Carcano Help

PDA

wolfen1949
December 4, 2012, 02:56 PM
How do you remove the bayonet hanger on a 1937 Calvalry carbine? I have removed the screw in the side but thing still will not move.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carcano Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
No idea.

But I would look for a pin, finished smooth with the band so it is barely visible.

I would also suspect it might be soft soldered on like many military sight bands.

If you can't find a pin, heat it up smoking hot with a propane torch and see if you can drive it off.

rc

desidog
December 5, 2012, 12:19 PM
They were made in three different factories in about 7 or 8 different variations. All similar, but not interchangeable.

The main difference is whether the front sight blade is attached to the bayonet hinge block or to the barrel itself.

Some have a cross screw behind the front sight/base, which was soldered onto the barrel. Others have a cross pin (or screw) that goes through the block and barrel...

If your sight is attached to the block; leave it in place. It's not worth the effort... Unless you want to grind it down and end the collector value of the gun.

Otherwise; it's been on there for 75 years...might need to heat it with a propane torch to break the rust bond in there, and then tap it off with a mallet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carcano Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!