Weatherby SA-08

PDA

Saddlebag Preacher
December 4, 2012, 11:52 AM
Before dove season I posted a thread about buying a new semiauto 12 ga and was discussing the Mossberg and Remington from Walmart. I have a limited budget, but had given my regular semiauto to my nephew.

I instead ended up buying the synthetic Weatherby SA-08 for under $450.00 because it seemed to mount my shoulder faster. It has a longer barrel than my previous gun and you do need to change out the valves for light or heavy loads, but that doesn't bother me.

I just wanted to report that it has been an excellent gun for me so far. I was hitting more doves this year, popped a few squrriels with it and am now going out tomorrow turkey hunting.

I know you can't get all the "cool" accessories for it and it doesn't have aftermarket barrels, but for an all around hunting gun, it seems to be a real good value. Great trigger and soft recoil. It's made in Turkey.

Just wondered if anyone else has one and how they like it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Weatherby SA-08" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
red rick
December 4, 2012, 05:53 PM
I bought one a few weeks ago. I like the fit & feel of it, very light. I went with the 28" barrel because it swung & pointed better for me. I have only shot buckshot in mine so far and the recoil isn't bad for such a light shotgun. My Browning kicks a lot harder with 2 3/4" shells. Clean up is very easy also.

Your trigger might be better than mine. Mine is ok but not great, it's a little on the heavy side, not gritty or a lot of slack though.

I have not been able to get a good pattern with buckshot yet. After trying the factory chokes I went to a local gunsmith and have tried 2 of his own chokes. Still not what I am looking for yet. His father passed away so I am now trying chokes from Trulock. The first one in extra full wasn't any better so I am waiting for one in full to come in and try this week.

Black Knight
December 4, 2012, 10:19 PM
A guy at work has one on the office network and not being familiar with it I googled it. There seems to be a safety recall. It has to do with the trigger group and some parts that can become loose creating a situation for an accidental discharge. You may wish to google Weatherby SA-08 recall to see if yours is involved in the recall.

red rick
December 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up Black Knight.

I checked the recall and mine is an affected one by the serial number.

They were manufactured from 06-01-2010 to 02-28-2011.

Serial # AD06825 - AD13793

I just bought mine new from a local GS 3 weeks ago. I see now why it was on sale.

It seems like Weatherby would have contacted me about this recall when I registered it with them. They did send me a nice letter thanking me for my purchase and comments. I am not happy about this lack of communication at all. It also seems like they should have contacted the dealer. Maybe they did and it has been corrected, but I will call the Dealer and Weatherby tomorrow.

Saddlebag Preacher
December 5, 2012, 12:27 AM
I just checked my ser # and it's AD156XXX so I guess I got the fixed one....Thanks for the heads up.

hoghunting
December 5, 2012, 04:45 PM
Mine must be an early one with serial # AD00XXX, guess that's why I wasn't notified. Have used mine the last 3 dove seasons and have been very happy with its performance. With a 26" barrel in 12 ga it is easy to maneuver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Weatherby SA-08" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!