Slug Guns

PDA

horsemen61
December 4, 2012, 04:15 PM
what makes a good slug gun in your mind?

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HiWayMan
December 4, 2012, 04:30 PM
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Basic no-frills working gun. Accurate to 100yds+.

horsemen61
December 4, 2012, 04:37 PM
Let me rephrase that what components do you think are needed to make a good slug gun rifled barrel,smooth barrel, foster slugs, rifled slugs,scope,or open sights.

Gregaw
December 4, 2012, 04:45 PM
For me? I want long range accuracy (for a shotgun anyway) for as cheap as possible. So I agree with HiWayMan and went with a the break-action H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. It has what I need; a fully rifled barrel, a scope mount, and a cheap price tag. I do have to feed it expensive sabot slugs, but I shoot very few rounds through it so the ammo cost is not a big deal.

Centurian22
December 4, 2012, 04:55 PM
Rifled barrel with sabot slugs for best accuracy at longest distances (supposedly out to 200yarda), smooth bore with rifled slugs are good to at least 50 sometimes 100yards. I have an Ithaca 37 deerslayer smooth bore slug gun and love it.

Kingcreek
December 4, 2012, 05:21 PM
I shot a deer two days ago with a 40 year old Ithaca deer slayer. It worked just fine, popped and dropped at 55 yards. Perfect enough for me!

Jason_W
December 4, 2012, 06:12 PM
If shots are going to be inside 100 yards, I'm not sure a rifled barrel and an optic is really needed.

Or maybe I just lucked out with the gun I got.

AI&P Tactical
December 4, 2012, 07:08 PM
The point being missed about the qualtiy optics is the fact it extends your hunting time when deer are the most active.

Last year I took a deer when all I could see was a dark shape with the neaked eye. However, when I put that Leupold VR II on it things lit up like full day light and saw a fine 8 point and took the shot. And yes, filled my tag and was home hanging him by 7:50 am.

So for a slug gun with a rifled barrel I would consider quality optic as important as on a rifle. I am 60 and as I age the amount of light I need has increased. Getting those few minutes first thing in the morning and as night comes on can make the difference in filling a tag or not. Had I not had quality glass on that moring that Buck was gone as he was about to step down into a revene and off the land I was hunting.

27hand
December 4, 2012, 11:57 PM
I have a 12 ga. Ithaca M87 Featherlight Deerslayer purchased in 88.

I chose to get a 20" bbl as I knew I would be hunting close in some pretty thick stuff.

I put a cheap Simmons 3X9 on it. At that time, I had no extra money and was somewhat concerned about the 12 ga beating up a scope. It's still on there although I would give advice to get quality glass.

So, barrel length, rifled/smooth, slugs or sabots, glass or irons. I'd say those are the primary considerations.

I read on these boards that some guys have taken shots to 200 yds but have as yet to see targets showing that this is a viable range or that it can be repeated consistantly.

I have used numerous sabots and settled on Rem copper solids although Lightfields group a little closer at 100 (2 shot groups just over an inch at 100).
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/poofy27/Targets%20and%20steel%20pics/100_0235.jpg

Last years target. 2 shot group with Rem copper solids.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/poofy27/Targets%20and%20steel%20pics/004-3.jpg

planetmobius
December 5, 2012, 01:50 AM
Browning A5 with a rifled barrel and open sights.

JFtheGR8
December 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and a cheap Tasco red dot. It works well. Sure it's not the best slug gun but I can switch barrels and hunt upland game after sitting in a tree all morning. I like the utility of it.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!