Armi Sport 1874 Sharps

PDA

WALKERs210
December 4, 2012, 04:25 PM
Stopped at a pawn/gun shop that I have not been to in a long time. I know the manager and after all the small talk I asked what long guns she had that I might be interested in. Well there in the rack behind counter was an Armi-Sport 1874 45-50, in as close to perfect condition as you could ask for and priced what I think was fair $600.00. Now the problem is I really don't need it but if others think the asking price is fair I would love to see it hanging in one of the gun racks here at home.

If you enjoyed reading about "Armi Sport 1874 Sharps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
duelist1954
December 4, 2012, 04:31 PM
I'm testing an Armi Sport Sharps for a Guns of the Old West article right now. I like it, and I think $600 is a really good deal.

Go for it!

WALKERs210
December 4, 2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for your opinion, I felt it was a fair price at the time, came home and decided to post here and fall back on the Blue Book for Guns. The book gave a good starting point and before the pawn/gun shop closed today I called and basically had the manager take it off shelf to the general public. Hopefully tomorrow night I will have it here and have to start a search for ammo for it. With some of my health issues I am somewhat leaning into having a few rounds hand loaded with a smaller charge to keep from breaking my wore out body.

loose noose
December 7, 2012, 10:46 PM
WALKERs 210, I've got a 45-70 Sharps in the Armi-Sport, and it is extremely accurate, are you sure it is 45-50? On mine I had installed a Creedmore set of sights. With old aging eyes I can consistently hit a steel popper which measures 36"X24" at 300 yards with no problem.:D

WALKERs210
December 8, 2012, 12:27 AM
Got me to thinking and that is a dangerous thing. The best I remember it was the 45-50, but with my C.R.S. don't hold me to it. Think I have just about talked myself out of getting the Sharps, went back to store and did a closer exam of overall condition. For the most part it is in excellent condition until I looked at the butt plate, according to the manager of Pawn/Gun shop the owner had butt down in floor board of his old ragged pickup, it rained and don't know how long he left it but the rusting and serious pitting would require a new plate or a lot of work to handle the pitting. Also when you operate the lever to open access to breech it is not major hard but it does have resistance that requires a little more effort. I think before I bought it I would want to take it apart to see if rust is any where else.

BHP FAN
December 8, 2012, 08:21 AM
that's what I paid for my .54 ''paper-cutter''...

BCRider
December 8, 2012, 02:12 PM
Armi Sport is related to Chiappa. I've got an Armi Sport flinter here that looks FANTASTIC on the outside. But sadly the design and execution of the action lockwork is pitiable. The mainspring was secured by a very small welded on tab into a hole. At least it was until it snapped off from using the gun a few times. They did not see fit to use a bridal plate on the sear drum so there's also only one pivot point and the play relies on a precise fit of the hammer. But there's still too much play. And on top of that the half cock notch lip sticks out further than the full cock notch. So unless I pul the trigger rather sharply it sticks into the half cock notch instead of falling and firing properly.

All in all it's a fine looking wall hanger that will require replacement of the action before it can become an actual firearm.

I've also talked to our resident Cowboy Action gunsmith on the topic of Chiappa and Armi Sport. He cringes each time one comes in the door for much the same reasons I found. They look great on the outside but are sadly lacking and full of shortcuts on the inside.

Yes there are some which will be fine. But it seems like it's a bit of a gamble. In addition to my own first hand experience and in talking with our CAS 'smith there's lots of stories on the web that are both good and bad. For my part I'm avoiding them like the plague for now until and unless they smarten up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Armi Sport 1874 Sharps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!