Another "is this a good deal" thread

PDA

Ryano
December 4, 2012, 07:16 PM
I have an acquaintance with a Ruger M77 Mark II rifle for sale in 7mm rem magnum. It has a stainless barrel and a stained wood stock. The gun also comes with a Tasco w416x40ST scope.

This would be my first non-ar type rifle, and I really do not know what to look for other than the obvious slight cosmetic blemishes on the stock. The guy wants $540 for the gun, scope, and 20 rounds of new federal ammunition. Any input to the price would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other obvious mechanical things I should look at before purchasing. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "is this a good deal" thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cal74
December 4, 2012, 07:48 PM
Not great, but not bad.

Presume somebody stuck it in a walnut stock. Probably started out life in a boat paddle stock (Ruger Skeleton).

Scope doesn't really ad any value to the deal, if it's a Tasco made in Japan they really aren't bad scopes though.

Figure 25-30.00 bucks for the box of ammo

Triggers are usually HEAVY on Rugers, but easily re-worked if you have any mechanical ability. If you can operate a screw driver, you can at least put a new spring in which will drop the trigger weight a pound pretty easy.

Check the crown for any obvious damage and a good once over, not much can go wrong.

Ryano
December 4, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the input. After comparing pics online, I believe the stock is "laminated brown". Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the crown? Would this be the face of the bolt? There appears to be a slight ring around the face of the bolt. I did not have the opportunity to scrub it with a brass brush, but it may have just been dirty. The trigger is heavy, but breaks clean.

ExAgoradzo
December 4, 2012, 08:47 PM
I would take it! Then I'd use the first round he gave me to shoot the Tasco scope.
Greg

cal74
December 4, 2012, 09:56 PM
The crown is the end of the barrel where the rifling exits, you want to make sure it's not dinged up and is nice and sharp essentially. It's not a huge deal to have a rifle re-crowned, but something to look for.

Slight ring around the bolt face is normal, just where the case meets the bolt or at least I presume that's what your speaking about.

I believe there were a few stainless/laminated ones put out, so it's probably original. More than likely you're looking at about 9 lbs with scope. No featherweight by any means, but not all that bad.

For many many years I used a Stainless Ruger boat paddle 7mm mag to take quite a few deer, several antelope and a few elk and other critters. Some were measured in feet and a couple pushing 600 yards and the rest everywhere in between.

Great cartridge that will easily take anything in the lower 48, recoil isn't noticeably more than a 30-06.

If you like the rifle, see what he'd take without the scope. If you're on a budget, pick up a Leupold 3-9x40 (skip the Rifleman series by Leupold though) on feebay or other forums for 160-170 and live happily ever after. Just make sure the rings are included, those go for 40-50.00 by themselves usually.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another "is this a good deal" thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!