Ruger Old Army -puzzlement

PDA

Wolfebyte
December 4, 2012, 07:16 AM
I recently acquired a Ruger Old Army..

it's kinda rough, but shows that it's been shot and carried, not a safe queen.

from the 140 serial number it shows that it was made in 1977, before the days of the billboard warning all over the barrel..

It came as is.. no box, no wrench.. the grips have been swapped out with Hogue grips... but an interesting hammer.

Mine is skeletonized with 4 holes.. 2 smaller toward the spur, a larger one in the apex and a smaller one just below it..

no markings on the hammer.. Is this an aftermarket or obscure stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Old Army -puzzlement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAKtical
December 4, 2012, 07:23 AM
Pics...

Wolfebyte
December 4, 2012, 07:39 AM
I put a white card behind the hammer.. make it more visible.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j125/TxLobo/IMG_0379.jpg

J-Bar
December 4, 2012, 07:41 AM
Blasphemy!

rodwha
December 4, 2012, 08:31 AM
I think someone did that in their garage. The holes aren't centered or spaced very well except for the lowest one.

wap41
December 4, 2012, 09:39 AM
Wierd,but like you said it's no safe queen so just enjoy the heck out of shooting it

ivankerley
December 4, 2012, 10:36 AM
is there any reason, wrongheaded or otherwise a person would do this?
gene

arcticap
December 4, 2012, 10:49 AM
A lighter hammer would speed up the forward hammer movement.
Similar to using a lighter bat in baseball which would increase the bat speed.

J-Bar
December 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
The guy who skeletonized this hammer also thought it looks cool to hold his ROA canted 90 degrees while shooting it...

Mk VII
December 4, 2012, 02:06 PM
I had enough failures to fire without depriving the hammer of momentum.

ROAshooter
December 4, 2012, 02:10 PM
I agree ...this was a garage/drillpress/homestyle mod.... some who are inexperinced with the ROA.....the misfires of percussion caps...leads some to think a faster strike will cure a misstake in seating the caps fully

arcticap
December 4, 2012, 02:29 PM
Here's excerpts from a thread about installing skeletonized hammers on Ruger double action pistols that are used in IDPA competition.

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/reply/58259/Re-Stock-modified-hammer#.UL5LXSBnHT4

A lighter hammer moves a litter faster which allows you to run a little lighter spring tension and still get good ignition with a little less trigger pull.

Chuck over on the Ruger forum guys have done it to their GP-100's. I, like you, would just grind off the hammer spur or buy a spurless hammer. I tried going to a lighter spring on my Ruger but ran into light hammer strikes and that can be a killer in our game. Fast and reloads don't go in the same sentence when I shoot revolver.

Take Care

Bob

And here's another excerpt about the reason for installing a skeletonized hammer and wanting a faster lock time on 1911's.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=123886

"No human being can tell the difference in lock time "

Maybe a human cannot tell, but the target sure can show a difference. Try shooting a precision 10 Meter air pistol & you'll see that lock time matters.

A simply skeletonized hammer might not have much effect, but a hammer like the Koenig speed hammer will. Koenig knows what works. Reduced lock time works when it comes to fine accuracy work.

Regards,

D.

AbitNutz
December 4, 2012, 04:11 PM
Clearly they're a natural Phenomenon...like crop circles or the holes in Swiss cheese.

arcticap
December 4, 2012, 04:25 PM
The previous owner left enough room for a few more holes! :p

mykeal
December 4, 2012, 04:31 PM
Looks like mice or rats to me.

Wolfebyte
December 4, 2012, 04:40 PM
ok, ok...

Now the panel of experts had concluded that it's not stock, not factory, evidently user customized..

who has parts in which I can replace it with? ...

(tough crowd...)

wap41
December 4, 2012, 04:45 PM
parts assortment on ebay now.do search on ruger old army.

Lunie
December 4, 2012, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if it functions correctly. Unless you just don't like the looks of it anymore. :p

The guy who skeletonized this hammer also thought it looks cool to hold his ROA canted 90 degrees while shooting it...
I thought all the really cool kids rotated theirs 180*.

T Bran
December 4, 2012, 06:42 PM
You could always fill the holes in with lead.
It may take a little longer to get there but it would really knock the starch out of some caps.
Filling the holes in with brass and mirror polishing would be awful pretty though.
Where others see problems I sometimes see potential.
In this case I may need to have my eyes checked.
Luck.

Mk VII
December 4, 2012, 06:49 PM
Ruger have ceased selling parts for the OA, except in repairs they do themselves.

wap41
December 4, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ruger informed me about a week ago they no longer have any parts or do any repairs on ruger old army's

4v50 Gary
December 4, 2012, 11:15 PM
I'd find drill rod, cut it to length, file and then solder them in place.

rodwha
December 5, 2012, 12:39 AM
Is it giving you problems?

Wolfebyte
December 5, 2012, 08:55 AM
Rodwha,

not really.. just aesthetic purposes I guess.. entertaining some different thoughts about the ROA.. smooth out the scratches and dings, stretch the trigger guard to facilitate a gloved hand.. Not sure I I want to go back with the caustic blue or look at some of the newer choices.. Duracoat, Cerakoat perhaps?

AbitNutz
December 5, 2012, 09:29 AM
Your best bet is to see if David Clement has a "take off" hammer from one of his ROA projects.

VA27
December 5, 2012, 11:16 PM
Pretty bad case of 'hammer worm' you got there. Any idea what'll kill 'em?

arcticap
December 6, 2012, 12:06 AM
The circles look like they've been arranged to somewhat resemble "double 8's".
And among some circles (pun intended), particularly in Germany where Nazi symbols are outlawed, double 8's are associated with a code for the eighth letter in the alphabet or "HH" which stands for "Heil Hitler". :neener:

88 (number)

As a Neo-Nazi symbol

Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as a code to represent the slogan Heil Hitler.[3] The letter H is eighth in the alphabet, so 88 is meant to stand for HH.....
....Examples of usage include: the song "88 rock'n'roll band" by the neo-Nazi band Landser, and the names of the groups Column 88, Unit 88, White Legion 88 and Barselc88. Holocaust museum shooter James von Brunn often signed his writings as "JVB-88."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(number)

More info.:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/the-truth-about-88-new-book-reveals-secret-meaning-of-neo-nazi-codes-a-770820.html

Wolfebyte
December 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
Oh Great...

I have a Mauser with Nazi markings and now I have an American Ruger that wants to be a Luger...

LOL...

Thanks guys! ...

crazyjennyblack
December 6, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hehe.... use Bondo! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Old Army -puzzlement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!