Worst Firearm Fail Ever!!!

PDA

Stringfellow
December 4, 2012, 10:17 PM
We are not talking "kaboom" kind of fail, but it is still a fail of monumental proportions. This is just wrong on so many levels, that I don't even know where to begin....

I decided that I needed to own all of my favorite James Bond movies, so among others, I bought the Special Edition 2000 version of You Only Live Twice. The front cover of the DVD case looked normal, but I about gagged when I viewed the liner notes inside. What is wrong with this picture:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Mr_Stringfellow_Hawke/Bond1.jpg

How could someone make such a mistake? The pistol wasn't even invented until ~20 years after the movie. Let alone a Hi Point or Jennings might be some of the only pistols Bond would be less likely to carry.

But it continues...

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Mr_Stringfellow_Hawke/Bond3.jpg

As far as I can tell, this is a CZ75, with its beveled slide, flat ribbed top, and internal guide rod. Still an anachronism for a movie made in 1967.

And finally this. Once again a Glock. But for you Bond fans, you will recognize this much older Bond from "Never Say Never Again".

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Mr_Stringfellow_Hawke/Bond2.jpg

We all know about Friday/Monday guns, but maybe this applies to movie art as well. I swear--it must have been "summer intern time" at MGM studios.

I haven't actually watched the movie, so I assume that these mistake were limited to the artwork. Besides, I didn't see George Lucas' name anywhere on the credits, so it is unlikely the movie was botched. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst Firearm Fail Ever!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
December 4, 2012, 10:41 PM
Since Connery absolutely hates guns, I doubt it mattered much what kind the artist put in his hamd.

Jim

Ash
December 4, 2012, 10:52 PM
If you look closely, the center image shows a second pattern Browning High Power with the exaggerated barrel bushing.

The amateurish work with the photoshopping is pathetic.

guyfromohio
December 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
Kind of gives me the willies.

hAkron
December 5, 2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah, that's a really big goof. Just awful.

Texan Scott
December 5, 2012, 12:33 AM
And yet they didn't even TRY to do anything about that hideous nehru suit of Dr. No's.... what were they thinking?!?! :rolleyes:

Fishbed77
December 5, 2012, 02:23 AM
Gross.

el Godfather
December 5, 2012, 03:02 AM
The center picture to me looks like either Walther or an Astra.

The thing i find strange in first and last picture is that bond's finger on the trigger is pulled all the way back. The firearm is thus discharged. Very unlikely to be posing in.

TAKtical
December 5, 2012, 03:31 AM
The bottom pic is Mie Hama (I'd know that face anywhere) and Karin Dor from you only live twice. They dont make em like that anymore.

Stringfellow
December 5, 2012, 04:34 AM
The center picture to me looks like either Walther or an Astra.

Having the real image in front of me, and comparing it to a CZ75, I am 98% sure it is a CZ. That is strange to me too--in the year 2000, I could understand someone who doesn't know better equating generic gun with Glock, but CZ was still pretty unknown.

ku4hx
December 5, 2012, 08:36 AM
It's Hollywood and they just want to get your money any way they can. In one of the iterations of "Die Hard" a Glock was described as being ceramic and able to defeat airport security systems. Or some such wording. As we all know, that just ain't true but it helped build a fan base and that's means Hollywood just got more of the sheople's money.

As to the worst firearm fail ever, I vote for the first episode of "The Walking Dead". The sheriff reminds the deputy to set his pistol's safety to off. The idiot deputy then proceeds to thumb the safety off on his Glock. On Netflix, that brilliant piece of entertainment police work happens at about the 11:00 mark.

Just One Shot
December 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
Whats wrong with these pictures? He has his booger hook on the bang switch in all of them! I might be inclined to overlook the middle one as he looks to be ready to shoot but the other 2 shows his lack of experience with firearms. :D

Rockyriver
December 5, 2012, 02:36 PM
Geez, guys!!!!!
Q at MI-6 designed both what is known as the Glock and the CZ back in the 60's.
The secret designs were leaked out and later copied.
This is the reason you see James (we are on a first name basis) shown with these guns ahead of their time.
Next you guys will be talking about his shoe phone and how the cell phone did not come out till the 80s. As far as James having his finger on the trigger in some of the photos he has a license to kill and is not held back like the regular po po's of today. So what if a civilian gets shot on accident it can be covered up and made to look like the bad guy did it. Much like today's government already does.
I wish you guys had insider knowledge like me,
Now I got to get, I have a dinner engagement with Elvis and Bigfoot along with the two headed man that sings in stereo.

Fiv3r
December 5, 2012, 02:41 PM
It's Hollywood and they just want to get your money any way they can. In one of the iterations of "Die Hard" a Glock was described as being ceramic and able to defeat airport security systems. Or some such wording. As we all know, that just ain't true but it helped build a fan base and that's means Hollywood just got more of the sheople's money.

As to the worst firearm fail ever, I vote for the first episode of "The Walking Dead". The sheriff reminds the deputy to set his pistol's safety to off. The idiot deputy then proceeds to thumb the safety off on his Glock. On Netflix, that brilliant piece of entertainment police work happens at about the 11:00 mark.
There is a pretty good horror/comedy called Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil that has a HUGE gun goof. The whole premise of the flick is turning the slasher genre on its head where a group of preppy college kids terrorize some well meaning backwoods guys fixing up their cabin as the kids believe them to be psychotic murderous hillbillies. The kids proceed to spend the next 60 minutes of the movie accidentally offing themselves in hilarious ways.

Anyway, in one of the scenes a nervous college student shakily waves a police revolver at them and tries to fire at them only pull the trigger with nothing happening. The good natured good ol' boy offers a bit of advice as the "safety is on". The kid then proceeds to point the barrel toward his face and turn off the safety of the double action revolver before pulling the hair trigger (with the hammer down, mind you) and accidentally blows his own face off.

Ash
December 5, 2012, 04:00 PM
Of course, many Spanish and Belgian revolvers, as well as post WWII Webley police revolvers, actually did have safeties.

Bovice
December 5, 2012, 04:09 PM
Why would they modernize the cover of a classic bond movie?

I'm calling this a hoax.

Fishbed77
December 5, 2012, 04:35 PM
Why would they modernize the cover of a classic bond movie?

I'm calling this a hoax.

This is not a hoax.

I took at look at my copy of "You Only Live Twice" last night (same 2000 DVD release), and sure enough, that damn Glock is there in the paper insert (not on the DVD cover).

Bovice
December 5, 2012, 04:49 PM
Well <deleted>.
That's terrible!

Skribs
December 5, 2012, 05:11 PM

Well technically it was the Glock 7, so he didn't defame an actual pistol. He also described the Glock 7 as being expensive.

But this would be like giving Aragorn a M60, as far as I'm concerned.

Fishbed77
December 5, 2012, 06:37 PM

The only difference is that...

WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!

I could see it now - Aragorn rising from the waters of Anduin at Osgiliath, bandana wrapped around his head, pumping lead into the Orc armies in slow-motion.

Yeah... AWESOME!!!!!!

Stringfellow
December 5, 2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
The only difference is that...

WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!

I could see it now - Aragorn rising from the waters of Anduin at Osgiliath, bandana wrapped around his head, pumping lead into the Orc armies in slow-motion.

Yeah... AWESOME!!!!!!

Yes!!! And it would be the "infinite ammo/infinite cooling" model that Rambo had. Although if we are going there, it might as well be the minigun from Predator.

Skribs
December 5, 2012, 06:56 PM
"Legolas, Gimli, I hear you play a game to see who can kill the most Orcs..."

Carl N. Brown
December 5, 2012, 07:10 PM
I have noticed a lot of DVD covers where it appears to me that a gun has been photoshopped onto a photo of the actor (the proportions or angles or lighting are often "off".

TCBPATRIOT
December 5, 2012, 11:35 PM
As to the walking dead reference there a few Glocks with external safeties the only ones I know of were made for the Tasmanian police. So in theory it could have a safety.

hAkron
December 6, 2012, 02:26 PM
The second worst - the was NEVER a Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock.

MAKster
December 6, 2012, 04:22 PM
These box covers were probably from bootleg DVDs.

The Lone Haranguer
December 6, 2012, 04:27 PM
There was a reason JB never used British handguns.

http://www.montywhitley.com/img/items/132562328888322700.jpg
http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/images/2009-5/20095914463-webley_mk_5_ms.jpg

:neener:

Fishbed77
December 6, 2012, 04:53 PM
These box covers were probably from bootleg DVDs.

Nope - this was a legitimate US DVD release in 2000 by MGM, not a bootleg.

And again, the Glocks were NOT shown on the cover, but on the paper DVD inserts.

The cover of the DVD case looked like this:

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/object/044/044689/youonlyboxart_160w.jpg

orionengnr
December 6, 2012, 10:47 PM
The idiocy (and blatant hypocrisy) of Hollywood knows no bounds.

They haven't seen a dime of my money since Forrest Gump; nor will they. No Netflix, no Hulu, no movies on cable or satellite TV.

Just say no...it's easier than you might think. :)

S&Wfan
December 8, 2012, 11:30 PM
Also, look closely at the Glocks in the two photos.

They actually pasted the same Glock photo into both images . . . only rotating the gun and the hand much more in the lower photo. Yep, same shadows on the hand, same shiny spots on the Glock.

Bad photoshop for a cheaply produced update.

bushmaster1313
December 9, 2012, 12:00 AM
I am reporting you to the moderators for posting an obscene photo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Mr_Stringfellow_Hawke/Bond1.jpg

Dmath
December 9, 2012, 12:50 AM
There was a reason JB never used British handguns.

http://www.montywhitley.com/img/items/132562328888322700.jpg
http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/images/2009-5/20095914463-webley_mk_5_ms.jpg

:neener:
Very, very funny.

Now, while it's true that the top one, at least, is an uggo, there's still the big old Webley .455, which in my view was and is a grand old gun. It looks meaner when it's cocked because the firing pin is like a dragon's tooth.

Devonai
December 9, 2012, 01:18 PM
My girlfriend and I just sat through all 2.5 seasons of The Walking Dead. For some reason, she was rather tolerant of my need to point out all the firearms errors throughout the show. The aforementioned safety on a Glock was pretty bad, but there are others. Shane tells Andrea that her S&W 3919 has a seven round capacity. Glock mags are all 10-rounders, and at one point we see a 10-rounder for a Beretta 92FS. There's an M4 with no rear sight (and the guy using it makes a long shot with it).

Likewise, everyone on the show demonstrates a remarkable proficiency with firearms even with very little training, beyond Rick and Shane, anyway. Still a fun show for all its foibles, and to their credit, they did get it right in the scene in Season One where Andrea pulls her 3913 on Rick with the safety on.

Stringfellow
December 9, 2012, 03:33 PM
We are providing a valuable service: watching movies and ID'ing every firearm in real time. People should be willing to pay good money for our expertise. They should especially appreciate when we are willing to pause and/or rewind a movie in order to ensure the accuracy of our services. ;)

So far my wife does not see the value in this service, but I hope that someday if I pause/rewind enough movies, she will come to appreciate it...

WYOMan
December 9, 2012, 03:39 PM
I've watched several shows and movies and swore I heard the characters either cocking, or switching off the safety, while holding a Glock.:scrutiny:

Bovice
December 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
Lol glocks should come with a "press here!" sticker on the frame with a button that activates different gun related sounds. You could even add a USB port to download your favorite sounds! You could have 1911 safety, pump shotgun racking, the sound of a nuclear detonation, etc.

TimboKhan
December 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
Allrighty. Not really RKBA or firearms related except tangentially. Sorry, folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Worst Firearm Fail Ever!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!