Accurate powders question?

PDA

LightningMan
December 4, 2012, 07:51 PM
Have they changed some? The reason I ask, is that I bought some old cans AA#5 & AA#2 and when comparing them with some very new No. 5 & No. 2, they don't look quite the same. LM

If you enjoyed reading about "Accurate powders question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 4, 2012, 07:56 PM
Accurate powders have been made in at least five different countrys over the years.
With resulting changes in data for the same powders.

There is hardly any way to know for sure what you have or what data to use for it.

Thats one reason I have never used it.
About the time you think you have a good load worked up, they change it again.

rc

Walkalong
December 4, 2012, 10:05 PM
Something like this? Like rcmodel posted, it has been made all over the place.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117932&stc=1&d=1268951266

Ky Larry
December 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
I've used AA#2 for .38 wadcutter loads for 10 years. The powder looks a little different depending on where it was made but it shoots the same. None of my guns seem to have suffered. YMMV.

joneb
December 4, 2012, 11:27 PM
I have used AA#5 for about 8 yrs with no trouble.
I have used AA#9 for about 6 yrs with no trouble.
I have used AA#7 with some trouble it would seem that the old was different from the new :(

LightningMan
December 4, 2012, 11:30 PM
Walkalong, thanks for the picture. Thats exactly what I'm seeing, as the older stuff looks more flakey/bulkier vs the newer smaller more granular stuff. LM

Walkalong
December 5, 2012, 07:30 AM
I needed a two or three tenths (Don't remember exactly) more powder with the newer AA #5 to get the same velocity in my 125 Gr jacketed .38 Spl load that my Model 10 HB loves.

SlamFire1
December 5, 2012, 03:48 PM
As RC stated Accurate Arms buys powders from anyone. Which is why one lot, bought in one year or decade, is so different from another lot.

I bought kegs of AA2520 when it was cheap. Some of the stuff, made in Czechoslovakia was like coal dust. And it clogged the powder funnel of my dillion. The AA2520 made in China, it was great, along with my Chinese made AA2495.

You have to treat each lot of Accurate Arms powder as something different from the last lot, or you will be blowing primers.

Maj Dad
December 5, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have Czecho & Israeli AA powders, and they seem identical in appearance & performance. I have an 8 lb keg of 2520 with no label but I think it was Czech, too... haven't opened it yet, still using the Czech 1 lb-ers. I do share the opinions of those who are reluctant to keep buying it and re-re-re-work up loads every time, but that can be entertaining at some point in your life... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Accurate powders question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!