Picked up an excellent FN Herstal High Power.

PDA

Orion8472
December 5, 2012, 10:45 AM
Picked up an excellent FN Herstal High Power from a member on this board. A High Power [FEG] was my first handgun I owned. It was sold a few years ago. I was starting to get into the polymer guns, and EVEN contemplated getting into a Glock.

My brother ended up getting a Glock 19, and after shooting it, I realized that [even with grip reduction] the angle of the handle was not to my hand/wrist geometry. It was also hard to get it to print close groups, though it had a trigger job done.

So, I found this FN HP in the sale section, purchased it, and picked it up at my FFL last night. I took it to the range and ran 100 trouble free rounds through it [unlike the Glock which I experienced about 3 light primer strikes]. My last grouping with the FN HP was one big ragged hole [about a silver dollar size]. Hits point of aim or just below at 7 yards and is very accurate. Feels MUCH better in my hand. I plan on getting some Mecgar [sp?] 15 round magazines for it, . . . maybe even a 20 rounder.

All in all, it was a great purchase and I'm glad to have another HP in my case. :)

This post isn't a "hate Glock" thread, just a back story. FYI

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up an excellent FN Herstal High Power." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
December 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
Woohoo! You did good.

Corpral_Agarn
December 5, 2012, 11:07 AM
I think the phrase is something like: "Pics or it didn't happen!" :D

Sounds like you did great! a High Power is on that "will buy me one of those someday..."

Orion8472
December 5, 2012, 11:09 AM
Here is the pic from the sales thread:

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u628/asiparks/_MG_5111.jpg

Wags
December 5, 2012, 12:49 PM
Nice Hi-Power. Obviously slightly modified with sights, hammer and grips. Anything else done we can't see? I do recommend Mec-Gar magazines. The 13rd and 20rd magazines have worked flawlessly for me. The 15rd with a flat hollow based follower and I never got along.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/mec-gar%209mm%20Hi%20Power%20magazines%2013%20vs%2015%20shot.htm

Orion8472
December 5, 2012, 02:48 PM
Wags, it also has the magazine safety taken out of it. Other than that, it is like any other. Very clean inside. Almost like new.

Cactus Jack Arizona
December 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
I found that post after I had already made a local purchase. I was very upset when I saw that post. :banghead: It's absolutely beautiful. Treat it well.

wow6599
December 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
Beauty.

What sights are on it....I like the looks of them from the profile.

Dryft
December 5, 2012, 07:31 PM
You beat me to it! A great piece, especially with those grips and the C&S upgrades.

Enjoy!

Orion8472
December 5, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cactus, I WILL treat it well. :D

Dryft, I've been there before. I hope you can find one soon. :)

wow6599, I'm not real sure what brand they are. I didn't get that information. Some other poster thought they might have been Trijicon, but ultimately I can't verify that.

Thanks for the posts. Just gave it a cleaning. Cleans up real nice!

Dentite
December 5, 2012, 09:45 PM
Nicely done...I'm a BHP fan as well. Enjoy it!

chriske
December 6, 2012, 08:40 AM
Congratulations !

If anyhting, yours is a "love BHP" thread. I would like to see more of those.

After all, isn't the BHP what JMB decided to work on when he realised 1911 was already 20 years ago ?

Orion8472
December 6, 2012, 09:12 AM
I believe he started work on the HP [a new design] because patents were still out on the 1911. He also [if I heard correctly] wanted to improve on some of the aspects/characteristics. I'm sure someone else could give you a better history.

Thanks for the post! :)

Corpral_Agarn
December 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
Now that is a mighty fine looking pistol!
Congrats!

Orion8472
December 6, 2012, 10:18 AM
Thank you, Corpral Agarn.

rbertalotto
December 6, 2012, 10:40 AM
I love those High Powers. My local shop has one in 40 S&W that is crying out to me. He only wants $450..............What say the masses?

Orion8472
December 6, 2012, 10:53 AM
Depending on its shape, I say that is a good price. Not too familiar with the .40 Hi Powers.

Certaindeaf
December 6, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'd say that's a real good price as long it's in fair condition. It seems they didn't make many .40's so they're rarer, of course. Don't know that many Hi-Power guys fancy those .40's though.
I'd say get it it you like the .40.

SSN Vet
December 6, 2012, 11:19 AM
that's a very nice looking HP....

there's something about blued steel and hardwood that touches my soul :)

SSN Vet
December 6, 2012, 11:21 AM
What say the masses?

BUY IT !!!!

You will always be able to get your money back out of that one.

DurangoKid
December 6, 2012, 11:23 AM
What a beauty. The P-35 is the real deal when it comes to the 9MM Parabellum.;)

Orion8472
December 6, 2012, 11:29 AM
SSN Vet, . . . unfortunately it isn't blue steel. It is a relatively shiny black finish. It WOULD have been that much better if it had been a sleek smooth blue, though.

Orion8472
December 7, 2012, 08:51 AM
As for the comment about the wood grips, . . . yes, they are nice looking, but wasn't the reason I purchased this particular Hi Power. In fact, I will be putting a Hogue on it as soon as it comes in the mail. I just prefer the feel of the Hogue. Wood like that [IMHO] are for "safe queens". This gun will be shot, and the extra secure feeling of the Hogue will make for better range experiences. ;)

Dmath
December 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
As soon as I figure out how to upload a photo of mine, I will. Meantime, I'll just say that in my opinion, John Moses Browning (praise be unto him) never came up with a better design. . . and yes, I know that it was as much the design of a Belgian named Dieudonne Saive at Fabrique National as his. In my opinion -- and I'm a working illustrator, for what that's worth -- it is the handsomest pistol ever conceived, the firearms equivalent of the P-51.

Mine is the traditional blue with the ring style hammer spur and walnut grips. It is just plain gorgeous.

leadcounsel
December 9, 2012, 03:42 AM
An easy mod to improve the trigger and mag drop is to pop out the mag disconnect. It's a 30 minute job and quite easy.

Orion8472
December 9, 2012, 10:22 AM
Dmath, . . . that was quite the post of high praise. Having said that, it really is hard to debate that. The Hi Power really DOES have a great design, and is very accurate. What makes the design so amazing is the feel of the grip. The recoil is very managable. And the trigger can be quite nice when you have the magazine disconnect taken out.

I'm glad I finally have one again, . . . . and a great one at that!!;)

Orion8472
December 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Got the Hogue in. Fits excellently! Love it! Makes the Hi Power feel so much better than the wood. YMMV

Gonna take it out to the range on Saturday to break in the new grip [like it actually NEEDS that. . . just a good excuse].

mdauben
December 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Much as I love my Glocks, I have to agree that the Hi-Power is an amazing pistol. If I could find a good deal on one, I would buy it in a second. :)

Orion8472
December 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
I suppose the Glock has its place. Probably quite rugged in harsh conditions [though there are others which would be as robust]. But there is something about a HP that is really quite hard to beat. They just feel 'right' in the hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picked up an excellent FN Herstal High Power." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!