Bolt for a bolt-less Chinese M-53?

PDA

ApacheCoTodd
December 4, 2012, 06:53 PM
A friend gave me a Chicom M-53 - seems it says 1954 on it - mostly out of his own personal disgust with the rifle's condition.

It had a near permanently extended bayonet, no bolt and appeared to be hosting land based barnacles.

After soaking the bayonet collar it slipped right away and folded smoothly.
10-12 minutes of brake cleaner and G-96 and I found it to have a surprisingly good chamber, bore and muzzle and even the wood presents as only very ugly now as opposed to down right hideous.

So - I'm sitting and looking at it and thinking how much I'd like to make a Mannlicher styled, pig-Mulee, scout carbine out of it but am not too sure as to the options for a bolt to order. A couple-three fellas at the last gun show said Century turn-down but there were equal numbers of scoffs at this option and given my experience with Century in the past I'm a bit skeered to go there unless folk have good news about this route (Century turn-down).

Otherwise, M-44 bolts complete, options please?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bolt for a bolt-less Chinese M-53?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fatcat4620
December 4, 2012, 08:19 PM
It will need to be head spaced
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/39/products_id/208

ApacheCoTodd
December 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the link Cat - got the head spacing covered too.

Ian
December 5, 2012, 12:20 AM
FWIW, the Chinese carbine is named the Type 53. The M44 is the Russian version. China wanted guns and the Russians didn't want to give them the real state-of-the-art stuff, so they sent tooling for Mosin Nagant carbines.

ApacheCoTodd
December 5, 2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks Ian. Of course it says that right on the receiver - oops.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bolt for a bolt-less Chinese M-53?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!