Did I make the right trade? **PICS ADDED**

PDA

bigtubby
December 5, 2012, 09:56 AM
I traded a stairmaster for a Rossi ranchhand .44mag one of those lever action pistols. I didn't really have any use for it so put it up for trade for S&W revolvers the two best offers were a 8 3/8 no dash 686 or 2 1/2" 19-4 P&R. I took the 19-4 blueing is in excellent condition hardly a turn line. What would you have done I am starting too second guess the way I went. I don't hunt and have 3 6" guns and a 5" for range work.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/bigtubby/19-4001.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/bigtubby/19-4002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Did I make the right trade? **PICS ADDED**" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guillermo
December 5, 2012, 10:03 AM
a stairmaster turned into a 19-4?

I should get you to clear out my attic!!!

I don't know what a SM is worth...but you did great.

bigtubby
December 5, 2012, 10:10 AM
Guillermo, my main question is was the 19 a better choice than a long tube 686 and I guess I am the only one that can answer that. I have a 6" 686 and just didn't see the value in a long tube 686 versus snub 19.

I don't think used gym equipment is very valuable especially since it was parked in a spare bedroom.

Guillermo
December 5, 2012, 10:46 AM
I LOVE k frames.

The 19 is a great gun. I would not have hesitated.

If nothing else, it is a less common gun, so with your ability to wheel and deal, you might be able to turn it into a 3 inch Python.

To me you got a gun that you can use every day (how often do you need a long, full underlug barrel revolver?) and if you don't use, you can trade it easily.

You made, no question, the right choice

303 hunter
December 5, 2012, 10:50 AM
Great deal! My wife has an exercise bike........

Arkansas Paul
December 5, 2012, 11:35 AM
I would have done the same as you. I have no desire to own an 8 3/8" revolver. But that's just me.

dab102999
December 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
I will gladly trade you that gun for a treadmill and you can start over and see what you get this time....

welldoya
December 5, 2012, 02:23 PM
Used gym equipment is hard to get rid of because there is so much out there.
When you are able to sell it, it's at a dirt cheap price.
You did good. I would've made that trade all day long.

USSR
December 5, 2012, 02:43 PM
On the down side, bigtubby might have to change his handle to "hugetubby".:uhoh:

Don

hAkron
December 5, 2012, 02:51 PM
The M19 would for sure excite me more than a ranch hand, or a stair master. 686's are fairly common. If they were both in similar condition, I think I would go with the 19, since I already have 2 686's.

skidder
December 5, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm a k-frame guy so I think you did good. There ain't nothing that balances like a k-frame.
Congrats, but you ain't done yet... we need pics!

bikemutt
December 5, 2012, 05:08 PM
One of my prized guns is a nickel 19-4 snubby. Its a kitchen drawer home invasion protector that gets out the range every once in a while.

I think you did very well. It soaks up even 357 mag with aplomb.

On the other hand, I took a stairmaster out bird hunting once, didn't hit a thing, terrible weapon :)

Kahr33556
December 5, 2012, 05:39 PM
anytime you can trade useless exercise equptment for any gun its a good trade

johnjohn
December 5, 2012, 06:18 PM
Real good trade.

bikemutt
December 5, 2012, 06:43 PM
Now that you have pictures up, even better. You may want to lay low for a while with that nice of a steal.

19-3Ben
December 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'd have done the same. That model 19 is sweet.

Shear_stress
December 5, 2012, 07:14 PM
Nicely done!

Gordon
December 5, 2012, 07:17 PM
Nice to see good choices made!

Iggy
December 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
Seems to be a pattern developing here. I too would have done that trade in a heart beat.

BYJO4
December 5, 2012, 07:39 PM
The model 19 is great and you certainly came out well on the deal. If you don't have a snub, you made a good choice.

skidder
December 5, 2012, 08:56 PM
You did good.
That is a fine looking weapon!

Guillermo
December 5, 2012, 10:10 PM
DAMN!!!

That is cherry!!!

Beautiful gun

AMAZING TRADE!!!

jhvaughan2
December 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
by this time you don't need me to tell you. You done good!

EVIL
December 5, 2012, 10:34 PM
stairmaster ----> Ranch hand ------> S&W 19 :D

Well done sir! You should be proud. Where can I find this guy who is trading guns for old exercise equipment? I've got a bridge to sell him ... ;)

788Ham
December 6, 2012, 01:00 AM
See if he's got any '27's, I've got a gym master in my bsmnt I'll trade him.

You did good on your trade, mighty fine piece!

bannockburn
December 6, 2012, 01:15 AM
bigtubby

Seriously...you had to ask? Out of all the guns you mentioned, plus the exercise equipment, the Model 19 snubby was the hands down, out of the park home run.

Well played.

biohazurd
December 6, 2012, 03:05 AM
The 19 would have been my choice too. The snub nose 19s are in my opinion a piece of art AND a valid self defence tool.

Master Blaster
December 6, 2012, 09:32 AM
The Stairmaster was woth at least $50 at you next garage sale.

hboy35
December 6, 2012, 11:08 AM
you really came out on the short end.

Had you kept the stairmaster and really worked it hard, you wouldn't "need" that nasty looking 19, you would have been faster than any speeding bullet and could have outran any bad guy and his bullets.....bad, bad, bad trade.

sleepyone
December 7, 2012, 12:18 AM
I will echo everyone else and say well done! The longest barrel I want on a revolver is 6". Anything longer and I might as well carry a rifle.

You got me thinking about that elliptical upstairs that my family just had to have that no one uses...

JEB
December 7, 2012, 12:44 AM
for me, i would have most likely gone with the 686 because i have a 3" .357 and have been wanting one with a longer barrel.

in your situation, you made the best decision hands down. not to mention that 19 is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

ggood
December 7, 2012, 08:04 PM
From the look of your pictures you made a great deal. You got a older model 19 with pinned barrel,no newfangled locking mechanism and it automatically came with old style Hammer which I like. Also picture shows very little wear on cylinder and grips.All I can say is "WOW".

scaatylobo
December 7, 2012, 08:51 PM
I have a Ranch hand and it was fun to shoot --- NOW how about unloading that nasty looking 19 for a RH ?.

I will even pay the FFL paperwork and shipping.

Good job ,really !!.

rswartsell
December 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
WOW!, I think you done real good. I love my snubbies and this is a good one. 1 thing to remember, Mod. 19's (or any K frame) don't like a steady diet of hot .357.

This is a good candidate for modern (hot) .38 spl.+P defense rounds. They eject easier from a .357 cylinder anyway.

Might I suggest Speer .38 spl. +P Gold Dot Short Barrels? A Few "full house" magnums won't hurt, but you will be spending most of that Magnum goodness for a fireball.

PlayTheAces
December 8, 2012, 05:31 AM
As far as the question, one's for longer range and one isn't. Depends if you want a target gun/hunting gun, or one for personal carry/defense. I assume you went with the 19 for carry (or under your pillow)?

Either one trumps a stairmaster. :D

bigtubby
December 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, for me it wasn't much of a decision until I woke up that next morning and started second guessing myself. I agree if I can't get it done with a 6" barreled gun I will get a rifle. I had to sell my last 19-4 snub cheap to raise the final $400 for one of my grail guns a 627-3 V-comp so now it has been restored and this one is in better condition overall other than somebody's initials that are lightly carved under the address on this gun.

Hondo 60
December 8, 2012, 12:57 PM
bigtubby - you made an EXCELLENT trade.
That 19 is sure a beauty!

capcyclone
December 8, 2012, 10:27 PM
You were asking to rub it in to all of us - right? Because that was a fabulous trade. The S&W is beautiful, but I'd personally held on to to Rossi Ranch Hand for the novelty and fun of it. But either way they are both more fun than a tread mill.

ngnrd
December 9, 2012, 01:46 AM
Am I the only one that sees the irony in the fact that a fella that calls himself "bigtubby" traded away his stairmaster?:uhoh:

Seriously though, at this point I would pay somebody to take some of my exercise equipment, just to free up the space in my bedroom. Ya done good.

Brian Williams
December 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
I really like Round butt fixed sight revolvers and that one is sooo sweet I can make an exception. It just needs to have a Tyler T grip adapter installed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did I make the right trade? **PICS ADDED**" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!