Carrying with a decocker - new to me

PDA

utbrowningman
December 4, 2012, 02:12 PM
Just bought a Browning Pro-9 (FNP-9) with three 16 round mags and one 10 round mag. It has the decocker and the ability to pull the hammer slightly back and lock - similiar to my old Marlin Model 1893 safety. With this setup, can I carry loaded with the decocker up and the hammer 1/4 of the way back? This is referred to as 'cocked and locked'? I'm new to this function on a handgun so I have questions. Be kind.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying with a decocker - new to me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
December 4, 2012, 02:27 PM
I believe this gun allows you to carry "cocked and locked," yes, but the hammer is not "1/4 of the way back," it would be all the way back, as would the trigger. I think what you're describing is the gun being in its double action mode, plus the safety engaged.

armoredman
December 4, 2012, 02:36 PM
On a CZ pistol that's referred to as half cock, and the CZ decocking system is designed to drop the hammer to that position, makes the DA pull easier. I carry all my pistols on this half cock notch.

Zoogster
December 4, 2012, 02:49 PM
It depends on the gun. Some are mechanically safer than others when using a decocker.
Always consider using the decocker a dangerous act and have the gun pointed in a safe direction.
I would also guide the hammer down and not just let it drop, it is safer and puts less wear on the parts meant to stop it.

SwampWolf
December 4, 2012, 02:56 PM
I would also guide the hammer down and not just let it drop, it is safer and puts less wear on the parts meant to stop it

I have to disagree with this advice. Yes, always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction when deploying the decocker but I would never try to "help" the hammer down while decocking. Most, if not all, decockers are designed to drop the hammer without any further assistance from the user.

The Lone Haranguer
December 4, 2012, 02:57 PM
delete

Urban_Redneck
December 4, 2012, 03:17 PM
I politely suggest you get some professional training.

Fishbed77
December 4, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have to disagree with this advice. Yes, always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction when deploying the decocker but I would never try to "help" the hammer down while decocking. Most, if not all, decockers are designed to drop the hammer without any further assistance from the user.

My thoughts exactly. There is no need to "ride" the hammer when decocking. Just point in a safe direction and decock.

EBK
December 4, 2012, 11:04 PM
What you are describing sounds like the hammer is in the half cock position.

The way that pistol was designed to be carried is loaded chamber then drop hammer using decocker leaving the pistol loded in double action mode with a heavier trigger pull with all following shots single action.

Cocked and locked would be hammer back safety on.

I dont think this model has a thumb safety just a decocker.

Bovice
December 5, 2012, 08:59 PM
Modern decockers are safe to use... they don't activate the disconnector. For example, look at SIG decockers/trigger setups. The trigger bar has to move and hit the disconnect. The decocker leaves that out of the process. It's mechanically impossible to fire a round with the decocker.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying with a decocker - new to me" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!