldn't want to buy a cap and ball revolver from someone accused/convicted of burglary. Not for any amount of money.

hAkron
December 7, 2012, 06:16 PM
I agree with the others that its probably not wise to do anything other than a face to face in a public place transaction.

arcticap
December 9, 2012, 03:20 AM
What would you suggest to try to minimize the risk of getting scammed?

a) get a phone number and talk to the guy.
b) get his home address and google map the address.
c) ?

If he has a land line phone you can do a reverse phone number look up.
You can Google his name to see if he there's any public postings with his name.
You can do a free people search by Zaba Search:

http://www.zabasearch.com/

You can ask for photos of the item.
You can ask him for references such as to see if he's been a long time member of a website or has a record of sales, postings or classified ads anywhere with feedback.
Or you can ask for a copy of a photo ID showing the address of where the check will be sent.
If it's any consolation, even a person's IP address and emails can be traced by the authorities through an ISP.
You can ask him if he has a verified Paypal account to make the payment through which would mean that he has a bank account registered with Paypal.
Unfortunately, it still often boils down to trust and gut instinct.
Most people are honest but that doesn't mean that there aren't scammers, but that's a very small minority of sellers.
If a person feels too suspicious about sending money interstate and about not doing business face to face, then by all means don't look for interstate deals on the internet. There will always be a risk, and it's the weight of the risk that needs to be commensurate to the value of the item. If the item were easily available locally then you wouldn't be looking to buy it on the internet.
So if nothing is ventured then nothing can be gained.
Sure the money can be lost. But in the overall analysis, the amount of the money risked probably isn't a fortune either. Don't risk it if you're leery but there's also a saying: "Don't let fear stop you from fulfilling your dreams", or in this case "your needs". :)

If you enjoyed reading about "New (to Me) online gun source" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!