Would you buy a rifle you didn't need if it was cheap?

PDA

gspn
December 4, 2012, 10:57 PM
I saw a NIB Browning A-Bolt II composite in .308 tonight for $499. That seems cheap to me. I don't need it...prior to looking at it I wasn't even considering another rifle...but it sure does seem cheap.

Have you ever purchased a gun that wasn't on your radar simply because you ran into it and it was cheap?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you buy a rifle you didn't need if it was cheap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jogar80
December 4, 2012, 11:04 PM
No... but I would if it was RIDICULOUSLY cheap. In your case, that's a great price, but not low enough to buy for no reason. I'd do something like that at like $200 or less.

gspn
December 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
No... but I would if it was RIDICULOUSLY cheap. In your case, that's a great price, but not low enough to buy for no reason. I'd do something like that at like $200 or less.
Thanks for talking me back from the brink...sometimes I just need a voice of reason. Whew...I feel better already.

Ro1911
December 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
If it was something like a glock or an AR15 and I found it for at least $100 less then I could resell it for then yah I would buy it, but in your case no I wouldn't because bolt guns take awhile to sell they are generally slow movers.

mberoose
December 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
Stumbled across a Marlin 795 with a scope and 4 mags for $75. Picking it up next week, need a 22 anyways.

ngnrd
I just bought a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 that I didn't need. I have two other 270's, but this was brand new in a local shop for $350. So yeah, I'd buy a gun just because its a good deal. But it's got to be a pretty good deal.

Sock Puppet
Need is so subjective and flexible.:)

Ehtereon11B
December 4, 2012, 11:28 PM
Nope. Not anymore. Thought I was getting a good deal when I was getting my 770. It is the most inaccurate rifle I have ever fired and won't buy another "budget" or "cheap" rifle ever again. Hopefully I can try it with a different scope and get rounds on paper, otherwise I will find some unlucky gun dealer to trade it to.

wlewisiii
December 4, 2012, 11:35 PM
Not usually, though I snagged my Winchester 94 when I found it for $250. I was very happy that day for the glories of layaway... ;)

But usually I don't have the money so I see good deals and they stay on the rack... :(

History.Doc
December 4, 2012, 11:39 PM
Yes. I have a problem.

cal74
December 4, 2012, 11:40 PM
I'll buy pretty much anything that I know I can at least clear a hundred bucks on if need be. If I have to think much on it, than probably not.

PS: As stated that may be a good price on the Browning, but no huge deal by any means.

tahoe2
December 5, 2012, 12:54 AM
There's a difference between a cheap rifle, and an extremely low price on a great rifle !!
I think Browning's are great rifles !!

planetmobius
December 5, 2012, 01:47 AM
Need has nothing to do with this. Get it.

RIATAC45
December 5, 2012, 01:51 AM
yes, I just bought a model 70 in .264 win mag for next to nothing with a scope, ammo, brass, dies, and a case.

ColtPythonElite
December 5, 2012, 01:55 AM
I don't see why not...I don't have a problem buying expensive guns that I don't need.

Texan Scott
December 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
No. If I don't need it and it's a caliber I don't shoot, it's just more ammo to buy. If it's in a caliber I have, that might be just one more reason I don't need it.

Funny, but my usual question is something along the lines of "what else would I shoot with it?". If there's no clear answer, I'd rather use the money to buy knives, ammo, accessories, etc.

HDCamel
December 5, 2012, 02:18 AM
Only if I kind of wanted it.

Ignition Override
December 5, 2012, 02:30 AM
To paraphrase what HDCamel said, only if I already wanted it.
A friend found an extra Romanian M-69 Trainer (.22) with a pretty decent trigger. He already had one.
I enjoy it about as much as my rifles in 7.62x39, .303, 308.

I'm hoping that the friend somehow finds an 'extra' P-64 (9x18).

USMC8541
December 5, 2012, 06:38 AM
I can quit anytime I want to, I just don't want to.

SwampWolf
December 5, 2012, 06:54 AM
Not always or even often, but...yeah, sometimes. The most recent relapse occurred when my lgs ran a special sale on Weatherby Vanguards (unloading the older models in advance of the S 2 series rifles was their presumed ploy) for $299.99, all chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum. No, I didn't "need" one (anymore than I really "need" 95% of my firearm inventory) but I don't regret getting one. Well, I was sort of taken aback when I discovered the cost of Weatherby Magnum ammunition...:( :eek:

Gtscotty
December 5, 2012, 06:59 AM
Oh man, I'm glad I'm not the only one guilty of this... Gun broker is especially bad. It starts with me thinking "Wow that's a really low bid price on an interesting rifle/revolver/pistol, I'll just throw out a low ball bid for kicks". And then BAM, a couple weeks later there is a new toy waiting at my FFL. I wound up with a Mauser M96 American straight pull 7mm Mag exactly like that, cool rifle, but I really didn't need it, or another caliber to load for.

19-3Ben
December 5, 2012, 07:28 AM
Stumbled across a Marlin 795 with a scope and 4 mags for $75. Picking it up next week, need a 22 anyways.

Oh yeah? Where'd you find one of those? :p

leadcounsel
December 5, 2012, 07:43 AM
I do and I have, as long as I won't lose money if I decide to sell it later. But I almost never sell any guns I bought.

bannockburn
December 5, 2012, 08:06 AM
On occasion, if I happen to stumble onto something on the used gun rack. It really has to be an unbelievable price and in decent enough condition for me to even consider buying it. And then typically if I can, I will put it on layaway first just to give me some time to do some research and to think about it.

JFtheGR8
December 5, 2012, 08:13 AM
Yes, if it was in a caliber I already owned or wanted and if it was well below retail price.

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

shaggy430
December 5, 2012, 08:37 AM
I'll buy most any gun I think I can make a buck on or use to trade for something I want.

jmr40
December 5, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've bought many guns that were cheap and later sold or traded them at a profit to finance guns that I actually wanted.

Manny
December 5, 2012, 08:53 AM
Not only would, but actually have. I am trying to get over that though, as the ones I get that way have never stayed.

jrdolall
December 5, 2012, 08:59 AM
Several years ago I was in a local Kmart and they had some red tags on rifles. They had marked Rem 700s to half price and I mean the older model rifles with wooden stocks not the ones you see today. I bought a .243 for I think $179 and tried to convince the girl that all the Rem 700s should be on sale but she wouldn't buy it. Unfortunately this gun and one other were stolen.
I have bough quite a few if they are obviously low priced but that is getting pretty hard to do. I bought a sporterized Swede 6.5 for $100 a year or so ago at a pawn shop and a 1972 Marlin 336 for $200 earlier this year. The Swede I had no need for, though I really like it now, but I had been on the lookout for another Marlin 336. Bought a couple of 9mm pistols in a package deal for $200 two years ago that were duplicates of what I already had.

Arkansas Paul
December 5, 2012, 09:48 AM
I saw a NIB Browning A-Bolt II composite in .308 tonight for $499.

That's not exactly the steal of the century, so no. Now if you want one, it's not a bad price, I just don't think it's quiet as good a deal as you're thinking.

Buds sells composite Browning A-Bolts for $495ish all day every day. Is there a difference between those and the one you're looking at? I'm not sure. It doesn't say A-Bolt II on theirs so there may very well be a difference.

Ash
December 5, 2012, 09:57 AM
I picked up a Sino-Albanian SKS just for that reason. It was cheap. It had an Albanian stock modified for the Chinese SKS. It had the two-hole butt plate. It had nearly 1005a bluing.

I still don't need it, but it was cheap.

fallout mike
December 5, 2012, 01:22 PM
Only if its a really good deal. Ill shoot it for a few weeks and sell it for a nice profit.

CraigC
December 5, 2012, 01:39 PM
Absolutely not. Buying a rifle I don't want or need just because it's cheap seems very silly. I don't know why people even consider such things. We're not women at the shoe store on sale day. If I've got $500 burning a hole in my pocket, it's always best put towards something I really do want. The wish list is always heavily populated.

welldoya
December 5, 2012, 02:16 PM
I used to do it a lot. Now I am glad that I did because a lot of those guns that I bought just because they were a bargain are now worth a lot more than I paid. Plus, some of them I found out I really do need, I just didn't know it at the time.

jimherb
December 5, 2012, 02:27 PM
Every time I see one of the new Ruger Americans, I feel the pull. Now, I don't hunt (too old and infirm) and have plenty of other rifles to play with. Nonetheless....

The_Armed_Therapist
December 5, 2012, 02:28 PM
In my opinion, that deal makes the A-bolt the best $499 rifle that's likely to be available. However, I reflect other responses... Not good enough not to pass if you don't need one. You could probably re-sell it if you didn't want it for a tad bit more than that, but not enough to make it worth it.

Bobson
December 5, 2012, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't necessarily have to need it, I'd just have to be able to justify it. Say I found a really nice .243 at a real bargain. I have no need for a 243, and no great interest in the caliber... but its a versatile round that fills a niche thats currently open. I'd probably buy it. In other words, price alone isnt enough justification for me.

bikerdoc
December 5, 2012, 03:01 PM
I only use a limited number of calibers, if it is one I use I buy it, if it is one I think a friend can use I buy it and add on 25 bucks for my trouble. If no one wants it in the family I will sell it for a small profit.

narcoden
December 5, 2012, 03:16 PM
Well, I did buy a Mosin...

Sent from my Nexus 7

urbaneruralite
December 5, 2012, 03:17 PM
Being right-brained mostly eliminates opportunities for such problems. I did buy a 30/06 instead of the .308 I wanted once just because it was so much cheaper.

mberoose
December 5, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah? Where'd you find one of those? :p

LOL

http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/wave.gif

Ash
December 5, 2012, 03:58 PM
I own a Norinco NDM-86 that was a cheap price solely because it was a cheap price. $1,200OTD. I could double what I paid in 30 minutes with a buy-it-now on Gunbroker.

Revoliver
December 5, 2012, 04:45 PM
Have you ever purchased a gun that wasn't on your radar simply because you ran into it and it was cheap?

No, but I sure do drool all over them...

brnmw
December 5, 2012, 04:52 PM
Absolutely not. Buying a rifle I don't want or need just because it's cheap seems very silly. I don't know why people even consider such things. We're not women at the shoe store on sale day. If I've got $500 burning a hole in my pocket, it's always best put towards something I really do want. The wish list is always heavily populated.

Or buy 4-5 Mosin Nagants! :D

And I don't know about that "Were not Women in a shoe store sale bit" there are plenty of women on this forum that may not appreciate that comment too well... just saying. ;)

JShirley
December 5, 2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I might take a M-N.

If it was given to me.

Otherwise, yes, I bought a Howa from a member some months ago because it was a terrific price. I wouldn't buy a rifle in a caliber that would be extremely hard to get ammo for, though.

bearman49709
December 5, 2012, 05:18 PM
A friend needed cash 3 weeks ago and offered me a Ruger 96/44 w/3 mags and a cheep scope for $325.00. Nice guy that I am I gave him $340.00 for it and could have gotten my money back the next day from someone else, but I have a lot of .44 mag ammo for my S&W 629-1 so I wanted to play with it first.

mach1.3
December 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
I used to do it all the time. Buy a pistol, rifle or shotgun just because it was a great price even if I didn't need it. I would rationalize it---as my hobby.
I don't do it 'much' anymore. I ask myself, "do I really have a use for this gun?" Sometimes it was a caliber I was interested in or a gun I thought I could flip for a quick profit. Now I'm looking for a specific gun to fill my bucket list. I'm not a collector per se, but I do have alot of pieces. I shoot all of them--they are not mint collectibles for my wife to sell. I do have several guns I'm saving specifically for my daughter and my grandson.

"Everybody has a plan, until they get hit." M. Tyson

MCgunner
December 5, 2012, 06:44 PM
YES, if I WANTED it. I worry more about WANT and not need now days. I don't NEED any new rifles.

mach1.3
December 5, 2012, 07:00 PM
I'll pass this story along for the heck of it. An acquaintance of mine asked me if I'd be interested in buying a few of his guns. He needed some extra cash and his wife had some health issues. I said I'd look at what he had and see what I could do. He came over to my house with several guns he wanted to sell. 1. Browning Citori grade 6 20ga. in excellent condition, 2. Sako Finnwolf .308 with a Zeiss 3-9x scope, 3. Remington 700 BDL .22-250 with a Nikon Balvar 2.5-10x scope, 4. Weatherby Athena OU 12ga. with ported bbls. and Briley chokes, 5. Beretta 680 Silver Pigeon OU 12ga. in presentation case. 6. Weatherby V deluxe in .300 Wtby Mag. with Leupold 3-9x, Boss comp. 7. DU Beretta 390A 12ga. NIB. 8. Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Every gun seemed to be very well cared for and had each an original case. I was blown away when he told me how much he wanted for the lot. It was of course, several thousand dollars but worth every penny. I bought all eight and still have them.

76shuvlinoff
December 5, 2012, 07:11 PM
I wish I could buy something ridiculously cheap... just once. :banghead:

TimboKhan
December 5, 2012, 07:16 PM
Sure, if its not some weird caliber.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

paintballdude902
December 5, 2012, 07:18 PM
been there done that got the fr-8, 2 mosins, 3 enfields and a partridge in a pare tree......

CraigC
December 5, 2012, 07:24 PM
I found an older pre-safety Marlin 336 .30-30 (24" barrel, half mag, pistol grip) this afternoon which I may go back and get because it's almost too cheap not to but also because I WANT it. ;)

P5 Guy
December 5, 2012, 07:41 PM
Too many times and now I'm finding the reason they were so inexpensive. Nobody else wanted them no matter the price.:banghead:

Hokkmike
December 5, 2012, 07:47 PM
No, but then maybe I could justify "needing" it.

I really only need my hunting rifle. I just want the others.

But, I only own 4 guns so I am not impulsive.

redneck2
December 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just gotta watch on hunting rifles right now. With the economy in the crapper, there is very diminished demand. I could have bought that same rifle (new) in WSM back a year or so ago for even less at the LGS.

I just got a beautiful 95%+ Savage 99 for $499. A few years ago it would have brought upwards of $1,000. The old thing about guns always going up no longer holds true.

USAF_Vet
December 5, 2012, 08:14 PM
Depends a lot on the gun in question and whether or not I can put it on lay away.

T.R.
December 5, 2012, 08:28 PM
No, never.

TR

lefteyedom
December 5, 2012, 08:53 PM
My name is Sarge and I am a Gun-coholic

They say the first step to healing is to admit you have a problem...

bushmaster1313
December 5, 2012, 10:40 PM
simply because you ran into it and it was cheap?

I live in New Jersey and have no idea what you are talking about.

Kachok
December 6, 2012, 02:07 AM
I got one of those $499 A-Bolts in 7mm-08 and it is not nearly as accurate as I had hoped. Several trips to the range with factory ammo and handloads and I finally found something that it shoots pretty good. While I like the rifle now it is not something that I would recommend to someone who buys factory ammo, mine shot horrible with anything but Big Game powder 140gr SGK handloads. If you want out of the box accuracy with any ammo I HIGHLY recommend Tikka mine shoots everything sub moa even $13 a box Prvi and el-chepo power points.

Twiki357
December 6, 2012, 02:44 AM
Only when it jumps out and grabs me and won't let go. Last one was last year; Saiga 7.62x39 NIB for $300.

rondog
December 6, 2012, 03:06 AM
Would I buy a rifle I didn't need if it was cheap?

Been known to, a few times.

Reloadron
December 6, 2012, 06:39 AM
Would you buy a rifle you didn't need if it was cheap?

Depends on how we define cheap but generally speaking yes, I would buy any rifle, shotgun or handgun if it fell in my lap cheap. My friends and co-workers know I shoot and enjoy guns. When someone passes away I am frequently offered guns.

So I buy a Chi-Com SKS for $100 and in a few weeks drag it to a show I planned on going to anyway. I sell it for $200 just to turn a quick $100 towards what I want. When the price is right and you have the cash why not buy something you don't really want or need?

Ron

VAPOPO
December 6, 2012, 06:50 AM
Yep:D

natman
December 6, 2012, 03:58 PM
Nope. Not anymore. Thought I was getting a good deal when I was getting my 770. It is the most inaccurate rifle I have ever fired and won't buy another "budget" or "cheap" rifle ever again. Hopefully I can try it with a different scope and get rounds on paper, otherwise I will find some unlucky gun dealer to trade it to.
I think the OP meant "cheap" in the sense of "did you ever buy a rifle you didn't need because it was a bargain".

A Remington 770 is just cheap.

-----------------------------------------

I don't know if I ever bought a rifle that I didn't need because it was a bargain, but I have developed a spontaneous need for a rifle that was a bargain many, many times.

Steel Talon
December 6, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yes if I could find value in it as a re-sale or a trade upgrage.

SlamFire1
December 6, 2012, 05:56 PM
Been there, done that.

Will do it again. :neener:

jcwit
December 6, 2012, 06:58 PM
Always.

powder
December 6, 2012, 07:02 PM
Yup: A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse w/nice scope, and their BOSS system.

I did not want a 300 WM.

Was not looking for one.

Am I glad I bought it? You bet.

splattergun
December 6, 2012, 11:19 PM
I don't need any more guns. I have adequate tools to kill any game animal or bird in N. America. But I found a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 in the LGS tonight for $400. That is probably a fairly steep price, but that's 150 less than what they were priced at the recent gun show.
I don't currently own a 30-30. I think I need one now.
I should ask if he has lay away.

witchhunter
December 7, 2012, 12:06 AM
Kinda like a free puppy sometimes though, now you gotta buy ammo, or dies, components, etc. A bolt rifle, it will need glass. I might buy a Winnie 92 or 94 for a deal since I already have the dies for every caliber, no other expenses for a scope or any extras. Or maybe another revolver.....

chez323
December 7, 2012, 12:06 AM
I'd say no but in reality yes I would. Hard to pass up a good deal on a gun, even if its not something I'd normally consider. I am weak :(

Onmilo
December 7, 2012, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't buy a cheap rifle I didn't need simply because it was cheap.
If someone offered me a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Savage for $200 cash I would snap that puppy up in a heartbeat!

stan rose
December 7, 2012, 09:03 PM
I once bought a rifle I didn't need because the ammo was cheap.

justice06rr
December 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
I would only buy an "underpriced" firearm (long gun or pistol) if its known to be reliable at the least. Maybe an AK, Mossberg, or Glock etc for $100-200 less.

straightShot
December 8, 2012, 08:04 AM
When you have a friend that insists on selling you a gun and he keeps it up and eventually lowers the price, you finally have to buy it, even if you didn't want it in the first place.

hwmoore
December 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
I don't need any rifle , desire is something different entirely. Usually if I find a good deal on a used well cared for weapon, I will pick it up and try to pass it on to some other friend that might have more of a need. One that comes to mind is a old savage model 24 22/410 with walnut stocks that I ran across in a pawn shop it resides in my closet until I can find some young man deserving of it. Perfect squirrel,rabbit, and small game taker for the farm

Okiegunner
December 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
I have many more firearms than I need. Just not near as many as I want.

So...Yes, if I had the money to spend.

T.R.
December 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
No.

TR

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you buy a rifle you didn't need if it was cheap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!